Is this ben line site now defunked.? - Ships Nostalgia
00:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Is this ben line site now defunked.?

User Tag List

Old 12th March 2018, 10:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2007

Is this ben line site now defunked.?

I have been on the SN site often since January this year and to my amazement there has been no comments or new threads.
I was wondering if it had been cyber attacked and no BL folk could enter it, I bit far fetched but maybe possible.

Surely some of you out there have some news besides passing of pals its not my concern but I only wanted folk to enjoy like myself a wee yarn or gossip . I have been speaking to a few BL men on the Merchant Navy FB site and some new photos on there ,tried to persued them to use this site also. I was speaking to Clive Suthern originally from South Shields and we were wondering what is the latest news of George Bland CH/Engr , his son last on this site spoke of George being in a bad way with Dementia, i hope all is well . Take care and keep her steady. Ian

Last edited by ian keyl; 12th March 2018 at 18:44..
Old 13th March 2018, 00:01

Hi Ian would this be the same George Bland who was 2nd. on the Benvalla during 1965 / 67.
Joe.
Old 14th March 2018, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian keyl View Post
I have been on the SN site often since January this year and to my amazement there has been no comments or new threads.
I was wondering if it had been cyber attacked and no BL folk could enter it, I bit far fetched but maybe possible.

Surely some of you out there have some news besides passing of pals its not my concern but I only wanted folk to enjoy like myself a wee yarn or gossip . I have been speaking to a few BL men on the Merchant Navy FB site and some new photos on there ,tried to persued them to use this site also. I was speaking to Clive Suthern originally from South Shields and we were wondering what is the latest news of George Bland CH/Engr , his son last on this site spoke of George being in a bad way with Dementia, i hope all is well . Take care and keep her steady. Ian
I will be seeing Duncan Sutherland ex Captain on Tuesday and will see if he knows anything about George Bland as Duncan still goes to the Edinburgh dinner. We work for Seagull Trust Charity. Rgds to Clive Southern. I remember when he shipped all the stuff from Taiwan/HK for his house
Old 14th March 2018, 14:45

To answer the two questions Joe and John,
Joe yes it was the same person i was speaking on FB about our trip on Valla with the wonky 2 sparks when he pinched that Yogi Bar punch bag figure from the Petrol station on way back to ship in Yoko. I think it lasted for about a year in the smoke room. Clive is retired and lives in Stockport, not sure where he has been since he left BL, was he on Valla Joe for his motor time ,I cannot remember.

to answer your question John i spoke with John Atkinson who has taken over Archives etc from Archie and George has not been to Ben Line Luncheon for many years. George's son is on SN and was also at sea ,he did post something about George on here a while ago referring to his dad having Dementia , maybe you could pick him up John and ask question. well I am glad there is a wee bit of action here as I was thinking we were going to get a huge long list of those who had passed away , John , Please give DD my best regards we had some good times on the coast him and I .
Glad that is not the case. Hope you are both well Just back from Kenya again from a Safari . Rgds Ian

Last edited by ian keyl; 14th March 2018 at 14:47.. Reason: addition of info.
Old 14th March 2018, 23:20

Sad to hear about George he was a great guy to work with and a good engineer. You could be correct about being on the Valla for his motor time. When I joined the Valla I was on the 8 to 12 watch with him along with another junior engineer. His big concern was running out of air pressure during maneuvering as he said on turbine jobs air pressure was not the problem. We had many a good run ashore together. I had posted a couple pictures on S/N of us together, two skinny guys sunbathing and one of us on our last trip along with the
Chief engineer and Sr. Electrician.
Great memories.
Joe.
Old 15th March 2018, 01:30

Well when I left Joe the Valla tp go to the Wyvis the C/enr was George MacDonald from Aberdeen and 1st leckie was Keith Pearson from Middlesbro or Billingham. I left in Aug 66. Where are the pics Joe.Rgds Ian.
Old 19th March 2018, 03:18

Quote:
Well when I left Joe the Valla tp go to the Wyvis the C/enr was George MacDonald from Aberdeen and 1st leckie was Keith Pearson from Middlesbro or Billingham. I left in Aug 66. Where are the pics Joe.Rgds Ian.
Hi Ian you could look in my gallery for pictures with George Bland.
Joe.
Old 12th October 2018, 22:43

Yes hope this site doesn't dissapear , and some photos during the Benline days would be very much appreciated by the daughter of a former "Benliner"
Old 28th March 2019, 16:38

My location
Hi Ian,

Tried to send you a private mail but says you mail box is full. Need some help on a few matters. Can you give an alternative mail address ??

Cheers / BSK
Old 17th April 2019, 10:04

HI BSK,
I have not worked out who you are but will do my best to help you if I can. I think my mail box is empty now try it. I am on Face book on British Merchant Navy site.
I am not a person who tells you where I am for breakfast etc . only on a few closed groups.give me a bell.
Old 10th May 2019, 01:39
Active: 1965 - Present

Quote:
To answer the two questions Joe and John,
Joe yes it was the same person i was speaking on FB about our trip on Valla with the wonky 2 sparks when he pinched that Yogi Bar punch bag figure from the Petrol station on way back to ship in Yoko. I think it lasted for about a year in the smoke room. Clive is retired and lives in Stockport, not sure where he has been since he left BL, was he on Valla Joe for his motor time ,I cannot remember.

to answer your question John i spoke with John Atkinson who has taken over Archives etc from Archie and George has not been to Ben Line Luncheon for many years. George's son is on SN and was also at sea ,he did post something about George on here a while ago referring to his dad having Dementia , maybe you could pick him up John and ask question. well I am glad there is a wee bit of action here as I was thinking we were going to get a huge long list of those who had passed away , John , Please give DD my best regards we had some good times on the coast him and I .
Glad that is not the case. Hope you are both well Just back from Kenya again from a Safari . Rgds Ian
Hello Ian,
Bob Goodwin here. I retired from Swire Pacific Offshore in Sep. 2015, after 10 years in China Nav. and the rest offshore.
I'm living in the beautiful Bay of islands in NZ.
I'm assuming you are the Ian Keyl I knew as a cadet in the 60's.
Did I hear that you had gone into the Ben Line office ?. at some stage.

Regards
Bob.
Old 10th May 2019, 08:01
Spongebob
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

It is a long shot but would anyone ex Ben line remember an engineer Jim Donn.
He was a Kiwi ex the Dunedin Railway work shops , went to sea with the NZ Sbipping co before joining Ben line in the 1950's to gain steam time for his Chiefs ticket.

Bob