Riversdale Technical College Liverpool - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
18:05

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Riversdale Technical College Liverpool

User Tag List

Old 10th December 2008, 14:26

I did Phase 3 Engineer @ Riversdale back in 82/83 and lived in the newer single cabin accommodation next to the original "Aulis" house of Ocean Fleets, although we still used the dining hall attached at the rear of the houses.Phase 1 & 2 cadets lived in the tower block towards the back end of the site
The Kinsman Pub was still the college local and the beer was truly terrible, thank god for the off licence over the road which sold draught beers / wines / spirits.
The young ladies of IM Marsh and others were still as predatory, cheered us on playing rugby at the Oydessey Club next door and played a mean game of hockey.
I had reason to go back to Liverpool recently with work, the old college site & Halls are now fashionable riverside mews houses, however the old Ocean Sports Club ( the Oydessey) is now a sports club.
The Swan in Wood St is still going - it was like a time warp going back, and rumour has it that the Cabin Club is still open, but the old Royal Infirmary Nurses Home is now a car park.
Happy Days
Old 7th March 2009, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29 View Post
Freddy
thanks for reply, yes Halton was the "erm" man.
Yes, I was with Simon Tudor Jones, Jim Laughlin, Richard Walton etc.
Gerry Ludden came from a private radio school that closed down and yes, he was good, especially on radio circuits.
Jim Laughlin went into lecturing, Richard Walton joined Marconi depot in Liverpool.
All the best
Alan

RIP Simon Tudor-Jones. Worked with him on RFA Black Rover, he 2 R/O, gunnery officer, also known as DWARFO - and anyone who knew Simon will know that he was vertically challenged!! Nice guy, sad to hear his loss.

I was at Riversdale 85-88. First year at Riversdale Rd. after that ended up in the city centre in temporary place until the radio section could be set up in Mabel Fletcher college in Old Swan. Madness!

Jim Loughlin is a friend, know him and his family well. My uncle used to be a priest at his church but unfortunately lost contact with him when we moved down to NZ 2 years ago. I know he was working for the RIS down in the midlands last I heard of him.

Happy memories of the place, Gordon Andrews, Willie Williamson to name a few, and Jim of course.

All the best to ex-Riversdale people.
Old 8th July 2009, 23:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Neary View Post
I was at Riversdale from 64-66 and remember the Eggie well. The beer (Walkers of Warrington) was pretty foul and most people seemed to drink it half and half with a bottle of Brown Peter (also awful tack!). My digs were in Alma Road. I made a nostalgic trip back about fifteen years ago and was disappointed to discover that the new Eggy was an ultra-modern soulless sort of place - nothing like the establishment which lost all it's tables and chairs to a pyramid on the main road one Saturday night!
I was living in digs at 144 Alma road at the same time - any connection?
Old 8th September 2009, 12:17

Livepool (Riversdale Friends)

I studied in Liverpool from 83 to 1988. I remember my British friends i.e. Tony Wignal from Liverpool Mr. Whithead...etc

Anyone rememer me, please email me on ([email protected])
Old 8th October 2009, 22:09

I was at Riversdale as BP Deck Cadet in 1980.
Stayed at Kinsman House in Beechwood road. Always remember Derek on the tannoy, "good morning its 0h seven thirty hundred hours"
And whenever an external call came through to the common room it would be announced on the tannoy, great sport getting him to announce " phone call common room Marc Bolan, etc etc".....
I remember the lunchtime orals with the legendary Ivor Rutherford, your turn in the barrel boy. sound one short blast on the ships whistle alter course to starboard and pass round the stern... he got me through those dreaded orals.
Few names I remember Alex Wetton, Dick Biscombe, Ian Starkie, Ian "bones" from RFA" John kennedy, Farhad Cheoum Kherabadi,a foreign Cadet I think, Miss Jones, Tim Leary, Craig (Bo) Story,

great to hear from anyone around that era.
I have photographs which I will post
Best reagards
David
Old 10th October 2009, 22:51

