Gravesend sea school - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
09:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Gravesend sea school

User Tag List

Old 2nd December 2006, 19:38

My location
NSTs Greavsend,1968 November, Dorm 2,Damn coldNo food parcels but home for 'crimbo'.
two weeks break from 'MIGHTY MOUSE'.
Remember him? can't remember his name, senior seamanship officer! I think was his rating.
would he still be around or crossed the bar already?
Sure he said he was proud of being the boson on the 'Ark'.
Great fella, scourge of all peanuts when working, loads of stories for wannabe captain Cooks, when off watch.

Just moved back to UK for a few months, sorting out family matters, found suitcase at mothers full of my old photo's, I'll see if any or which are worth sharing.
Great site, Don't have web back home, will rectify that soonest!
used to sail with NZSco on M.V.Matoura (1970), had a second stwd on her (no name again) always wore cut down boiler suit. Thought he was gods gift to the company & everyone else, Any further 'happier' recollections of him or what he's doing now.

T/y
Old 2nd December 2006, 19:57

Penguin,'Peni Tremendi', the late great Mr Newbury, best friend of Mad Jack, Mr Jackson, who Magregor hatch wheels were named after 'Eccentric' . A survivor of many sinkings in WW2, a man who 'Flew the Flag' on rememberance Sunday. He used to line us up before 'Going ashore' & if anyone had navy blue socks on instead of the regulation black your shore leave was stopped & shore card taken away. Where would some of us be without the discipline these blokes forked out, free of charge & can you imagine todays youth putting up with it? Happy days, 'May their sole's be forever guided by fair winds & calm seas'
Old 4th December 2006, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCardle View Post
Penguin,'Peni Tremendi', the late great Mr Newbury, best friend of Mad Jack, Mr Jackson, who Magregor hatch wheels were named after 'Eccentric' . A survivor of many sinkings in WW2, a man who 'Flew the Flag' on rememberance Sunday. He used to line us up before 'Going ashore' & if anyone had navy blue socks on instead of the regulation black your shore leave was stopped & shore card taken away. Where would some of us be without the discipline these blokes forked out, free of charge & can you imagine todays youth putting up with it? Happy days, 'May their sole's be forever guided by fair winds & calm seas'
Here here.
Old 6th December 2006, 12:47

Yeah those discos..it was similar to hundreds of flys swarming round a couple of Richard the Thirds !...
Those anti clap and Vd films were pretty horrible as well !
Old 6th December 2006, 16:16

Do'nt for the trip to see the dentist now that was something you wo'nt forget in a hurry.When were you there Tabnab,I was from Sept to Dec,also did you do the marching for Rememberance Sunday?
Old 9th December 2006, 10:41

Ello Broady, Yeah I was there from Oct78-Jan79 did'nt do the marching thou gh but I remember watching them practice across the courtyard.think it was leading hands only wasn't it ? I remember the chap who used to teach us bridge work and that steering contraption...THE POPEYE BOAT that used to give off a loud alarm bell when you went off course ...Everytime I hear a fire alarm now I always think of that thing and how we used to get kicked off !
Old 16th December 2006, 22:37

Tillo, Mighty Mouse was still there in 71. In fact I had completely forgot him until your post jogged my memory. I can just see the diminutive fellow strutting about looking mean. His role at the NSTS in 71 was boatswain.
Old 21st December 2006, 19:07

I was at Gravesend from april to june 1974 and though i think my time at sea was the best days of my life the abiding memory of Gravesend is these silly little men working there with more rings on their uniforms than admirals of the fleet and so bloody self important with it.
Old 21st December 2006, 20:19
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1965 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve d View Post
I was at Gravesend from april to june 1974 and though i think my time at sea was the best days of my life the abiding memory of Gravesend is these silly little men working there with more rings on their uniforms than admirals of the fleet and so bloody self important with it.
Yes, but never forget that these were the blokes that dedicated their 'now' working life to put us through the required training to allow us to do what we see as 'the best years of our working lives'.

