Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships - Page 39 - Ships Nostalgia
01:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships

User Tag List

Old 26th November 2014, 19:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconiman View Post
My first ship as 2 Rad/op was Brandon Priory six months 1962/1963. Mainly back and forth the Gulf to Aden. The old man was Capt D Parkin. I think the Ch/Off was Luff and 1st/Off Harrington 2nd Tim Yeo x2nd Gisawski.

I was with Marconi and again sent to another Houlder ship in 1963, smaller tanker and better run, Atlantic ports, co-incidentally Capt Parkin again in command and I don't think he was very pleased to see me being a very young and inexperienced RO and now on my own. To make matters worse the 3rd mate Dave Stone, for a prank, lined the Radio Room desk with many used beer cans and piled up ash trays. Did I have lecture the next day re drinking on watch. Never split on him though (boarding school training). I got my own back on him later though!

Another incident in Trinadad when he and I and others were arrested in a bar somewhere in the jungle after a brawl. It hit the News of the World after a court case in UK, with the headlines 'Modern Captain Bligh on high seas'. But that's another story.
I read Capt Parkin has 'crossed the bar' now he was a good man and at the time the youngest of Masters at 32, he came from Yorkshire. Memories in the Radio Room of Sparks 'get the BBC news tuned in' during the Cuban missile crisis when one didn't know if the Russian ships would turn back (1962).
Marconiman,
Was Trinidad incident on the Abadesa 1963 ? I seem to remember this or similar when I was on her.
Geoff.
Old 27th November 2014, 00:03

ctp d parkin and his assistant mr bachelor sent me to the brandon priory in november 68 they looked after me until the furness whithy destruction of houlder s they were the best personel department [hr in todays speke]that i ever worked under
Old 27th November 2014, 00:08

i know capt parkin crossed the bar a number of years ago but i never knew what mr batchelor did after houlders anybody know
Old 27th November 2014, 02:11
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob mcc View Post
i know capt parkin crossed the bar a number of years ago but i never knew what mr batchelor did after houlders anybody know
He went to work at Buckingham Palace
Old 2nd December 2014, 21:11

Hi my names Ray Allen sailed with Houlders

Stolt Spur Sept 75-dec 75
Joya McCance Jan 76-Aug 76
Cavendish Feb 77 -Aug 77
Faraday Nov 77 - May 78
OT July 78
Westbury Aug 78- Sept78
Cavendish May 79- Aug 79

Then worked for Zapata offshore oil rigs supply as C Mate
Then Sanko Marine as 2/0 till 81
Old 10th December 2014, 15:04
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1961 - 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff. foxton View Post
Marconiman,
Was Trinidad incident on the Abadesa 1963 ? I seem to remember this or similar when I was on her.
Geoff.
Indeed it was. Sailed on Abadesa Sept '63 - Jan '64. Maracaibo/Trinidad to East coast US, remember arrival Portland Maine day after Kennedy was shot, everything closed, sombre music on radio stations. The Trinidad incident was probably on account of the rum.
Old 10th December 2014, 19:29
Active: 1961 - 1966

It confirms I was on her same time as you, I have found cutting out of News of the World regarding incident in Trinidad. I can post it if you want ?
Geoff.
Old 11th December 2014, 14:43
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1961 - 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff. foxton View Post
It confirms I was on her same time as you, I have found cutting out of News of the World regarding incident in Trinidad. I can post it if you want ?
Geoff.
Hello Geoff
Yes same voyage, over 50 years ago, I was 18 then. Would much appreciate if you could scan and send, will email you now.

Mike
Old 19th December 2014, 11:30

My location
Christmas and New Year

Wishing all the very Best for the festive Season and a Happy and prosperous New Year to all Houlders crew I sailed with. Alan.
Old 21st December 2014, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
Wishing all the very Best for the festive Season and a Happy and prosperous New Year to all Houlders crew I sailed with. Alan.
And the same to you and Ann.

