Poplar Technical College 1975-77/78 - Ships Nostalgia
00:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Poplar Technical College 1975-77/78

User Tag List

Old 22nd December 2006, 09:11

Poplar Technical College 1975-77/78

Served my engineering cadetship with BP here.Stayed in King Teds,Mariners Hotel and Queen Vics.Good times.Would be great to hear from old classmates.
Local pubs:Charles Napier,Londener,Red Star? Remember the grub at king teds:3 shades of baked bean,the darker the older they were.What was the name of the tug at St catherines Dock we worked on.what happened to it?What was the name of the annexe where we did workshop practice?
Anyone out there from that time?
IAIN
Old 29th January 2007, 00:07

Hi Ian,

I did Phase 3 at Poplar , I was much as you tell it. I was in RFA in King Teds, METAC.
Food was terrible, other pubs Star of the East, Green Man at College.
Didn't work on the tug. The annexe was just North Woolwich workshops.
Spent too much time on the piss. For my sins I operate gas plant (LNG) for National Grid now.

Regards,

Lindsay Ferguson (gasman)
Old 4th February 2007, 14:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
I was at Poplar Tech from 1970, Mariner Hotel, King Teds, the annex was at Woolwich, just past the sugar factory which used to stink. We had some great times there, expecially in Phase 3, having been to sea, we knew it all!!!
There was a boozer adjacent to the Londoner - The Pigots Arms I think it was called. I think they have knocked it down along with Pigot Street.
Guys Hospital on a Saturday, Raggy Mags on a Thursday and a teachers training college on a Wednesday - the name of which escapes me. Good times.
Old 6th February 2007, 10:23
bjd

My location
I started at Poplar with the RFA in 1969 but lived in manor park and forrest gate near the police station. I remember we used to spend more time playing cricket in the yard during phase 3, another trick was trying to blow the main breaker whilst in the electrical section o happy days
Old 8th February 2007, 09:10

My location
We had a house in Forest Gate with 6 off us in it - totally out of control. We all got moved back to King Teds before having a period of living in a removal van. Happy days.
Old 15th February 2007, 02:11
Active: 1955 - 1962

I studied for my Second's steam ticket at Poplar Tech in 1962. I always thought the most amusing time was lining up for the dole, was it each week, too long ago to remember.
I reckon it was one of the most well dressed dole lines in London. There was a system whereby your company did not pay you fully on ticket leave so the dole was there to 'top' it off. All very legit but sounded really odd!
I went back in 1999 to look at some of my old roots and was totally taken aback at the area, just overwhelmed by Canary Wharf.
Graham Wallace
Old 15th February 2007, 13:10

My location
Thumbs up

Hi Ian,

Nick here, you started a goodly chat here! The workshop place in phase 1 was Empson Street, i think we only did North Woolwich annexe in the third phase.
Doxfordman, it was Goldsmiths College on Wednesdays, God knows how we stood the pace.
Old 15th February 2007, 15:09
bjd

My location
I have remember happy times on thursday nights at raggy mags and a couple of times the fire alsrm going off in the early hours and seeing your fellow students trying to hide from the head count. You could also tell who never made it home on a thursday night by their dress on friday morning at Woolwich.

was it one of Scroggins???? House's in Forest Gate

Bryan
Old 15th February 2007, 18:30

My location
Scroggins was the name - geez the memories, and Goldsmiths - that was it.

There was never any time for much study - most of waht wasa done was through an empty glass. Happy, happy days.
Old 22nd February 2007, 16:34

Hi Nick,
"Empsons St". Thats it! ...on Mondays.

