Ships Nostalgia banner

Obuasi

27K views 58 replies 29 participants last post by  Sapelelove 
#1 ·
Elder Dempster's OBUASI was built by Harland & Wolff in 1952. She was a handsome ship that showed off in her lines the stylish touch of Elder's naval architect, John Waddington. She was a practical ship capable of lifting 7,089 tons on a loaded draft of 23 feet. There were 6 deep tanks for vegetable oil, reefer space and even a magazine for explosives. Comfortable accommodation was provided for 12 passengers on the centrecastle deck, with a lounge and bar forward and (this was a notable feature of all Elder Dempster's ships) a large verandah area at the after deck.
In the Kylsant era (1909-1931) Elder Dempster had pioneered deep-sea going diesel engines for OBUASI, engineering director Alan Bennett had decided that a 5 cylinder B & W single acting two stroke should be installed. It produced 3,750bhp and gave a service speed of 13 knots.
OBUASI was not committed to a designated route in the pooled services of Elder Dempster-Palm Line-Guinea Gulf's fleets: She was programmed into sailings as cargoes needed to be moved. This meant that the cadets found themselves on OBUASI heading for the USA from West Africa and back to the 'Coast'.
OBUASI's older sister was ONITSHA which, with a 150 ton heavy lift derrick - primarily for lifting railway locomotives- was unique.

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
I sailed on the Obuasi in 66 as an O/S. John Higins was bosun and Bert was the Lampy. I have a photo of some of the crew which includes Bert. Trying to get hold of another one of the whole deck crew at the moment. We were on the West Coast at Christmas 66, and there was an American naval ship tied up ahead of us. Being dry ships a lot of their guys ended up drinking on board with us. The session ended up in a fight between us and the Yanks. No winners because they scarpered. Enduring memory is of Bert trying to beat one of the Yanks up by hitting him with the Christmas tree. So much for the spirit of Christmas.

#36 · (Edited)
OOs [ O ld O buasians ] might be interested to know that two, OOs - from 1960 - namely Roger Mackrell and 'self', presented the newly commissioned South African cadet ship, S A Agulhas, with a print of my 'O' painting. She was moored alongside HMS Belfast, in the Pool of London, prior to shipping out Sir Ranulph Fiennes and his 'vehicles and stores' to the Antarctic. You may well have seen her on National Television?(Thumb)

#38 ·
My 'Obuasi' time was Jan '60 to Jan'61, a States 'double header' and a 'single' States trip, as third mate, in '63, when we sailed into NY with the ensign at half mast after JFK's assassination.

I have an original, oil painting of her by the world respected, marine artist, Robert Lloyd, who was my guest at our annual luncheon a 'few years' back. I limited the numbered prints of same to just 50 and there are just a few left. Let me know if they are of interest to you.

Those of you reading this, who know me, are aware that we have a long standing Es of Es 'global' circuit but any {Es of Es} 'new blood' is more than welcome to join. Again, just let me know.

#42 · (Edited)
According to me it says you have made 320.

Incidentally, with reference to the Ondo, I sailed on her from November '60 to February '61 - a couple of trips before she was wrecked. A fine ship, one of my favourites and I din't really know why, must have been the crew I suppose.
There used to be a German site that showed her over the years, gradually getting more and more destroyed by the weather and the sea. Such a shame.

#45 · (Edited)
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?p=373369#post373369

Hi Roger. Click on the link - which is to THIS page - and look at #28. #Posts 1.................Yes?

Just for the 'record', AFTER you've 'replied', with a post confirming you've read this, you'll only need 7 more posts and you will then become a SENIOR MEMBER! Advance congratulations on your 'promotion'! Can't remember but don't think you've left your 'appraisal' on the latest 'O' painting? If you haven't, could you, please?

#49 ·
"I vill say this OWN lee Vunce! Shamburgers, ships, split peas, personal 'ETs' and doubling as a gent go byebyes when 'her indoors' says the BIG O is upon her". You will note - JW and DB - that I have brought this thread back on to the 'subject at hand' by dropping the rganism and the buasi and staying with 'her' name that is known and used by ALL OOs.

#50 ·
....The Pipesmith

GTP, going off thread.
My father was a dedicated "pipeman" and many of his rituals will be lost forever, good some might say, but I was always fascinated by the way in which he carried out his habit.
He was faithful to his pipe, always a "Barling", his tobacco, "Players medium" and his matches, "Bryant and May", oh and mother as well.
He set fire to himself on occasion, putting lit pipe in pocket, embers from pipe on clothing and furniture. Whenever he left the house he would always tap his pockets to make sure he had his "equipment" with him, very similar to spectacles, testicles..etc.
Do you have rituals, sub-conscious or not, related to your pipe?
(Smoke)

#53 ·
GTP, going off thread.
My father was a dedicated "pipeman" and many of his rituals will be lost forever, good some might say, but I was always fascinated by the way in which he carried out his habit.
He was faithful to his pipe, always a "Barling", his tobacco, "Players medium" and his matches, "Bryant and May", oh and mother as well.
He set fire to himself on occasion, putting lit pipe in pocket, embers from pipe on clothing and furniture. Whenever he left the house he would always tap his pockets to make sure he had his "equipment" with him, very similar to spectacles, testicles..etc.
Do you have rituals, sub-conscious or not, related to your pipe?
(Smoke)
Hi Jon. Have just 'come clean' - in answer to another comment on this thread - that I should have changed my name to GXP as of 20th March last year. However, fifty four years of 'puffing experience' doesn't suddenly 'vanish' overnight! Tobacco I've named but matches, no 'pipe lighters', ever, just 'Swan Matches' which, in the 'good old days', were something like 3d for 80+ 'non safety' and had 'striking surfaces on both sides! Talking of 'striking', I always struck towards me, rather than away, so that any stray spark hit me rather than going down a vent if on deck.(Cloud)

#51 ·
Jon T.

Even more off thread, but I will mention I tried a pipe off and on for years, but could never get the hang/taste for it.

Joined ED`s age 18 had the Gold Flake habit - were they really 11d for 20?, but once I heard the word Anton Justman`s Light Shag, I must have thought it sounded sexier so settled for rolling my own -1/10 per tin(?) 2oz(?) - very slim ciggies went out if left idling in an ashtray - developed "hollow cheeks"

#56 ·
Hello Terry. Did 4 trips on the Calumet 1953 to Sept 54 as A/Purser.She was a ship remembered by most with affection,although engineers may have found her a bit of a B as I believe the boilers were getting shot. I well remember George Fairbairn, the 2nd Engr getting wrapped in wet sacks to plug a leak in a boiler whilst it was still red hot. Sorry I don't recall you but we have both lasted which is the main thing. Regards Bob Appleton

#59 ·
DO***ENTARY ON SAPELE

Hello. Great to read all the memorable back stories in Sapele on this platform. I am new here. kindly pardon any infringements.

I was born in Sapele. I got back there and now planning a video do***entary on Sapele. There's no way to talk about Sapele and not talk about AT&P, Palm Line, shipping in general and UAC.

I was doing a research on Google/YouTube on old surviving AT&P staff and Europeans who stayed/work in Sapele and my research led me here via Google.

It's a passion project for me. Members of this great forum who worked and lived in Sapele and want to volunteer a video interview on their "impression, challenges and opportunities Sapele presented to them" are welcomed. Thanks so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.