3 Ben boats in Hong Kong - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
19:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

3 Ben boats in Hong Kong

User Tag List

Old 11th January 2008, 14:10

There is another photo that was of three bens together in hong kong the armin valla and loyal and it was a head on shot,it made the newspaper, I have never seen it again
Old 13th January 2008, 14:09

My location
Now that would have been a good shin-dig, j basing
Old 13th January 2008, 16:12

Hiong Kong Shin-Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wully farquhar View Post
Now that would have been a good shin-dig, j basing
Another shin-dig was when the Stac.Arty and Cleuch were all the Ocean Terminal together.The party started on the Cleuch at morning"smoko".The Bosun of the Arty( Ronnie Buchan) finished up walking along the terminal in broad daylight in his Y fronts.(advertisment for Hings).On telling this story on my last oil related boat. The skipper piped up that he was 3rd,mate then on the Arty and the Bosun also replied he had been AB then on the Arty.I was on the Cleuch.
Old 20th January 2008, 04:55

My location
Eltel, read you piece re crew on the Benledi, and wondered if the 1/O mentioned would be Ian Hamilton who sailed as Cadet on the older Bencruachan with me way back in 1949 ,the Captain then was "Typhoon" Jones, C/O Oswald Atkinson, other Cadets were Craig Alexander, Ian came from somewhere over the Forth Bridge in the Kingdom of Fife
Regards Ern Barrett
Old 20th January 2008, 17:27

Ern, Sounds about right. If you look at the photos on my post at bottom of previous page, 3rd photo from bottom, top left photo on page, "Hammy" is on far right facing camera. He used to drive me daft using the chartroom dividers to scrape out his pipe! Terry.
Old 19th March 2010, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardie View Post
On the topic of ben boats together, here is a photo of the Bencruachan and Benledi taken in Labuan, September 1977
Hi,
You must be a relation of Captain Ken Hardie who I had the great honounr to sail with on the Bennevis and Bencruachan, he was a great captain .
Billy

Last edited by EBenarty; 19th March 2010 at 23:05..
Old 24th March 2010, 22:09

I'm actually no relation at all.When I joined the Cruachan as a cadet in 1977,it was the first question asked by many though.
Old 10th May 2019, 12:20

Defintely the Vrackie. I was a ypung 6E on Vrackie at the time, can recall the 2nd Engineer Wilf Pearson and on of the Deck Cadets David Bell.

Bill Pearce