Best Ferry Design - Ships Nostalgia
19:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Best Ferry Design

User Tag List

Old 4th August 2006, 16:59

Best Ferry Design

This is sure to trigger fierce arguments but here goes anyway:
What is the best looking ferry in service today?
This is regardless of where it operates, or how reliable it is - just external visual appearance.
Old 4th August 2006, 17:02

My location
Scillonian III !!!!!!!!
Old 4th August 2006, 17:27

I think the new Maersk Norfolkline trio look quite good as well as Color Fantasy but I really couldn't pick out on single best looking ferry.

Old 4th August 2006, 19:22

Treeve...the Scillonian III may look a lovely vessel....but she is an absolute cow of a ship to sail on. Even on a calm day, when she hits the point where the Atlantic Ocean meets the English Channel...she's a white knuckle ride, due to her flat bottom in getting into St Mary's.

For me it's the Pont l'Abbe...ex Dana Anglia between Plymouth and Francais.

Rushie
Old 4th August 2006, 20:18

My location
Scillonian III

Absolutely, Rushie, a ship for real sailors!!
And, Peter did qualify by saying regardless of reliability
That's what I like about Scillonian III, you can feel the water
under you, you can sense the sea. A lot of ships I have been on,
well, I may as well be on a number 9 bus, for all the excitement
it gave me. That area of sea has always been rather splendid;
seven currents meet at the Wolf Rock, so I have been told.
Old 5th August 2006, 04:27
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
I would suggest the last one I built ;
the Fairweather which runs at Gondola Point in New Brunswick ! I shall take a sail down there tomrrow and Post a pic , She is a cable ferry and it is of significance that she is at Gondola Point which is where the first cable ferry ever operated .
The first one was designed and built by William Pitt and powered by horses . At that crossing today there is also a Ferry called the William Pitt which was also built by the company I used to manage before I retired ,
My daughter in law is a decendant of the Pitts .
Derek
Old 5th August 2006, 07:10

Treeve,

That's correct about the seven currents meeting.

I sailed on her last summer in light winds. When we got to that point the crew were inviting people to "rest" in cabins downstairs.! Meanwhile I was at the bar.!

Rushie
Old 5th August 2006, 21:53

Princess of Scandinavia, DFDS Seaways
Old 21st August 2006, 14:03

bute

Calmacs got a few contenders m.v Bute though after her first winter sailings she proved her usfulnes another would maybe be the calmac flagship M.v Hebrides who has had no teethingproblems at all but i would need to say the m.v Brenda corllett (ex Pioneer) wins hands down as a maid of all work proved to be the most useful and best designed ship in the west of scotland
Old 23rd August 2006, 16:43

She may be a true workhorse, but is she necessarily the best looking ferry in existence?
MV Bute looks a versatile vessel, and Hebrides is a very good looker.
Old 23rd August 2006, 22:25

best design

ah but the pioneer was designed with a shallow hull so she could sail up shallow lochs or approach shallow peirs and was also quite a good vessal in heavy swells that would see Bute confined to Rothesay but i do Agree the hebrides is better looking out of the 3
Old 29th October 2006, 14:43

You're having a laugh? They are all as ugly as sin!

In profile Bute & Heb are just about ok but thats where it ends.

Hebrides is an excellent ship, In my opinion the best Cal-Mac have produced in a long time but that said she was not my favourite ( I worked on them for 24 years ) and anyway that wasn't the question.

I would say Norfolk Line new builds are about the best looking ferries in service at the moment

p.s. Hebrides is not the flagship...there isn't one! If there were it would be Clansman ( Commanded by Senior Master )

Last edited by agentroadrunner; 29th October 2006 at 16:59..
Old 29th October 2006, 23:09

Hi
These are or were my favorites:
Dana Regina
Ionic Ferry (ex Dragon)
The Viking Valiant, Venturer, Viscount & Voyager (pre altered)
Tor Scandinavia
Tor Britannia
Winston Churchill