Leo & Valerie
Old 4th January 2015, 19:19
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1974

Hi Ian i joined the Mable Warwick 04/04/1970 as a sixer in Immingham sailed to Monrovia, Hargsham, Seven Isles, did a dry dock in cardiff. i was on board for about 7 months as sixer but decided to stick with my trade and joined the Queensbury as Lecky.
Old 4th January 2015, 22:50
Active: 1970 - 1974

I sailed with the clithero kid on the Mablewarick in 1970
Old 6th January 2015, 02:05

Hi Alan, happy New Year. I hated the "Cerinthus" but we always eat well, were you the cook on board for Christmas 1871 with Capt O'Keiff, my wife she it was great.
Old 6th January 2015, 16:32

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vincent View Post
Hi Alan, happy New Year. I hated the "Cerinthus" but we always eat well, were you the cook on board for Christmas 1871 with Capt O'Keiff, my wife she it was great.
Hi John, "1871" bit before my time!! I enjoyed my times on the Cerinthus all three ,of them in 1971/72 but not at Christmas the Master was Captain Charlesworth on all three occasions. Happy New Year.
Old 6th January 2015, 20:24
Active: 1964 - 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by lescrowe View Post
I was 3rd Engineer on Bidford Priory May to October 1967.
Bomber Harras was the Chief Engineer the Old Man was Jackson.
I would like to hear from anyone.

Les Crowe
I was 4th on Bidford 1966. Strike in UK kept me there for 5 months. Don't remember the engineers Great Ship !! Jack Freeman
Old 7th January 2015, 02:06

Hi Alan. Sorry about the Freudian slip but I guess that happens more often as we get older. I do believe we crossed paths as we had a big crew change on the "Cerinthus" in Stanlow 10th March 1072, that's when Capt. Charlesworth joined and the hateful Capt. left. My qife and I left in South Shields 9th April 1972. Around three days later I got instructions to join the "Royston Grange" but declines as I was closing with the final instructions on our first house, Capt. Parkin was really pissed at me, but fate must have played a hand in that decision.
Old 7th January 2015, 12:33

Brandon Priory

Was on Brandon Priory Nov. "61 - Sept "62 Catering Dept.
W. Brett was Capt. and was great Skipper. Was told to report
to Bridge one day and could not thing why. When I got there was
was if I drank Rum or Whisky and I said Whisky, the Skipper then
appeared with a bottle of Teachers and Wished me Happy Birthday
and told me not to get Drunk. It was my 18th Birthday and
had forgotten all about it.
Old 7th January 2015, 17:23

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vincent View Post
Hi Alan. Sorry about the Freudian slip but I guess that happens more often as we get older. I do believe we crossed paths as we had a big crew change on the "Cerinthus" in Stanlow 10th March 1072, that's when Capt. Charlesworth joined and the hateful Capt. left. My qife and I left in South Shields 9th April 1972. Around three days later I got instructions to join the "Royston Grange" but declines as I was closing with the final instructions on our first house, Capt. Parkin was really pissed at me, but fate must have played a hand in that decision.
Hi Jon, I joined in Stanlow on the 1st March and went round to the Tyne but had to pay-off suddenly on 26/5 due to my fathers imminent passing. So it looks as if we did sail together albeit for a short trip.
Old 11th January 2015, 21:52

Hi Jon,
Do you remember K.K. Wong who was doing his "steam" time for his Chiefs Ticket at this time? Great bloke, tried for years to contact him but with no joy. Was on the Cerinthus when I joined Stanlow 12/3/71From Singapore and payed off in Philadelphia '71due to an eye inquiry. Think he got his sea time on the "Bidford Priory" Vinny O'Rourke
Old 11th January 2015, 23:04

Sorry Vnney, I joined the "Cerinthus" August 1971, so he was before my time, I kept a daily log on that ship and can find no mention of him, sort of cya with the old man there at that time. Rgds Jon
Old 13th January 2015, 22:46
Active: 1971 - 1986

My location
Swan river

There is a Feature on The Swan River in "Shipping Today & Yesterday"
That was published today
Regards
Stuart
Old 16th January 2015, 13:18

when does it go on sale
Old 20th January 2015, 11:23
Active: 1971 - 1986

My location
Its the current edition on sale now
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:02

i read the article about the swan river a ship that i spent 15 months of my life aboard and found one or two things that did not ring true first was that in 1959 a cat boys wage was 13-12-6pence another thing was i did not know that the ship had a deck pool and as for trying to sleep on the deck in the terrible heat, the ship had air con but all in all it was a good yarn
Old 4th May 2015, 16:21
Active: 1965 - 1980

On behalf of DW Luff

i am writing on behalf of my Father, DW Luff, who was made master, 2 days before I was born, so 4 June 1965. He was master on many of the ships I see listed here. My mother and I did several trip with him, later joined by my sister on a trip in 1972/3.
Bidford and Brandon priory, Cerinthus, was apparently my first sailing, are what I recall..
Would be interested to here if any one remembers him. He passed away November 2008, aged 78