The tug we worked on was called the "Challenge": the last working steam tug on the Thames.It was volantary,on Sat` at St Catherines Dock

What night was Whitelands Teachers Training College!?.
Old 26th February 2007, 20:34
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
I was there a bit later than that - 1981 -1983 for phase 1, the academic side had moved to Greenhithe but did the summer vacation at Woolwich and one day a week workshop in the second year. Stopped at Angel Hostel, Victoria Dock Road. Back down there last month - all changed now - the Angel Hostel appears to be flats (social housing?) and the front door is bricked up, Pub "Spanish Steps" many an exciting evening in there - shades of the Rawhide scene from Blues Brothers - all gone now - a hotel as best as I can make out where it was. Only pub in Custom House now is "The Connaught" which was boarded up when I was there. Couldnt find the site of the North Woolwich annex.

Greenhithe is now yuppieville - the college is an (expensive) housing estate, the pub that was "The White Hart" (Outside loos and 24 hour drinking 20 years too soon) is now an upper class bar/eating house.

I think "The Challenge" failed it's boiler survey and was scuttled as a dive site - the engine is now in the science museum - certainly one ship used by the cadets was.

Sic transit gloria mundi - happy days!!
Old 1st March 2007, 13:12
bjd

My location
Another place selling falling down water which we used when at Poplar was The Spotted Dog in Forest Gate

A memory of Empsom Street the six week course during the summer break between Years 1 & 2 and at the time I was there Skinheads were the Fashion a bit intimidating until you got to them

Bryan
Old 8th March 2007, 17:03

My location
We were in the King Ted's Seaman's Rest, corner of Commercial Road and Salmon Lane. The drinking holes for us in 75-77 were the Charles Napier on Commercial Road, run by a real 'geeza' named Rick. Was always getting raided by the Old Bill at 2am, and a lot of us were under 18 as well! But if you lived at King Teds they didn't used to bother. Also drank at the Star of the East and The Londoner, live music from an all girl band named Brandy, lead singer later fronted Shakatak. Topless barmaids on Sundays. Memories are made of this!

Later moved to a smaller seamans hostel on the junction of Commercial Road, Burdett Road, West India Dock Road and East India Dock Road, (opposite The Londoner) but can't remember the hostel name.

For our 3rd phase in 78 KingTeds had become a battered womens refuge and we moved down West India Dock Road to Queen Victoria's Seamans Rest. Still used the Star of the East but also some pubs in the backstreets behind Queen Vics, again, can't remember the names. Iain, can you fill in any gaps?

Of course, Poplar College is something you look down on from Canary Wharf these days, but i believe the Green Man is still there on Poplar Hight St. near to the college.

Cheers,

BigNick
Old 13th March 2007, 04:21

Hi Nick,
Mariners Hotel as i recall.Can`t remember any pub names at back of Vics.Their was one pub though we were physicaly ejected from and had to run for it.Their was a birthday party on.One of our lot chatted up the birthday girl,not realizing the big bloke next to him was the boyfriend.All hell let loose.The pub was full of friends and familly they all joined in as we ran a gauntlet of kicks and punches.Can`t remember name of pub though.Stuck to the Star after that.
Iain
Old 13th March 2007, 11:48

My location
The Mariners, course it was. Nice one Iain.

Nick
Old 14th March 2007, 21:36

My location
Anyone remember the Pigot Arms - just accross the road from the Londoner - great boozer.
Old 25th April 2007, 00:14

Poplar tech

Hello fellow Poplarites, I just found this thread and it brought back some memories. I did the OND course 1968-1970 - remember the Empson Street annex well, mostly for trying to weld my fingers together with an oxy-acetylene torch. Does anyone remember the ex-RN guy that taught naval architecture? Was it Commander Martin? He took us all down to Pompey for a day in the RN's damage control simulator, near drowned half of us.
Did my "vacation training" at Caird & Rayners on Commercial Road, making evaporators , and stayed in the Mariner's Hotel.
Also remember an epic three-legged pub crawl from the college for charity round most of the local pubs mentioned, finishing up in the Londoner, and all getting chucked out when one of our number threw up on the stairs. As one of our number has already observed - happy days, indeed.
Old 25th April 2007, 09:25
bjd

My location
I also remember the 3 legged pub crawl whilst at poplar was it a half in every pub and do es anyone remember the football games at Hackney Marshes a bit chilly when the wind blew across them

Bryan
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:30

My location
Steve,

Yes it was definitely Commander Martin, tall white haired bloke as i recall, still going strong 1975 to 1978.

