Cargoes - Ships Nostalgia
08:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cargoes

User Tag List

Old 12th May 2018, 14:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Cargoes

Almost every trip we loaded tinned pineapple - cubes, slices, crushed, juice, etc. in Bugo or Cagayan all in cartons. Also remember tinned mandarins from Taiwan. Then the big bales of rubber from Singapore. Does anyone know how these products are shipped thses days? Is it all in the ubiquitous 'boxes' now?
Old 12th May 2018, 16:19
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

That's about it....have unloaded many a box of Eastern fruits and a few bles rubber too...

geoff
Old 12th May 2018, 18:28

My location
What about logs from West Africa? Also bags of palm kernels and cocoa beans. Is that all containerised now?

There's nothing wrong with going nowhere slowly, but I want to go nowhere fast.
Old 12th May 2018, 21:03

Logs are still logs and I used to move them on West African services, coffee and cocoa beans are handled in containers worldwide,however, the trend for cocoa is now to have loose beans as a bulk cargo which are shipped into,often,portside processing units.

geoff
Old 12th May 2018, 22:50
ELDER MEMBER

Cannot remember the island, but on the way from panama on a Bank boat we would pop in for a few hours to load tomatoes on deck for kiwi,

jim
Old 12th May 2018, 22:57

Logistics.

A wonderful word.
Old 13th May 2018, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post
Logistics.

A wonderful word.
Indeed,I was twice a Logistics Coordinator ......

Geoff
Old 13th May 2018, 11:39

Intrigued by Jimthehat's line about loading tomatoes at an island while en route to Kiwi. Anybody have any ideas as to which Pacific island grew tomatoes in any quantity worth shipping as cargo? Mind you it's definitely the kind of thing Bank Line would undertake in case there was any future continuity of trade in the offing.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:27
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1977

We still unload clementines and oranges from Morocco here in New Bedford, during the season. These are conventional reefer vessels carrying 3000 plus pallets with part under cold treatment for the States, the rest straight under seal to Canada.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:46

Tomato growing in Pacific a big problem, Samoa appears to be main island,however, all islands have some production I am told...but the big problem is that all of them have a high side and a low side.....so one side too wet and one side too dry.

geoff
Old 18th May 2018, 00:46

1981. m.v. POLAR URUGUAY. Tampa to Aquaba with full load frozen chickens and chilled eggs. Then on to two ports at Cuba to load grapefruit for discharge Rostock. Down to Vlissingen to load potatoes and dry cod for discharge Luanda. Head to Fremantle to load full cargo frozen lamb for discharge Bandhar Shapur. Crew change at Colombo then down to Adelaide and Fremantle load lamb. Eight months and completely enjoyable.

Stephen
Old 18th May 2018, 00:54

Quote:
Almost every trip we loaded tinned pineapple - cubes, slices, crushed, juice, etc. in Bugo or Cagayan all in cartons.
Also from the single pier in Ilo Ilo, Philippines.Basically DelMonte but also Tesco & even Woolworths all from the same plant
Old 19th May 2018, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrypriddis View Post
What about logs from West Africa? Also bags of palm kernels and cocoa beans. Is that all containerised now?
Did you ever have to into the Palm Oil tank to clean them?
Old 19th May 2018, 15:55
Active: 1961 - 1968

Yes, on the Bamenda Palm. We were to use a butterworth machine but it was found to be useless with the congealed palm oil so we had to go down with the kroo boys and scrape it off. It was a perk for the kroo boys as they got to keep it.
Old 19th May 2018, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggBram View Post
Also from the single pier in Ilo Ilo, Philippines.Basically DelMonte but also Tesco & even Woolworths all from the same plant
I remember calling at Ilo Ilo. Our over exuberant going alongside nearly reduce their single pier to a big round zero.

I have sometimes wondered if I dreamt the name.

Whatever we brought back, holds seemed to be filled with Evap milk and Conny Onny.
Old 21st May 2018, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I remember calling at Ilo Ilo. Our over exuberant going alongside nearly reduce their single pier to a big round zero.

I have sometimes wondered if I dreamt the name.

Whatever we brought back, holds seemed to be filled with Evap milk and Conny Onny.
No dream, I was there in 1951 we were across the bay and tied up to a small cargo ship that was made of concrete, it had been sunk and was sat on the bottom that was were the tankers went miles from the town, we loaded a half cargo of molasses then sailed to Surabaya Jarva to top up then home. The ship was the Athel Dutchess
Old 21st May 2018, 23:22
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
Remember being there in the early 1960s, found our wayto the . local bar called "toneys place" remember that the toilet had a sign gentlemens comfort room but was rather spoiled when yo got inside by having a sign above the urinal saying "piss here".
The . DJ from the local radio station fell in love with the radio officer (wh0 was not gay) and played music for him regularly throughout the day.
Old 22nd May 2018, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthbridge View Post
Remember being there in the early 1960s, found our wayto the . local bar called "toneys place" remember that the toilet had a sign gentlemens comfort room but was rather spoiled when yo got inside by having a sign above the urinal saying "piss here".
The . DJ from the local radio station fell in love with the radio officer (wh0 was not gay) and played music for him regularly throughout the day.
The only thing that I remember is going to the cinema and when the lights went out everyone put there legs up to keep there feet off the floor as rats came forageing for the food that was dropped on the floor. Those were the days.
Old 22nd May 2018, 19:53

My recollection was that there was a bar at the end of the jetty named the 'Perfumed Garden'. I say bar, it was a bamboo hut with a single CocaCola fridge full of San Migs. There was also several scantily dressed young ladies for some unknown reason.That was Oct 1968 time
Old 26th May 2018, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrock_2001 View Post
Did you ever have to into the Palm Oil tank to clean them?
We definitely cleaned our own tanks after palm oil with Bank Line, some tanks had fitted Butterworth lines others used a flexible pipe system. The results were mixed in that some tanks were spotless (nearly) and others not. Company eventually switched to Gamajet machines as they were cheaper than Butterworth.

By far the best way, if you had time, was to run in water, add bags of Gamlen or Perolin cleaning powder, boil for a couple of days, allow to cool, enter tank (after atmosphere test) with HP hose and do it manually - always good results. However this method was not suitable for every tank and also not to be undertaken lightly, particularly if rolling heavily!

Steaming through all the lines after cleaning was the best bit.

Back in the 1960s when with Ben Line the tanks were always cleaned in Singapore by "Wong's Virgins", a lovely name for a gang of about 30 older women who would descend into the tanks after building a bamboo scaffolding arrangement and remove every scrap of residue until the tank shone! If loading latex they would wax the sides of the tanks too. All change these days I guess.
Old 27th May 2018, 04:13
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1963 - 2010

All these comments sure bring back memories of exotic ports and cargoes. I recall walking through the container yards on my way down to undock a ship and catching odors from the boxes that would immediately take me back in time. We were all so lucky to have experienced the times we did!
Old 27th May 2018, 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace Slough View Post
All these comments sure bring back memories of exotic ports and cargoes. I recall walking through the container yards on my way down to undock a ship and catching odors from the boxes that would immediately take me back in time. We were all so lucky to have experienced the times we did!
Sounds much the same as the odours detected when walking around the Shadwell area of London before London docks closed; all the warehouse full of products from around the world - spices, rubber, sawn timber, fruit etc. Same area today has no trace of those smells, just diesel fumes from passing buses! I agree Wallace, we were lucky to experience the times we did.