Ships Nostalgia banner

s.s. Zini.

7K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  rjcgale 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a photograph of ED's Liberty ship "Zini" they could post please? "Zini" was launched in 1943 as "Tench Tilghman" and delivered to the UK Ministry of War Transport to become "Samos". I think EDs managed her for the MoWT and then bought her in 1947, renaming her "Zini". She was sold to Liberian interests in 1959 and renamed "San Salvador".
A friend of mine is putting his career on paper but doesn't have a photo of his first deepsea ship after getting his Second Mates Certificate!
------------
Mike.

#5 ·
Many thanks to you all for your responses - I'd found the site you mentioned James but there is only the shot of her as "Samos", still in wartime condition, unless I've missed something? Your thumbnail of her, eldersuk, is greatly appreciated - many thanks. Ian - I believe my pal was in her in 1953.
---------
Mike.

#6 ·
ss Zini

Elders had 3 Z boats and I sailed on the Zungeru, General cargo to the Coast, produce to US East coast and luckily a bulk cargo of coal from Newport News to Hamburg got us home without a return to the Coast. April/Aug 1952. In 1955 Feb/May I did a straight out and home on the Zini. I have a good light ship photo of the Zungeru alongside in the States but none of the Zini. There is a photo of the Zini in The Elder Dempster fleet history 1852-1985 but it is copyright covered by the publishers Mallet & Bell Publications, 3 College Close, Coltishall, NR12 7DT who may be able to help.
sorry I cannot help further. Bob Appleton

#10 · (Edited)
Elders had 3 Z boats and I sailed on the Zungeru, General cargo to the Coast, produce to US East coast and luckily a bulk cargo of coal from Newport News to Hamburg got us home without a return to the Coast. April/Aug 1952. In 1955 Feb/May I did a straight out and home on the Zini. I have a good light ship photo of the Zungeru alongside in the States but none of the Zini. There is a photo of the Zini in The Elder Dempster fleet history 1852-1985 but it is copyright covered by the publishers Mallet & Bell Publications, 3 College Close, Coltishall, NR12 7DT who may be able to help.
sorry I cannot help further. Bob Appleton
Hi Bob, I coasted as 2nd on the Zungeru from Hamburg to the pool in 55 and would love a photo of her if thats possible. If my memory serves me right her original name was the Crystal Park. I also sailed on the Winnibar for a while to,[I have a sketch of her I did on the back of a menue , oh happy days.

E D line.......Every Day Labour Regards Fred

#8 ·
Zini

Mike,

I joined the Zini on the 29th April 1947, and do have a photograph somewhere, which I will try to find. I thought she was called the Trench C Tilman being the name of the American who supplied the finance for her construction. I do have many photographs of that first trip some showing many members of the crew. I remember the Captain as Mr Kewley and the First Mate as Jimmy Cleator(a real hard man). Your friend must have been the Third Mate for I seem to remember the Second Mate was a ex Royal Navy man. If your friend is interested I would willingly telephone to discuss old times.

Regards. Tim.

#14 ·
samos/zini

Does anyone have a photograph of ED's Liberty ship "Zini" they could post please? "Zini" was launched in 1943 as "Tench Tilghman" and delivered to the UK Ministry of War Transport to become "Samos". I think EDs managed her for the MoWT and then bought her in 1947, renaming her "Zini". She was sold to Liberian interests in 1959 and renamed "San Salvador".
A friend of mine is putting his career on paper but doesn't have a photo of his first deepsea ship after getting his Second Mates Certificate!
------------
Mike your facts are correct
]I sailed on the samos from Kaiser shipyards in 1943,I may have a pic of zini,I collect ship postcards.
Will look and let you know.
Wilfred

#15 ·
Re Post No 10 from Orcades.
The "Crystal Park" became Elder Dempster's "Chandler", later "Natale" of Cia de Nav Indomitus, Panama. Broken up at Spezia 1969. "Zungeru" was launched as "Adolph Lewisohn" but renamed "Samota" by MOWT. Later became "Poros" and then "Mery" before being broken up in 1971.
John Powell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.