Ships Nostalgia banner

60 years plus 21 days 'on'. [See text for details].

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Engine Serang 
#1 ·
On January 1st 1960 two of the twenty (?) teenager deck cadets, the 'crew', joining the Obuasi were a 'Burnley' lad and yours truly. The former was 'coming on 19' the latter 'coming on 20'.

Today, the 'Thread Title' refers, I had a long chat with 'Burnley Lad' Roger Mackrell on his 79th (mine's in 13 days time, still 'one ahead'), God how time flies when you're young, or still think you are.

Let's have some 'blasts from the 'O' past' and good wishes for Roger and those hiding with bachelor boy in the shadows.

#3 ·
Today, the 'Thread Title' refers, I had a long chat with 'Burnley Lad' Roger Mackrell on his 79th (mine's in 13 days time, still 'one ahead'), God how time flies when you're young, or still think you are.

QUOTE]

GTP

I sailed with Roger in LOCH LOMOND June to Dec 1975. He was Mate and I was 2nd Mate.

The next time was about 1979 in Kuwait. He was Master in one of the Kuwait Shg Co's… I was mate in LOCH MAREE. Great 'session'!

Last time was about 1990 when I was in Plymouth.

Please pass my very best regards!

Stephen

#4 ·

QUOTE]

GTP

I sailed with Roger in LOCH LOMOND June to Dec 1975. He was Mate and I was 2nd Mate.

The next time was about 1979 in Kuwait. He was Master in one of the Kuwait Shg Co's… I was mate in LOCH MAREE. Great 'session'!

Last time was about 1990 when I was in Plymouth.

Please pass my very best regards!

Stephen
Hi SJC.

Yes, I'd completely forgotten you telling me this back when I first posted the 'O' pirates picture here on SN.

I'll e mail you his details so you can make personal contact, if you wish. I also want to run something past you which you may well find of interest when I tell you it's a 'pennies in the bank', yours, proposition.

Have a great, 'Balmy Bermuda' weekend whilst here we'll 'enjoy' 'Hurricane Hamilton/Harry Meghan' far from gentle breezes.

GGG

#5 ·
Many thanks GGG AKA GTP!

Great.

Was this your first ship? Age 19 turning on 20 to join the cadetship Obuasi?

I was much older when I got to the Denholm ship, Wellpark. I was 27. Mind, I wasn't a Deck Cadet. I was Mate and survived four months!

Balmy weather here in mid-Atlantic? Nope. Temp down to 14C and yesterday was a bit of gale... 45 knots. Just checking the weather, the lowest temp ever recorded for this date in Bermuda was 10.7 in 1942!

Stephen

#6 ·
Hi Stephen aka SJC ~ like the latter, trips/slips of the tongue as the bishop said to the actress but I digress.

Firstly they talk about NY being the 'city that never sleeps', would appear that SJC 's the artist that never does! Secondly had to smile @ your "Was the O my first ship"? She was my ninth actually but my tenth deep sea voyage as had done two trips on the wonderful old, pre war 'Calabar' in '58. Had signed the parchment 9.9.'57 and sailed into ta ta 'Pamir' hurricane Carrie on my first voyage. By 1.1.'60 had every qualification (?) going apart from second mates ticket which couldn't take 'til '61 when finished indenture time, Roger would have been the same.

Vaguely remember Bermudian '42 weather but was only 2 at the time. First sighting of your sunshine island was '58.

Will try to get around to that 'e' later today. GGG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.