And for working on:
Europic Ferry
European Trader
Viking Viscount

Regards
Karl
Old 18th December 2006, 09:32

Aurora 2000 imo
Old 18th December 2006, 17:15

http://www.shipsofmann.fsnet.co.uk/images/manxmsan.jpg

20 Years too late, but still.....Manxman
Old 18th December 2006, 17:48

Based on visual and sentimental values, not cold hard efficiency and convenience:
Lake Michigan Carferry's coal fired steamship 'Badger' built in 1952. Runs across the Lake in the summer season between Ludington, Michigan and Manitowac, Wisconsin carrying passengers and automobiles.

http://www.greatlakesdigitalimaging.com/badger01.jpg

(Her inactive sistership, 'Spartan', is in the background)

Bruce C

Last edited by Bruce Carson; 19th December 2006 at 01:39..
Old 18th December 2006, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Carson View Post
Based on visual and sentimental values, not cold hard efficiency and convenience:
Lake Michigan Carferry's coal fired steamship 'Badger' built in 1952. Runs across the Lake in the summer season between Ludington, Michigan and Milwaukee, Wisconsin carrying passengers and automobiles.

http://www.greatlakesdigitalimaging.com/badger01.jpg

(Her inactive sistership, 'Spartan', is in the background)

Bruce C
Based on sentimental value I would have chosen Pride of Hampshire (post-rebuild Viking Venturer)

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/pride_of...e_1975_b_3.htm
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/pride_of...e_1975_b_2.htm

But for looks it has to be what is now Moby Otta/Drea (ex Tor Scandinavia/Britannia)

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/princess..._1976_b_11.htm
Old 23rd December 2006, 11:56

The last of the 1960s Swedish Lloyd trio that retains her original looks and is still utterly gorgeous, inside and out, the Ancona (ex-Svea) is surely a contender:

http://hhvferry.com/svea_ancona_05ext1.jpg

Old 25th December 2006, 20:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1989 - 2001

Best looker

The Isle of Wight Denny built twins MV Southsea and Brading are by far the most georgeous ships to grace the Island route and a worthy candidates for the title of best lookers.
Old 26th December 2006, 10:19

Morning All,

The Classic Railway Ship " SS Maid of Kent",(1959) looked more like a Mini Liner, in fact was dubbed the Pocket Liner in many articles about her by shipping writers during her long career.

Another popular little gem was the Railways "SS Lord Warden" (1951) the first purpose built drive on drive off car ferry for the Dover cross channel route.

Both the above ships were very popular with their crews, and in the Summer season the Deep Sea lads wanting to have the Summer home and the Hasting's Navy all used to ask for these two ships by name.

Normandy Ferries 1972 Danish built "nf Tiger".compared too many other ferries out of Dover during the late 1970's she was a breath of fresh air.
This classic old lady is still going strong back up in the waters she origanly was built for.the Baltic, and is still a popular ship.

The "FE5" not the best looking ships but out of the orignal Townsend eight she always looked the best and was another very popular Dover ship.

Townsend/ P&O, 1987 " Pride of Dover" the first Super Ferry on the Channel, built to take on the threat of Channel Tunnel she was nicknamed the Chunnelbeater. Far better looking than the Spirit class vessels, an easy loader and well thought out and still doing the job she was built for with the minumum of fuss. During the night of the Hurricane (October 1987) she was the last ship to get into Dover Harbour and berth alongside undamaged while all the smaller ferries were stuck outside. We steamed into the harbour as the hurricane was beginning to reach its height around two oclock in the morning, our bow tug wire parted at 70 miles an hour and we more or less got blown onto the berth.

I could name a few more oldies but the above are my real favourites, also I am probably biased (I am sure its allowed) because at one time or another in betweeen Deep Water days I was the Bos'un of all the above.

Seasons Greetings to All.

Best Regards

Locking Splice
Old 27th December 2006, 02:41

My location
Locking Splice, how right you are with the Lord Warden and Maid of Kent. To that list I would also add the Avalon.
Old 27th December 2006, 09:04

Hi Cambria,

Thanks for that, was going to put the Avalon on my list, had forgotten she had been converted to a Car Ferry, so did not want to rock the boat and put a Passenger only in. She was a real lady, only saw her once when she called at Dover in the early Seventies after one of her mini deep water cruises.
If their is ever a thread for pure passenger only design, the Avalon, Blenhiem, Cambria, Hibernia, Maid of Orleans, Canterbury, and the Golden Arrow Steamer SS Invicta would all be on my list, Op's must not forget the Ceasera and Sarnia.

