Ships Nostalgia banner

Seasons Greetings, IN ENGLISH, from an 'Even Older Elder of Elders'.

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Graham the pipe 
#1 ·
To my shipmates of yesteryear, whoever and wherever ye may be.

I take this opportunity to wish similar to all at SN and all members reading.

#2 ·
I was never a shipmate of yours but cordial greetings and thank you for your salutations. and to all others who sailed under the buff/yellow funnel. I suspect Graham that you sailed on some cushy ships, not like me with the Calgary, Calumet, Sobo, New Texas, Zini, Zungeru, Cottrell, 2 K boats and one charter, the Martagon. Some coal burners, sea water showers etc. To be fair, I did enjoy the Ebani, Salaga and the Owerri before going ashore. As I creep towards 85 years of age, I still look back and think how good the life was and a wonderful background to my life ahead at that time.

Happy Christmas and a healthy New Year to you and all other E D's personel
who still grace our shores. A Happy Christmas and and healthy New Year
Bob Appleton

#3 ·
Thanks for breaking my near 'double duck' Bob!

Trust you had a good Christmas Day and will have a similar Boxing Day and New Year.

Interesting to read your 'sailed ons' and can't compete in volume but Captain Kelly ~ a SN member ~ was my junior cadet on Sangara in '58 having done the final voyage of the Calgary previously. I did some 'K's, no 'Z's but did Cambray and Cabano. Eboe to counter your Ebani and Onitsha and Obuasi for your Owerri.

Kindest to you and yours.

GGG {G reat G randdad G raham now. GTP 'died' on 20th March 2012 when 'gave up' the pipe, overnight, after 54 years puffing.

#4 ·
Joy and contentment to you, Graham. I wonder if anyone recalls Arnold Green of West Hartlepool who was in ED's engine-rooms in the 1950s. He married my sister and I benefited from his old uniforms when he gave up the sea. I sailed with Brocklebanks at that time.
Arnold went ashore to work for Babcock and Wilcox on commissioning of power station boilers.

#5 ·
'top of a Sunny, Surrey morning to you Harry and trust your yesterday was a good one?

Your location is not unfamiliar to me. Attended a pal's wedding reception at a wonderful hotel (?) right on the bay and another sea going pal ~ Jack Sanderson ~ became the pilot/harbour master there circa late '60s. My elder daughter ~ now a granny, which makes me feel a trifle ancient ~ lives in a lovely North Yorkshire village called Thorganby, familiar to you?

Kindest to you, yours and that (?) 'hotel'.

GGG

PS Well done on the 'writing front'; it's good to 'meet' someone who actually 'performed' rather than being an 'Altalk and Nodo'.

#6 ·
'top of a Sunny, Surrey morning to you Harry and trust your yesterday was a good one?

Your location is not unfamiliar to me. Attended a pal's wedding reception at a wonderful hotel (?) right on the bay and another sea going pal ~ Jack Sanderson ~ became the pilot/harbour master there circa late '60s. My elder daughter ~ now a granny, which makes me feel a trifle ancient ~ lives in a lovely North Yorkshire village called Thorganby, familiar to you?

Kindest to you, yours and that (?) 'hotel'.

Yes, Graham, Xmas was fine and peaceful thank you - more family will descend on us tomorrow . . . at 80 surely we are ready to be foddered and entertained by the progeny. Perhaps next year . . .

Hotel on the Bay? Perhaps the Royal in Whitby (it includes "Henry's Bar').

I must have passed through Thorganby (Thorgan was some hairy Dane I suspect) but there are so many little hams and bys on those minor roads. I did have a weekend in Pocklington once.

Best wishes and contentment for the coming year.

regards
Harry

#7 ·
Hi Harry. Can't believe you've 'just passed through' Thorganby. How close is it to your place of residence? Wish I'd known, because 'The Old Engine Works', now the Collins residence, would have welcomed you with a Christmas noggin given due warning.

The 'Royal' must have been my wedding guest venue.

Ditto for MMXIX

GGG

#8 ·
Thank you for your best wishes to us all.i am a little late in my reply but I have been laid low by the dreaded lurgie made worst by a wicked chest infection and as we had visitors from Leamington Spa I was confined to the bedroom but I would like to heap praise on my wife who cared for me and her relatives also helped by my daughter and son in law I thank them all and wish you all a very prosperous new year and good health.