BigNick
Old 6th May 2008, 20:38

Same same

I was there at the same time as you and also worked on the old tug. Funny that most of us never got to sail her when she left on her second maiden voyage.
Of course, your dredging up some old memories for me. i left the service in '80 to move to America.
Love to hear from anyone, especially old friends, Nic, Tim, Ian I, et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iang View Post
Served my engineering cadetship with BP here.Stayed in King Teds,Mariners Hotel and Queen Vics.Good times.Would be great to hear from old classmates.
Local pubs:Charles Napier,Londener,Red Star? Remember the grub at king teds:3 shades of baked bean,the darker the older they were.What was the name of the tug at St catherines Dock we worked on.what happened to it?What was the name of the annexe where we did workshop practice?
Anyone out there from that time?
IAIN
Old 24th August 2008, 21:47

Poplar 77 / 78

Hi , anyone remeber Martin Butler from Banbury , he drove an old Mini Cooper that was his pride and joy.
I did my sea time with him on the British Kennet before coming to Poplar , Steve Fry ( Tuck) was another cadet with BP who did his first phase at South Shields.
I also recall Don Reith ( Scouser) who played decent football while the rest of us were crap.
Other names that come to mind , Dick parker and Tony Heathcote , both BP Cadets I seem to remember.

Anyway Happy days were had by all , what about the Phoenix pub also , used to be a bit more upmarket and remember the owner had a big photo of Frank Sinatra hanging up in it , seemed to be his pride and joy. ( maybe it wasn't upmarket , it was loooong time ago)

Cheers ,....Doug Duncan
Old 24th August 2008, 22:09

Phoenix is still there, but everywhere else, apart from Bum Daddies is gone

Chris
Old 27th January 2009, 13:35

King Teds 70-72

OMG what memories of phase 1 god bless ur memories as I couldnt for the life of me remember the Napiers name, what was the name of the guy in charge of us in King Teds, can recall playing ten pin Bowling down one of the corridors with real milk bottles and a brick , what were we??? Can Remember Girling as Head of Dept, Commander Firkin? 2ic and a little fellow alway wore a Blazer with MN on the breast Pocket, Paddy O'Rourke who was the guy in the powewr plant room, other names I recall would be John Jenkins ( Houlders) John Heaton ( Holders) Chas Wilkie ( Blue Star) Pete Harnby ( BP?)
Rag Macs = Rachel MacMillian Training Coll. all in a distant alcohol fuel past,

Duncan McGregor Tompkins ( Furness Withy and Houlders )
Old 27th January 2009, 19:09
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonguish View Post
OMG what memories of phase 1 god bless ur memories as I couldnt for the life of me remember the Napiers name, what was the name of the guy in charge of us in King Teds, can recall playing ten pin Bowling down one of the corridors with real milk bottles and a brick , what were we??? Can Remember Girling as Head of Dept, Commander Firkin? 2ic and a little fellow alway wore a Blazer with MN on the breast Pocket, Paddy O'Rourke who was the guy in the powewr plant room, other names I recall would be John Jenkins ( Houlders) John Heaton ( Holders) Chas Wilkie ( Blue Star) Pete Harnby ( BP?)
Rag Macs = Rachel MacMillian Training Coll. all in a distant alcohol fuel past,

Duncan McGregor Tompkins ( Furness Withy and Houlders )
John Girling finished as head of Engineering at Greenhithe, unfortunately passed on about 3 years ago.

Duncan
Old 29th January 2009, 14:46

I was at Poplar for phase 3 in 64/65, it was the year the N Woolwich annex was first opened, we spent half our time first term getting things running. A very enjoyable year.
I was at the boat show last year, so I took a drive down to N Woolwich to see what was there, I wish I hadn't bothered.