Ships Nostalgia banner

Uncle John and other Houlder Offshore Vessels

44K views 114 replies 33 participants last post by  Geoff of Hull 
#1 ·
Hello everyone just to let any old officers and crews know,that up to 18 month ago John Houlder was looking as fit as a fiddle.
I was at a Houlder reunion in Newcastle and JH flew himself in from London to Newcastle at the age of 91 I believe after coming over from Argentina or Uruguay. He made a speech and certainly had it all there and spared a hand shake and yarn with all Masters and AB's.
Incidentally I served on Oswestry Grange,Clerk Maxwell,Hornby Grange,Orelia (1st)Orelia (now still working) and Uncle John,as well as the Pacific Northwest. Geoff of Hull

#2 ·
Yes Geoff, it seems that at 91 he is a lot more on the ball than most of us and I will be only to happy to have half his ability when I get to his age.

I had to do a little thinking about that last ship you mentioned (whilst not a proper Maltese Cross, I am sure she was was fine ship none the less (Jester) ) - Built in 1954, sold in 1971 and re-named Aegis Power, and scrapped in 1974

#3 ·
Thanks for comment

I too was with Houlders when the take over took place most likely read the same letter as you how they were increasing the fleet immediately with the transfer of the "Pacific Wasa" to the fleet.Then the dark days.
I am presently sailing with some ex Houlder men as I was with the "Uncle John" when she went through various change of hands as well as the "Orelia" from Houlder offshore hence the reunion with big John and the guys of the Maltese cross

#5 ·
Hello Leo..I believe there should be one this year in the New Forest area previous ones were in Newcastle but to even it up they said down south.
Will try and find out, it may be difficult as I have recently changed address but will definately be trying most likely when I get home after this trip..If you can remember any names will try and remember who was there I will post a group photo on the site once again when I get home...Geoff

#6 ·
Hello Geoff.
Would appreciate that group photo. Names well!!! my memory isn't what it was but I'm sure Kevin Campbell was there.
Willy Vermullen,Mike Mitchell,Mike Waterton,Angus Davidson,Danny Harrington are other names I remember from the Offshore side of things.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

#7 ·
Danny Harrington

Hi Leo...old Danny well I was with him the day he retired at the grand old age of 67 and he was still asked back after that to go as HLO..He was last seen walking around Aberdeen docks 18 month ago he was reminiscing and had travelled up from South Wales for the day out.
I still keep in touch with Norman McSween and some of the others at the reunion are .Mick Bowlen.Robby Dowsing,Keith Summers,Davy Wilkins,The Wrexham rat,Little Reg (electrician)Ian Scott Some of the guys are still on the "John "but working in the US gulf for CalDive she is sample drilling

#8 ·
Hi Geoff.
Those names brought back some memories. Do you remember these names from the Catering Dept. Garry Jones,Dave Cheeseman,Tommy Mckenna,Malcom Gardner. The Uncle John had a superb name for the standard of catering on board. Wonderful memories.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

#14 ·
Uncle John reunion

For all the interested people who have been in touch with me about the reunions have been informed there will not be one this year but maybe next year..I have been asked to let people know through the site any details that may be planned ...Asked if John Houlder was still around and as far as they know he is ...Geoff

#15 ·
For all the interested people who have been in touch with me about the reunions have been informed there will not be one this year but maybe next year..I have been asked to let people know through the site any details that may be planned ...Asked if John Houlder was still around and as far as they know he is ...Geoff
Thanks for that Geoff, keep in touch.
Regards(Thumb)

#20 ·
Hi Robbie.
Welcome aboard. I remember Murrey McCloud very well, in fact Night Cooks did not come much better than him. He trained quite a few of Houlder's young Galley Staff who did very well for themselves. Steve Morgan ended up as Chief Cook on the Shelf Driller(Explorer) then he retrained through Transocean as a roustabout and is now a Crane Op. on a gas platform off Yarmouth( The last time I was in touch).
Regards(Thumb)
PS Sorry to hear about Tommy, knew him in the early days on "Oregis"

#21 ·
Was Simon Macadam Robbie

Hi Robbie..yes it was Simon mcadam,both him and his father were at the last Uncle John reunion..
There are still a few of us Uncle John people about working "Technip" which is about the 3rd name change of the company since houlder offshore went..To name but a few with Technip...Sam Angay,Robbie Dowsing,Keith Summers,Willie Jackson,Ian Liddle,Simon Mcadam,Andy Hood,Murray Hessleton,Dave Wilkins has just retired,Dave Kirsley ,Jim Watt,Jim Davis,Tony Duck. sure the must be a few more still working for Technip..Hope you remember some of them

#22 ·
murry trained me,i went on to be nite baker on a few houlders rigs kuk, shelf ,transocean leader, to8.
ye steve did well,i was his best man at his wedding.Is that Sam the crane driver Geoff,what a nice guy.Is he still doing his rope weaving i still have one he did me must be 25yrs old now.

#23 ·
Just been reading this thread, and a lot of the names spring to mind!
I worked on the UJ under "Murray Heseltine", (a first class Chef in my book).
I was a steward at the time, and "Robbie", i know you, and i remember we couldn't speak to you if Liverpool lost(==D) .
"Leo", you know me well, would be good to see you again one day.
"Geoff", were you the welder on "Transocean Discoverer"?
I ended up as Night Baker on "Transocean Explorer". Then fancied something different and shifted to the deck/drilling side. Eventually worked as Derrickman on "Shelf Explorer" / "Leader" before deciding to try my hand ashore. That was 4 years ago, and yeah i do miss "the game", but i don't think i would return now.
But memories, oh yeah (Thumb) !

#24 ·
Not me Cliff

Hi Cliff ...just got me in time..arrived back in the UK yesterday from India were Technip (old Stena offshore) have quite a bit of work..
I was Crane driver up to her last trip in the North Sea..got off 2 days before she layed up in Rosyth...Murray has done 2 trip with the unit I am on this last year for a week or two filling in he works for ESS now.Regards Geoff

#31 ·
Greetings all ex-UJ and Houlder guys. Yes I am still alive I found this place by accident. I left Stena/NMM in 2003 and I am presently employed as an HR Manager at a paper mill outside Aberdeen been here for 5yrs. I say presently as I the place is closing down with the loss of 400 or so jobs, so I will be in joining the ranks of the unemployed soon. For all those who remember me I hope your all doing in both health and wealth. I hear from cuddles (Alan Smith) now and then and the occasional email from a few others.

Take care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.