Ships Nostalgia banner

Apapa

35K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  marilynharrison2 
#1 ·
Built in 1947 for the Liverpool West Africa run, she was sister ship to the Accra, 11,600 tons, sold to Hong Kong in 1968 and renamed Taipooshan. The Accra was scrapped in 1967. I heard once that they had the tallest masts of any ship that sailed from the Mersey???

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Are we talking about the tallest masts sailing out of the Mersey in the 1960s, or tallest ever? The traditional Elder Dempster liners certainly carried tall masts for their size, but they were small ships and I think some of the Transatlantic liners must have had taller masts because they were so much bigger ships.
I agree with Tell that the Empress of Scotland is a contender for this title. I would also suggest that the Cunard four stackers and quite a few White Star ships should be considered - Britannic, Georgic (before she was bombed) Laurentic and the magnificent Australian service liner, Ceramic of 1913.
We should also consider the Pride of the Mersey herself - the Mauretania of 1939. She spent part of her life on the Liverpool - New York run.
Thanks guys. A wonderful topic to stir the memories.
Fred Henderson

#7 ·
Good morning Scaleyback,
It was a full 'China Boat' crowd who took the Accra to the Breakers in 67 and I believe the first instance where Kevin Eder assigned a BF crowd to an ED ship. Shock horror on the mezzanine floor. The West African crew (Catering and Engine) were put ashore in Gibraltar as the Spanish would not allow them to land in Spain. A day later the ship was run aground in Cartagena. All hands flew home from Alicante.
Brgds
Hague

#9 ·
Accra

Sir,
Read my post again.....slowly.... and don't be so eager to advise all who your father was. Anyone of any 'real time at sea' would recognise that the 'crowd' referred to the Bosun and Sailors and, if wanting in experience, and read in the context of the mezzanine floor of India Buildings and the mention of Kevin Eader would have or should have known if unfamiliar with the terminology. Strange that nobody was.
Good morning.
Hague

#17 ·
I took 2 trips on the TAIPOOSHAN "Great Precious Mountain" from HK to Singapore and return in 1972 /73. Much evidence of its life as an Elder Dempster line ship such as bedding, blankets crockery and plaques on board. It had a sister ship called the TAIPOOSHEK that did a run to Bangkok . This ship mainly went to Singapore and Penang I believe alternate trips went on to Penang. 4 day voyage mainly Chinese passengers most of whom were elderly women. mainly Chinese fare at meals except breakfast western style.

#18 ·
Sailed on all three "A"s when a toddler, when my folks shuttled back and forward in the 50's on leave. The old man was Harbour master at Calabar, Port Harcourt and Div. Marine Officer with the Nigerian Marine, also Master of the Dayspring, the old coal burning buoy vessel, where I learnt to walk! Theres a first!

#19 ·
I was lucky enough to have sailed on ED's 'Apapa' - as part of my ED Catering Cadet training. I can believe the 'tallest masts on the Mersey' for their era. I was also on her last voyage September/October 1968 before she was sold to Shun Cheong S.N.Co of Hong Kong. I regret not taking advantage of 'retrieving' some of her silver cutlery and table settings after the final usual end of voyage 'silver count' as the ship was sold 'lock, stock & barrel'.
I was pleased to know that she survived another six years on the Hong Kong - Penang service and saw her when on Far East voyages. Attached, as 'Taipooshan', still registered in Liverpool and Flying 'the red duster' - but, if I remember, with the Hong Kong crest on it. This was in Penang 1971 from 'Ulysses'. Also saw her in Singapore in 1973 when on 'Tokyo Bay'.

I saw the 'Accra' arrive into Liverpool for her last voyage October 1967 during Liverpool & London dock strikes. I was intrigued by the story of the BF deck crowd having a meltdown being assigned to an ED ship. This was when ED's & BF were integrated into Ocean Fleets at the back end of 1967. Interested to know that the remaining Nigerian crew were paid off in Gibraltar before being 'beached' in Cartegena. Had the pleasure to sail with Capt.Laurie James on my first 'Apapa' trip.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.