Captains Inspections - Page 6 - Ships Nostalgia
22:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Captains Inspections

User Tag List

Old 12th June 2020, 22:07
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
One C/E, who only made brief appearances when STBY was rung, decided during BoT games to have a "fire" in the engine room and simulate smoke by turning the lights off.

Now, the way into the control room was directl fwd from the lift in the accom internal ladder well which accessed all decks. Left, was the pressure lock for the ER. Access to the top plates was by one of two doors at either end of the main control panel. Outside the doors ran a pipe which the engineers knew to duck under as they went out.

Well, C/E in ER, lights turned off and, brandishing his brand new torch, he led the way to "fight fire". Luckily he had a safety helmet on: Yes, straight into the pipe he went! The 2/E just said "get the bluddy lights on!". The drill was then changed to medevac of inhured crewmember from ER.

Although the C/E continued to make his rare appearances, never again did I see him exit the CR to the topplates! Lift/CR/Lift was the rule!

Rgds.
Dave
On long standby somewhere, all manual operation, Harland and Wolff engine, I was junior, when phone went - I answered and chief asked if second wanted a meal relief to which sec said yes please. Reply was call one of the thirds!!
Dannic
Old 13th June 2020, 19:12
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
One C/E, who only made brief appearances when STBY was rung, decided during BoT games to have a "fire" in the engine room and simulate smoke by turning the lights off.

Now, the way into the control room was directl fwd from the lift in the accom internal ladder well which accessed all decks. Left, was the pressure lock for the ER. Access to the top plates was by one of two doors at either end of the main control panel. Outside the doors ran a pipe which the engineers knew to duck under as they went out.

Well, C/E in ER, lights turned off and, brandishing his brand new torch, he led the way to "fight fire". Luckily he had a safety helmet on: Yes, straight into the pipe he went! The 2/E just said "get the bluddy lights on!". The drill was then changed to medevac of inhured crewmember from ER.

Although the C/E continued to make his rare appearances, never again did I see him exit the CR to the topplates! Lift/CR/Lift was the rule!

Rgds.
Dave
WE had a Chief Engineer in Bank Line who, desperate to be in charge of a fire, wrapped rags round a weeping HP fuel joint on the fuel pumps. Eventually his dream was fulfilled!!

The same man requested that the crank case doors be removed at full speed - because he thought he could hear a banging from within.

I learned a lot from him, principally how not to be a Chief Engineer!!

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 13th June 2020, 21:28
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan112 View Post
WE had a Chief Engineer in Bank Line who, desperate to be in charge of a fire, wrapped rags round a weeping HP fuel joint on the fuel pumps. Eventually his dream was fulfilled!!

The same man requested that the crank case doors be removed at full speed - because he thought he could hear a banging from within.

Holy Cow! Duncan! They walk among us and breed!
Rgds.
Dave
Old 13th June 2020, 22:10
Department: Deck
Active: 1930 - 1974

My dad, Captain Bill Pascoe, was a stickler for hygiene. One time he was on the Sunday rounds, inspecting the toilet next to the saloon pantry. "There's no soap or towel in this bathroom. Get some in here immediately!" - and the steward told someone to get them because "This captain wants people to wash their hands after they use the toilet." Which incensed my dad because the steward just didn't get the point. Just thought it was yet another of the Old Man's quirks.
Old 20th June 2020, 13:58
Active: 1973 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan112 View Post

Same Chief who opened the CO2 valve into the engine room on the Meadowbank just as I was about to start fighting the fire in No. 4 Lower Hold?
On being told by wee me to shut the ******* thing his answer was "Lets all calm down and act professionaly"
Think he retired to his cabin for a beer whilst the 3rd engineer bemoaned the fact he actually had to fight a fire ! I do recall you puting him right Duncan.
Old 21st June 2020, 13:39
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot24 View Post
Same Chief who opened the CO2 valve into the engine room on the Meadowbank just as I was about to start fighting the fire in No. 4 Lower Hold?
On being told by wee me to shut the ******* thing his answer was "Lets all calm down and act professionaly"
Think he retired to his cabin for a beer whilst the 3rd engineer bemoaned the fact he actually had to fight a fire ! I do recall you putting him right Duncan.
Not him, I'll PM you with the identity, this man was far more dangerous in that he came downstairs and fiddled!!

As an aside about the CO2 flooding one thing I learned is that the first indication you get down the ER when bulk CO2 is being applied (remember the lorry and hose to the manifold?) and the pressure switgh alarm bypassed is that the paint falls off the pipes as they contract due to the cold?

Two companies further on, I was Chief on one vessel about 12 hours from Long Beach and the fire alarm went off, wandered downstairs to find the reefer switchboard well ablaze and my troops about to use a hose on it. Told them this was not a good idea and got the CO2 hand helds out. The smoke was thick so I asked the Old Man to send a BA party down, 3/O arrives with BA set in hand says "There you are Chief" and buggers off. You couldn't make it up.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 24th June 2020, 09:45

I sailed on the STS Leeuwin with Capt Chris Blake brilliant square rig capt, we carried up to forty young people, Capt's round was always interesting, his party trick was to go into the toilets in the trainee accom. put reach his hand into a previously well-cleaned toilet bowl and pronounce it to be clean enough. Brought a lot of the kids undone !
Old 24th June 2020, 12:12
Active: 1953 - 1987

“In the old days” when there was only a plunger or caustic available, or a trip over the side to clear the flapper valve. The old man would find on his inspection the odd blocked toilet, usually, after a lengthy stay in port, that the shareholders responsible would leave as is, ‘because !!’. The standard reply to that would be – ‘it’s only chewed bread’ – ‘get your hand in and clear it’ – or the alternative when next in port.
Old 26th June 2020, 00:22
Active: 1957 - 1962

Haha, talking about inspections, how many remember the 'The Short Arm' inspections carried out by the Port Doctor in Wellington, normally done on the Boat Deck on return from a trip from overseas. This inspection was being done in the late 50's as I remember.
Ewen