Ships Nostalgia banner

Pub Lunch.

14K views 57 replies 29 participants last post by  R798780 
#1 ·
I am having a Pub Lunch at my house for a few retired MN friends in Mid April.
I have many happy memories of Pub Lunches, mostly at anchor in the Gulf but due to overindulgence I cannot remember the menus.
Can any of my Catering Colleagues give me a sample menu that is within my and the Memsabih's ability to cook and is typical of mid 1970's fare.

Cheers,

ES.

#2 ·
Smallie eats: crisps, cheese straws, (if going posh; cocktail sausages with cheese, pineapple and cheese etc).

Main: Chile Con-Carne/Chicken curry/Scampi & Chips.

Allow for 1 case of Tennent’s/Tiger per head (they’re retired now) and 1 case of Double Diamond for any who may be predisposed to constipation.

Have a great day ES.

#3 ·
... 'course, ES, ya cud alwise go the 'Strine rubbity way:

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/galleries/aussie-pub-meals-to-try-before-you-die/14

... then there's these from my mate Donny who lives in a big white house at 1600 Penn Ave:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshow/fourth-of-july-snacks-finger-foods

He's offered to help with the recipes if you'd like to give him a buzz:

You can speak to Donny at The Big White House Phone Numbers: Comments: 202-456-1111; Visitors Office: 202-456-2121, or email him: The Big White House Email Address - Dear Donny: president@whitehouse.gov

... be sure to tell him, Taff sent you!!

Taff

#5 ·
Scotch Eggs quartered, Egg Mayonnaise, Salad in Season. Celery Sticks ETC, Tomatoes Quartered, and or stuffed. Tinned veg & potato salad. There always seemed to be a bowl of that. :)

#7 ·
Since when were solids a factor for consideration in pub lunches? It must have differed from when men were men and the advent of what I have heard as being PC took control and the reigns.

Enjoy your well deserved hangover, even if you are hungry !

Keep Well,

Cacique.

#8 ·
Nothing to do with pub lunches but I remember the pig farmer that lived near me who collected all the unsold ,stale Vogels mixed grain wholemeal bread from the bakery every week for his pigs .
The problem was that the bigger greedier pigs used to hog the feeding trough preventing the small and timid getting their fair share..
He solved the problem by heavily coating the first load with flour so the pushy ones quickly developed a very dry mouth and had stop gorging to go for a drink from a water trough several yards away.
This allowed him to replenish the trough with un floured loaves for the meek and the mild.
I imagine this strategy could work for many a pub lunch.

Bob

#10 ·
Nothing to do with pub lunches but I remember the pig farmer that lived near me who collected all the unsold ,stale Vogels mixed grain wholemeal bread from the bakery every week for his pigs .
The problem was that the bigger greedier pigs used to hog the feeding trough preventing the small and timid getting their fair share..
He solved the problem by heavily coating the first load with flour so the pushy ones quickly developed a very dry mouth and had stop gorging to go for a drink from a water trough several yards away.
This allowed him to replenish the trough with un floured loaves for the meek and the mild.
I imagine this strategy could work for many a pu
Bob
A good sprinkling of salt over the edibles should do the trick.

#11 ·
A pub lunch ? ….. wot's all this food stuff ? …… beer, then more beer, then a top off with beer.

OK OK, I'll give you one concession … a nice bowl of boiled tripe in the centre of the table, maybe a spoon or two for the posh types.

[=P]

#17 ·
Remember we used to get Chicken curry for pub lunch every Sunday, then when we where in Liverpool he gave us Egg curry instead.

The purser was not amused when we draw a coffin on the dartboard scoreboard with RIP Chicken Curry underneath

#18 ·
Prawn Cocktail, Steak and Chips, Arctic Roll and as much Tennants Thistle Can juice as you can get down your Gregory as possible!