I for one am indebted to these men, even though when I got on my first ship, the Clutha River, the cook told me to forget everything I had learnt at the Training School.
We had to go to these schools for the training, or it would have been much harder to go to sea, and we shouldn't lose sight of that.
Old 24th December 2006, 16:54
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 1989

Quote:
steve d. You were just a few weeks ahead of me. I was there from May28th to September 20th 1974. We had just 4 weeks to complete when the Summer holiday, of I think 3 weeks, kicked in.
It was certainly a time I will never forget. I was in "U" class.
It was only afterwards when you eventually got to sea that you realised how "phoney" some of these so called officers were, but I certainly remained indebted to them for giving me the start I received.
Not coming from a nautical upbringing and living in The midlands I managed 15 years service, so they must have stood me in some kind of good stead.
Old 24th February 2007, 08:15

My location
A good laugh Gravesend was. Was there in 'V' class Dec '79 - March '80. First ship was the Texaco Rotterdam up The Baltic somewhere.
Old 24th February 2007, 16:13

I noticed that most of the posting come from inmates from the 1970's and 80's Anyone there in 1958 or am I the only one still breathing
Old 10th March 2007, 23:17

Seems like I'm the oldest to post

I was there during summer 1956 in the old building

It was a dump and we had scratchy uniforms, and scratchy blankets

Best wishes to you all

Mark F
Old 10th March 2007, 23:59

Quote:
"All those silly little men" had had a hard life trying to get things to stick in our brains. Everyone of them, including the Bast**** should have had a medal!!

Last edited by Pat McCardle; 11th March 2007 at 11:15..
Old 11th March 2007, 18:21
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - 1981

My location
I was at gravesend January to April 73 X class if I remember rightly.Anyone remember Mr Reath (think spellings right) He seemed quite a character at the time and taught us a few new words. Once I shipped out found he was very similar in character to a lot of seamen
Old 12th March 2007, 23:51
Tony D

There are a couple of websites dedicated to Gravesend NSTS,lots of course photographs ect ,had a Hard Disk disaster a while back and lost all me favourite URLs,will try and locate them again,I'm a bit supprised nobody else seemed to have discovered the Albion Shades,we used to sit and make a pint of black Velvet last all night,I do recal the natives of Gravesend used to delight in reporting lads out of uniform,ie cap off or buttons undone.
I recal how proud I was sitting in the train back home looking at my brand new discharge book and ID card.
Just looking at that book,it's a bit tattered now the signature of the Supt dated 20th Jan 1961 looks like R A Mellors, but it is a bit of a scrawl.
I still have the group photo of my intake.
Old 13th March 2007, 00:22

Hi

I have been back to the Sea School at Gravesend on a recent First Aid Course. A gap of 21 years almost to the day I joined. Some of the instructors remembered instructors in the earlier time and I had a bit of a chat with them. I did not remember any of the places I went to during the weekends off. Everything is so different, even the area around the collage itself. Outside the classroom where we did the first aid course, there were a lot of buildings. It took almost a day to realise there was something odd about them. They were only half built. The instructor told me it used to be a plain field in which he played golf on. It used to be the sport field. They are used by the Police for training with.
I had a pleasent 4 days in Gravesend during which the whole town was closed down due to a suspect package. I only found out the next day when the other pupils told me. (They were all local teachers, doing a first aid course for their work, I was the only seafarer among them).

Regards
Karl
Old 16th March 2007, 15:42
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1975 - 1991

I was at Gravesend from July to October 1975
I remember Titcomb and Rashbrooke but the one thing that springs to mind are BEANS seemed to have them with everything

I do remember going on a weekend away with the flying angel went to a campsite at Ross-on Wye lets just say that the vicar went mental when a few of the boys absconded and ended up pissed in town (remember we were all just sweet 16 !
Old 25th March 2007, 03:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Mackintosh View Post
Was at Graves End 1949,anyone remember Sweeney Todd??
Sweeney was still there in 1976, in fact if I remember correctly he retired a few week after giving me his infamous and obligatory haircut!