I was at Riversdale about 1975-76 I think, on 1st year of OND marine engineers course. I was a trainee engineer cadet with Bibby Line, but I only stayed about 6 months - home sick (I was only 16 and not from a seafaring background) - I decided engineering wasn't for me after all, but I have fond memories staying at Kinsman House and visiting the Aigburth Arms and a soul music club in Liverpool on a weekend. I too remember that bloke on reception who did the wake up calls on the tannoy of a morning - he sometimes got it wrong "it is now 7:30, I mean 8:30" didn't he have a slight German accent? Anyway he was a good chap, he used to leave the fire door open round the back stairs so we could get in in the early hours of a Sat/Sun morning after a night out, otherwise it was a case of throwing stones up at one of the windows as the front door was locked at around midnight. I rember a formal meal (was it Christmas?) we had in the dining room with the top table occupied by the important folk (maybe the principal of the college was there I can't remember) - anyway I want to own up to what happened after the top table had vacated - whilst the meal was on a cork fired onto our table, so I sneakily throw it over my shoulder back to where I thought it had come from, then someone else on that table throw it back onto our table (this was whilst the top table was still occupied) - the cork was going back wards and forwards for a while followed by bits of orange peel etc - when the top table had vacated fully, a barrage of brussel sprouts were fired at the table nearest the back wall - they all ducked on that table and the wall was plastered with them! I also remember when we had just moved into Kinsman House dorms us freshers were visited one night by the older students and they turned over every bed in the dorms, some with folk still in them - they got a roasting for that! I wish I could remember the names of the other Bibby Line engineer cadets in the dorm with me - there was a lad surname Taylor from Yeadon, and a lad from Sunderland who I used to go down Liverpool with on a Saturday night clubbing, and a lad from Derby (Paul?) About a year or two after I had left Bibby Line they had one of their ships go down off Japan sunk without trace and there were cadets onboard so I think what might have been if I had been unlucky enough to have been on it - I hope none of the lads I knew were on it. I'm now a boring accountant still living in Huddersfield!
Old 7th January 2010, 15:45

Crikey - what amazing memories flood back reading these posts. I was there in 1970/71 as a deck cadet with NZSCo. My other NZS shipmates there were Carl Rolaston (Roly); Bruce Hardy; Lawrence Mowatt (Mo); Tim King; Phil Jarman; Andy Wilson; Martin McCartan (Mac); and Roger Jones (the 'Vicar').

Anyone remember me/us?

Fond memories of 'Greasy Annies'; crowding round the TV watching TOTP; and smuggling a girl or two in from IM Marsh.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be!!

Gary (Jones)
Old 12th January 2010, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddythefrog View Post
Was at Riversdale tech as trainee R/O 1965 to 1967, did all my tickets here, some good lecturers and a great crowd of Radio lads on the courses, had some great times, how time flies.Ah! the memories. I would do it all over again if i could---no regrets at all.
Derek--did you not have some "gaffer tape" to fix the piece of wood back
together or did you need a souvenir?? from the pub up the road--ha-ha.
good old days eh!! regards ftf
PS shame it has all been knocked down now and a housing estate built in place of it.
I was there same time as you but didn`t complete the course as I was commuting by public transpoprt from Southport can you imagine that in `65?and went to sea as a purser.Do you remember Eddie Murphy or John Saphier? that lecturer with west country accent,Parker and of course Mr.Teasedale.
Old 3rd March 2011, 22:23
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 1986

I was at Riversdale between 1975 and 1978 as a deck cadet for P&O. My main memory was from the Tower block, the Engineer cadets glued to the TV on a Sunday evening watching the Muppet Show. The really awful Mild at The Kinsman, Greasy Annie's and of course the Cabin Club on Wood Street ever weekend. Happy times
Old 5th March 2011, 12:10
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1963 - 1995

I was at Riversdale 62-63 doing PMG 2 then PMG 1. Back in 64 for a BOT Radar Cert.

The view of it all on Google Maps is pretty depressing - looks like yuppy flats.

David
+
Old 27th March 2011, 13:05

I too well remember Riversdale Tech; starting there as an Engineer Apprentice with the mighty Brocklebanks as recently as 1955 (or so it seems!)
Also the 'Aiggie' and further up the road a small Bents pub which had a cosy warm fire for a cold day.
As I now live in the area I'm aware of the many changes. The original Aigee was demolished and ultimately a car showroom was built; after several ownerships this too was demolished. Now they are building RETIREMENT APARTMENTS on that site - so they are ready to welcome us back. The attached thumbnail is the site plan and artists impression now posted on the security fencing.
For good measure I've also posted to my gallery some pictures taken in the vicinity.
Enjoy the memories
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Site Plans.JPG (76.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 27th March 2011, 16:30
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Before our finals I used to study at the Aiggie at one of the tables by the bowling green. On the evening before our Math final George Harwood our math teacher was bowling ; he came over and asked why I was studying in a pub . I explained that my digs were too noisy ( land ladys son was a budding Beatle and always making a din with his Guitar)
George looked over my shoulder at the suff I was working on and said " I wouldnt bother with that ! turned over a few pages of my notes and said " wouldnt bother with that either " He did not tell me what to study but it helped knowing what not to bother about .
Indirectly the landladys son and the Aiggie helped me with Math .