In the words of Barbara Streisand.............Memories!(Pint)(Pint)(Pint)(Pint)

#22 ·
Bob mentions Tripe , reputedly the most loved or loathed food on the planet.
No in betweens , so much so that an Auckland Pub in Hobson street called the Shakespeare Tavern invited Tripe lovers to form a club where members could enjoy a Tripe and beer evening on a monthly basis.
It got a good response, husbands joined , wives joined , even a few couples joined and it gained in popularity . I can well imagine that romançe might have well blossomed as what could be a better catalyst than a Tripe loving partner .
I don't know if the club survives

Bob .

#27 ·
You bin lookin in me kitchen winder then?? That's what I cooked for dinner tonight, Don! Yer cud stand yer fork up in the gravy, mate!

Try this with the liver: I cut the lambs fry off on the slant, so thinly, it's almost not there, then dip each piece in flour seasoned with lots of fresh-ground black pepper, and a sprinkle of ***in powder - no salt - then heat in a wide fry-pan, some salted butter with a splash of olive oil so it doesn't burn.
Place four or five slices in the hot, but not burning, butter and after about three (3) seconds, turn with tongs, remove after another 3 seconds and keep just warn, not hot or it'll dry out - the blood should still be running out. Continue with the rest of the liver. (At this juncture, it is permissible to eat a few pieces - try it with bacon for breakfast!)

Proceed with the rest of the dish as usual - lots of near-burnt onions(caramelised, if you're posh), then one oxo cube in a dollop of good red, some home-made chicken stock and when everything is ready, if there is any liver left after sampling, pile it in, gently stirring - that's a job the missus can do while you relax after your grand effort, with a stiff one. Don't let her sample it though, or she'll polish it off when you're not looking. Don't overcook it!! I also use fresh hot chili and shaved ginger, but that's not to everyone's taste.

I mash 50/50 pumpkin and spuds with butter, cream, garlic and black pepper, to soak up the gravy. Great for the heart.

Bon appetit...!! (Eat)

Taff

#25 ·
Pub lunch

Don,t insult the Bank Line, Sunday lunch, Chicken Curry, paratas and beer.
The only tripe I came across was on the Weirbank where the Chief steward was using a large frozen block of it to stand on to reach the upper shelves in The deep freeze.
The best place for Sunday lunch was Raffles, Singapore, curry buffet and draught Tiger.
Have fun.

#26 ·
My old man used to cook tripe when I was a kid. Much to the disgust of my old dear, the neighbours … in fact the whole council estate.

The smell was science fiction … :eek:

I never picked up enough courage to try it …. (EEK)

#31 ·
A real pub lunch is a ploughman's: A large crusty fresh-baked bread roll smelling of yeast, with lashings of real butter. Then a large slab of mature Cheddar cheese resting on a bed of lettuce, cu***ber and tomato and surrounded by crunchy pickled onions (those matured in malt vinegar and cloves, not the pathetic soggy shop bought things in white vinegar). Finally a large dollop of Branston's pickle and a pint or three of good English bitter. Now that is a lunch for a king!

Recipe for real pickled onions if you can't find them in the shops (you can't): Into a large jar peel shallots, then pour in malt vinegar to completely cover the onions. Sprinkle in half a dozen cloves and seal the jar. When the onions are brown they are about ready, but they mature with age like fine wine. Pick them out of the jar when you need them, but don't drain off the vinegar-clove liquid since that too matures and will be ready for the next batch of onions and it will get even better with time.

I boast that I have been doing ploughman's lunches for family over the years, always with my pickled onions that have often been matured for a year or two. It is generally decided that they alone are to die for! (Thumb)

#39 ·
I boast that I have been doing ploughman's lunches for family over the years, always with my pickled onions that have often been matured for a year or two. It is generally decided that they alone are to die for! (Thumb)
Art, you sound like an artist, I thoroughly concur. Why are bought pickles so very unpleasant? They all have sugar added in, which should be a capital crime in my opinion.

One supermarket had very big jars of really good pickled onions, brown vinegar, good size, excellent crunch, but they only lasted about a couple of months and have not had them back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.