Ships Nostalgia banner

Signing parchment. Dates and income for 'time'.

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  howardang 
#1 ·
Just 'un-earthed/down-lofted' my indentures, signed 9/9/'57. Rubber stamped for 'completion of same' 24/7/'61.

Found I earned total of £669 - 15 - 00 for my four years 'time' less one and a half months remission for 'good conduct' ~ or was it 'King Ted's' gratuity?

How about your 'dates and monies'?

#2 ·
Mine dated 1st August 1960 (South American Saint Line ) were:
1st 3 months £28 15/- (after 9 months remission from Warsash)
Next year £169 only
Next Year £175 only
Last Year £200 only

Total for 3 years 3 months = £563 15/-

My father also had to pay a £50 premium which was refunded in instalments over the period, subject to good conduct reports from each master.

Happy days.

Howard

#3 · (Edited)
mine dated 1st august 1960 (south american saint line ) were:
1st 3 months £28 15/- (after 9 months remission from warsash)
next year £169 only
next year £175 only
last year £200 only

total for 3 years 3 months = £563 15/-

my father also had to pay a £50 premium which was refunded in instalments over the period, subject to good conduct reports from each master.

Happy days.

Howard.

As you say Howard "Happy days ~ not to mention the nights".

Have a great 'Yorkshire weekend'. My elder daughter is a North Yorkshire, Thorganby, resident of 'long standing'.

Kindest to you and yours.

GGG

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#4 ·
Thought you might like a different viewpoint. I joined ED's as a Purser Cadet in 1961. Salary was £20 per month, but they only paid £12/10/0. The other £7/10/0 was held back against 'good behaviour', and paid later, but I don't recall when it was actually paid, if it ever was. The £20pm lasted until promotion to Writer, after six months in my case, but I think it only went to £22 then.

#5 ·
Hi clibb ~ sorry can't be more informal but your limited CV and cryptic codename leaves me no option.

Did we ever sail together as our ED 'times' overlap? Am still in touch with two Pursers ~ John Edge and Mike Salt ~ it was three but the third, Mike Raba, bar crossed.

Your 'info' most interesting. Wonder why they considered this necessary? Too many 'naughty little boys' presumably?

Kindest to you and yours.

GGG

#10 ·
Graham, my ED indentures are a year younger than yours, and say that for my 4 years I would receive 684 pounds.
We did get a couple of small pay increases though. I seem to remember that in my first year my pay went from 8 pounds per month to 9. However, by the time I'd paid for the correspondence course and other necessities it didn't make much difference. I was flat broke, or in debt, for the first 3 years.

#11 ·
Hi Roger.

Yes, I think what we have to remember is that in those days a £ went a long way but like you I was always brassic mint.

You might find the 'link' of interest and while I think of it are you still in touch with 'Arch'?

1957 pounds in 2017 | UK Inflation Calculator

www.in2013dollars.com/1957-GBP-in-2017

This inflation calculator uses the official UK consumer price index. An inflation rate of 5.36% per year means £100 in 1957 is worth £2291.90 in 2017

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.