Happy Days Derek
Old 23rd October 2011, 18:34

I started at Riversdale the same time as you, Sept. 1962. (49 years ago). I was with Shell Tankers, but gave it up before my apprenticeship was up. I left to do a B.Sc. with CEGB.

It was sad to give it up, I was a bit of a ship freak and spent my weekends going round the docks ship-spotting and going aboad a few varied ships. I decided that a degree with CEGB would lead to a better career.

In my first year I lived just behind the Aigburth, but out at Crosby in my 2nd year.

I remember that my salary was 158 per year in my first year, although we did get 4 7s 6d a week subsistence.
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:49
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Its 50 years ago today ( also a monday ) that I started with Brocklebanks as an apprentice at Riversdale .
About this time of day we were all up at the Aiggie getting to know one another .
I think I will have a beer .
Happy Days Derek
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:25

50 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
Its 50 years ago today . . . . . I think I will have a beer .
Happy Days Derek
We must have started on the same day. I was with Shell.

I was having a beer when notification of your posting came in. I was stood at the rail, with my beer, looking at the poop deck . . . . of a narrowboat, on the marina where I now live.

Since my early leaving of Shell I only met three of my Shell class-mates. Glynn Turnbull, who did the same as me and left Shell to do a B.Sc. and work for CEGB. I only met him once a couple of years after jacking in, and have no idea what happened to him.

I met up with 'Haggis', Ron Young a few years ago. He was living in USA but retired to Scotland a few years ago. We stay in contact.

I also met up with 'Clog', Colin Parsons. This is a very sad tale. Check out the story at,
http://www.peterloud.co.uk/indonesia/jalan_jaksa.html

Is there a British Merchant Navy anymore?

Last edited by peteloud; 3rd September 2012 at 22:20..
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:06
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
This thread is a great 'nostalgia jogger' -I was at Riversdale on the R/o course in 1970 - 1971 when we were 'evacuated' from the Wireless College , Colwyn Bay after it closed. Great memories of the Aigbuth Arms and nights out in Liverpool. Went back in 1973 to do my radar ticket but had more 'disposable income' then as an employed R/O. Shame he place as gone!
Old 6th September 2012, 11:50
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Eccleson View Post
This thread is a great 'nostalgia jogger' -I was at Riversdale on the R/o course in 1970 - 1971 when we were 'evacuated' from the Wireless College , Colwyn Bay after it closed. Great memories of the Aigbuth Arms and nights out in Liverpool. Went back in 1973 to do my radar ticket but had more 'disposable income' then as an employed R/O. Shame he place as gone!
Pete, I think our move came from internal pressure not external vacuum! David
Old 6th September 2012, 14:27

My location
Riversdale

Dave....I believe that you are correct! was the vacuum formed by removal of available cash??? Never did really explore the reasons 'Kipper' shut the show down.
Old 8th September 2012, 17:24
Active: 1972 - 1979

I was at Riversdale from 72 to 74. My first year I lived in Kinsman House. The caretaker / doorman was a polish gentleman. Have happy memories of that first year. 16 years old and had my first pint in a pub in Garston . A new pub was opened on the main Aigburth road , across the road was a chippy "greasy Annies" where I had my first taste of a meat and potato pie. On Sunday's a group of us played war games with miniature soldiers, wish I could remember the gentleman who ran it. I do remember that the meals were awfull .
Old 8th September 2012, 18:15

Quote:
Dave....I believe that you are correct! was the vacuum formed by removal of available cash??? Never did really explore the reasons 'Kipper' shut the show down.
Pete, At the time I thought we all assumed that the cost of fitting the needed SSB and tighter tolerance kit wasn't 'worth the candle'. David V

Last edited by Varley; 9th September 2012 at 12:11.. Reason: typo
Old 10th September 2012, 00:17

