Cal-Mac ferries - Ships Nostalgia
14:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cal-Mac ferries

User Tag List

Old 13th November 2019, 12:01

Cal-Mac ferries

Does anyone know what the latest problem is with the Cal-Mac ferries.All the papers quote is "a technical problem" Can anyone explain what the problems actually are?
Old 13th November 2019, 13:11
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1971 - 2011

If you research service status of individual routes on their site I think Isle of Arran has a technical defect taking her out or to restricted service and Loch Seaforth has been delayed returning to service after scheduled maintenance. IoMSPC have had cancelled sailings due to weather over the last few days, two I think. (As have my builders and the bloody roof).
Old 13th November 2019, 16:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - 1978

As far as I know the technical difficulties on the Arran run are more to do with the linkspan (it's quite new) rather than the Caledonian Isles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-west-49978808

Seems to be working today and I hope it's OK on Saturday as I'm going over for two weeks holiday!
Old 14th November 2019, 08:04

Isle of Arran was doing Oban to Castlebay and Lochboisdale. Not that I'm a seaman, but because of her age and past problems, I wouldn't think she would be ideal for these longer trips!