Shaun
Old 25th March 2007, 03:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Mackintosh View Post
Was at Graves End 1949,anyone remember Sweeney Todd??
Sweeney was still there in 1976, in fact if I remember correctly he retired a few week after giving me his infamous and obligatory haircut in his shack adjacent to the lifeboat classrooms!

I also remember 'Mad Jack', the steering instructor on the 'Popeye' boat on the bridge of the building.

I was in W Class, June-October 1976 and my dormitory was directly above the officers bar, used to lay in the bunk at night listening to the drone and smelling the aroma. Chinese torture or what?

Shaun
Old 26th April 2007, 03:16

whent to gravesend 20/9/71 to 22/12/71 deck x class and sailed with houlder line what happy days .all the best tim

Last edited by tim frary; 26th April 2007 at 03:25..
Old 26th April 2007, 10:57

My location
The Gravesend Sea School (the "new" one that is, down on the Denton Marshes) is now the Metropolitan Police's firearms and riot control training school. It is, in fact, my nearest neighbour at the back of my house. A small part of the grounds are still used by what is left of the merchant navy school (which is now located in the nearby North West Kent College) for firefighting training and the lifeboats on the jetty are still used.
Much of the rest of the grounds have been converted into a mock town for training the coppers to kill people. Also there are a couple of train carriages and the fuselage of an airliner. Occasionally we see guys sliding down ropes out of helicopters. Local rumour has it that it's not the police who are doing that but the SAS. The Met Police also use the Milton firing range, next door to the school so that, with that and riot control training going on in the Sea School site, it regularly sounds like World War 3 has broken out down there.
I guess some of you are referring to the old Sea School, which was upriver from here, between the Promenade and the Custom House and nearer the town centre. That site is now occupied by riverside, 'yuppie' flats.
Whereas the 'peanuts' could always be recognised by their uniforms, they later became anonymous when they were forbidden to wear their uniforms when going into town. This was to try to stop the local yobs' tradition of 'peanut bashing' - picking fights on the cadets. Very often the locals would come off much worse in these fights as they were coming up gainst some real, northern hard-nuts.
After the uniform ban, likely 'peanuts' could still be quite easily pinpointed by their Scots, Scouse, Geordie accents. I know I had a narrow escape in a Gravesend pub when I was a lad when a couple of local head-bangers picked up my Scots accent and were after a punch-up. But I never went to the Sea School; I was just an immigrant - with a white face! I escaped.

Last edited by bobs; 26th April 2007 at 10:59..
Old 26th April 2007, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd young View Post
I noticed that most of the posting come from inmates from the 1970's and 80's Anyone there in 1958 or am I the only one still breathing
Hey I was there in 1949 , and I think i'm still breathing,didn't see my name in the obit' page either
Old 26th April 2007, 20:25

My location
Hi all
I was at Gravesend Sept 67 - Dec 67 ...T class , had the peanut gibes from all the locals as well as the rest of the lads still remember training to do the rememberance day parade . even went up to London for a practice session the week before, but missed out because of 2 trips to the dentist in Gravesend, for 17 fillings ,couldn,t eat for a week (thankfully) and wasn,t allowed to march in case the damned fillings fell out lol
happy days....
Old 6th May 2007, 00:11

Nsts Gravesend 1973

Met guys from all over the uk and had a ball,couple of fights,put back for a week,belted with Frys wooden spoon,rowed the bosun up the thames to pub and back again when hed had his fill,met a Canadian catering teacher who hated the English!!!!still got my seamans discharge book uk008446,prized possession,i had a great time at Gravesend and went on to have a great mad time,id do it all again and be twice as mad!!!