My location
Dave - I am sure that a 'bit of marketing' at the time would no have been misplaced. A sob story to Marconi, IMRC and KH would have produced the goods at little to no cost no doubt. Ah well! That's nostalgia for you.
Old 10th September 2012, 08:52
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Dave - I am sure that a 'bit of marketing' at the time would no have been misplaced. A sob story to Marconi, IMRC and KH would have produced the goods at little to no cost no doubt. Ah well! That's nostalgia for you.
I know that Marconi gave "special discounts" for equipment supplied to radio colleges (I suppose all our competitors did likewise) but not having been involved on the sales side, I don't know the amounts involved. But I would point out that by 1988, when SOLAS was amended to adopt GMDSS, it was already crystal clear that there would be no further requirement for ships to carry a dedicated radio officer - GMDSS had been over 10 years in the making!

The UK's Dept. of Transport had reversed its previous policy of setting high standards for the construction, manning and operation of British ships and instead had stated its intention to apply only the minimal standards set by IMO. So it was probable that someone responsible for the funding of Riversdale, recognising that the British shipping and shipbuilding industries were in steep decline and that the remaining businesses were already moving away from the UK, decided that further investment was not justified by the foreseeable reduction in demand for British officers and crews.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 10th September 2012, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
I know that Marconi gave "special discounts" for equipment supplied to radio colleges...But I would point out that by 1988, when SOLAS was amended...

... minimal standards set by IMO...
Ron, Pete and I are talking of 1970 not 90. We and others of Colwyn Bay's first MRGC intake were turfed out after year one, decanted to Riversdale. Year two only did practical (bar morse of course) but Colwyn Bay was equipped with Oceanspan era kit with not a semiconductor (of more than two electrodes anyway) in sight - I guess the lecturers would have needed some upskilling as well. With publically funded colleges still providing radio courses I suppose there may also have been issues with student grants. All in all I suspect the return on additional investment was unattractive (or perhaps suicidal).

I cannot resist adding that I don't think the standards of IMO are the problem or that much different from UK (having been largely drafted from them). I grant perfomance specifications like echo sounders - UK; phasing not permitted, IMO not mentioned. Radar; target colour to be independent of return strength - were different and, by and large, less stringent. The issue is how 'spritually' Johnny Foreigner adheres to them. An owner can have a good ship registered under the least attentive flag. He can also have a British registered wreck. Perhaps it is because that same wreck would have had to have British officers that it could trade despite its disadvantages. Any fool can run a competently designed and built vessel when its young - it is in its teenage years that finessing tells.
Old 10th September 2012, 12:57
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Ron, Pete and I are talking of 1970 not 90. We and others of Colwyn Bay's first MRGC intake were turfed out after year one, decanted to Riversdale.
Apologies for misreading your posts. I thought you were referring to the closure of Riversdale, not Colwyn Bay.

As far as the comparison of IMO recommendations with the UK equipment performance standards is concerned, the crux was that in the 1980s (and subsequently) the DoT was under Government direction to reject all attempts to modify the old UK specs (largely dating from the 1960s) in order to reflect developments in technology. I was a member of various UK industry working groups and committees involved and the DoT/DTI civil servants were very unhappy with the change.

The official justification was on the grounds that the old UK specs satisfied the existing IMO standards and the UK government was committed not to demand anything of a higher grade for their shipping. It was deemed to be a handicap on the British shipowner to demand any higher standards or the adoption of new ideas. So although technology moved on, the UK carriage requirements and standards stood still, until others had caught up. They now move only when IMO (a facility for determining the lowest common denominator and then adopting it for future application, after a decade or two) deems necessary.

UK companies that had developed more advanced technology were unable to sell it in their home market - shipowners in general fitted only what the regulations demanded. Denied a home market, they had great difficulty selling overseas.

An example of an alternative approach was the development of anti-collision radar where, following its development by American manufacturers and some high profile marine incidents, the USA unilaterally demanded the fitting of anti-collision radar on all vessels (regardless of registry) in certain categories when visiting the USA. All vessels, note, not just its own flag ships. Not much evidence there of sticking to IMO standards. Only US manufacturers benefited from the new carriage requirement.

Later, when carriage of ARPA was strong-armed through IMO, which country had manufacturers offering such products off the shelf?

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 10th September 2012, 20:38
Active: 1963 - 1995

Ron -

I did my PMG at Riversdale in 1962-63. The main Tx It was an Oceanspan (VII I think) that we were told was from the spare Radio Room on the Gothic during the Royal Tour. Had you heard of this before, or can you confirm it ?

David
+