Best Regards

Locking Splice
Old 28th December 2006, 17:57

Newhaven-Dieppe's Brighton (VI), built by Denny's in 1949/50 has to be high on my list.

Can't go with rushie's Pont L'Abbe - way too much funnel for me!

Andy
Old 7th January 2007, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locking Splice View Post
Morning All,

The Classic Railway Ship " SS Maid of Kent",(1959) looked more like a Mini Liner, in fact was dubbed the Pocket Liner in many articles about her by shipping writers during her long career.

Another popular little gem was the Railways "SS Lord Warden" (1951) the first purpose built drive on drive off car ferry for the Dover cross channel route.

Both the above ships were very popular with their crews, and in the Summer season the Deep Sea lads wanting to have the Summer home and the Hasting's Navy all used to ask for these two ships by name.

Normandy Ferries 1972 Danish built "nf Tiger".compared too many other ferries out of Dover during the late 1970's she was a breath of fresh air.
This classic old lady is still going strong back up in the waters she origanly was built for.the Baltic, and is still a popular ship.

The "FE5" not the best looking ships but out of the orignal Townsend eight she always looked the best and was another very popular Dover ship.

Townsend/ P&O, 1987 " Pride of Dover" the first Super Ferry on the Channel, built to take on the threat of Channel Tunnel she was nicknamed the Chunnelbeater. Far better looking than the Spirit class vessels, an easy loader and well thought out and still doing the job she was built for with the minumum of fuss. During the night of the Hurricane (October 1987) she was the last ship to get into Dover Harbour and berth alongside undamaged while all the smaller ferries were stuck outside. We steamed into the harbour as the hurricane was beginning to reach its height around two oclock in the morning, our bow tug wire parted at 70 miles an hour and we more or less got blown onto the berth.

I could name a few more oldies but the above are my real favourites, also I am probably biased (I am sure its allowed) because at one time or another in betweeen Deep Water days I was the Bos'un of all the above.

Seasons Greetings to All.

Best Regards

Locking Splice
Nice choice's locking splice,My dad was an AB on the Normannia, he said that was his favourite, me personally it was the FE1, She was my first ship before clearing off deep sea.Then when ever i came home i always tried to do the summer on her,8 lorries or coaches,and rest cars what a doddle.Also my last ship was the European Trader all freight no punters even better.I see you mentioned the hurricane I was on the lifeboat at the time we went out at 5 o'clock the wind the was recorded at 116mph before the machine broke.I think of all the present ships the Dover and Calais are the best in any sea.My mate is Bosun on the calais he thinks the same.He thinks the Maid OF Kent is the best ferry.All a matter of personal choice.
cheers Chris Ryan.
Old 7th January 2007, 18:24

Hello Chris,

If I say "Orchedia" you will know you are talking to an old mate. Forgot about the FE1, yes indeed a fine little vessel and ahead of her time when built. Also was going to put the European Trader in as she was also a nice design, was on their with Ronnie for a couple of weeks when she was first built.
Glad you think the Pride of Dover still looks good, remember going out as Bosun to Bremerhaven in 1987 to stand by the last 3 weeks of her Building, she was a good ship. Did the makers trials on her steaming up the North Sea too the coast of Norway then back down again under the German Flag.
Never forget it because the Food and Drink laid on by the shipyard was incredible. Spent a happy 8 months on her. however as you know 1988 would would change everything.
Your mate who's Bosun on the Calais, is right about the Maid of Kent she was a classic looker, if his surname starts with S, I think he was Deck Boy on her. I did Bosun of B Crew in the summer of 73, and was on her with my brother Andy when she ran stern first into the end of 13 Berth in Boulogne. She made a right mess of her stern, so much that the stern door could not be opened. On the the long after mooring deck their was a large double hatch, the lids had to be lifted and then all the cars craned off through the hatch, I will have to post a photo that I still have in the picture section. The next day we were towed by a large French Tug up to Dunkerque for inspection. We left her their and she never returned to the Port, shortly after I also left the Railway Boats at Dover.
Hope you are keeping well Chris. , lots of great guys and laughs back then.
Best Regards
Locking Splice (Yuge)