#9 ·
Elder Dempster

Good Morning to you all
First off, All the best for 2019 – and for many years more.....!
I have been a “Silent” member of “Ships Nostalgia” for a few years now but, apart from my “joining” contribution, have not thought that what I have to say would be of any interest to anybody, with the possible exception of my Grandkids!
Although I never had the pleasure of sailing with any of you, or for that matter anybody else whose name has cropped-up on SN, your blogs have been interesting reading!
However, the recent exchange between Graham, Harry, Appbob, and Tom Roberts wakened me up to the reality that there are more “ED’s” men out there beside myself!
I joined ED’s in September of 1958, as one of their first Engineer Cadets when the Brit Gov introduced what was then called “The Alternative Training Scheme” for Marine Engineers. My first ship as Cadet was “Shonga” (08/60 - 02/61), then different ranks through “Accra” (02/61- 09/61), “Dumurra” (10/61-01/62), “Shonga” (03/63 - 06/63), “Aureol” (07/63 - 09/63), “Oti” (09/63 - 10/63), “Forcados” (11/63 - 01/64), “Falaba” (01/64 - 02/64), “Freetown” (02/64 - 12/64), “Oti” (02/65), “Degema” (04/65 - 08/65), “Falaba”, “Freetown”, “Fulani” (10/65 - 12/65), “Freetown (1/66 -12/66), “Fourah Bay”, “Fian”, “Fulani”, ”Sunjarv”, “Degema” (1/67 - 7/67), “Apapa” (06/67-11/67)
I left ED’s soon after the so-called merger with “BluFlu”. Tried my hand at working ashore which lasted for about 6 months and went back to sea with New Zealand Shipping. Good company but eventually “swallowed the anchor” and came ashore in mid-1970.
Left the UK for Portugal in 1973 (where I still live, although now retired, the disease for which there is no cure!). Since then, “been there, done that” to coin a phrase!
Anyway, I’ve probably “gone on “ a bit too long, but hey! Its nice to “talk” to someone who “knows” what I’m talking about....!
John CHS

#10 ·
Your eyesight must be better than mine!

Good Morning to you all
First off, All the best for 2019 – and for many years more.....!
I have been a “Silent” member of “Ships Nostalgia” for a few years now but, apart from my “joining” contribution, have not thought that what I have to say would be of any interest to anybody, with the possible exception of my Grandkids!
Although I never had the pleasure of sailing with any of you, or for that matter anybody else whose name has cropped-up on SN, your blogs have been interesting reading!
However, the recent exchange between Graham, Harry, Appbob, and Tom Roberts wakened me up to the reality that there are more “ED’s” men out there beside myself!
I joined ED’s in September of 1958, as one of their first Engineer Cadets when the Brit Gov introduced what was then called “The Alternative Training Scheme” for Marine Engineers. My first ship as Cadet was “Shonga” (08/60 - 02/61), then different ranks through “Accra” (02/61- 09/61), “Dumurra” (10/61-01/62), “Shonga” (03/63 - 06/63), “Aureol” (07/63 - 09/63), “Oti” (09/63 - 10/63), “Forcados” (11/63 - 01/64), “Falaba” (01/64 - 02/64), “Freetown” (02/64 - 12/64), “Oti” (02/65), “Degema” (04/65 - 08/65), “Falaba”, “Freetown”, “Fulani” (10/65 - 12/65), “Freetown (1/66 -12/66), “Fourah Bay”, “Fian”, “Fulani”, ”Sunjarv”, “Degema” (1/67 - 7/67), “Apapa” (06/67-11/67)
I left ED’s soon after the so-called merger with “BluFlu”. Tried my hand at working ashore which lasted for about 6 months and went back to sea with New Zealand Shipping. Good company but eventually “swallowed the anchor” and came ashore in mid-1970.
Left the UK for Portugal in 1973 (where I still live, although now retired, the disease for which there is no cure!). Since then, “been there, done that” to coin a phrase!
Anyway, I’ve probably “gone on “ a bit too long, but hey! Its nice to “talk” to someone who “knows” what I’m talking about....!
John CHS
Top of a chilly, UK, Saturday evening to you 'Young Man'.

Looking at your ED ships 'sailed on', it would seem we almost but not quite did sail together. Did you ever have the honour/pleasure of sailing with my dear departed pal Derek Bailey? Still can't believe it will be a year on the third of next month since his bar crossing. Our 'Elders of Elders' newsletter, very sadly, 'died' with him. Accepting it was his 'baby' maybe it is a fitting epitaph.

Kindest to you and yours and next time PLEASE use a larger type size!

GGG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.