Ships Nostalgia banner

A 'Certain Young Lady's' CII nd BIRTHDAY.

Tags
vera lynn
11K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  Ex StevieClarkes 
#1 · (Edited)
Tuesday March 20th 1917 ~ Wednesday March 20th 2019 is one hundred and two years by my arithmetic.

'Her' singing is indelibly etched into my WWII, childhood memories.

Let's hear a resounding cheer ~ from 'ALL HANDS' ~ so that 'she' can clearly hear {in her quiet little, East Sussex village of Ditchling} how much 'she' is loved the world over.

Who are we talking about? You are either too young or too inappreciative of real music if you are not aware that LV is 55 and 'VL' is the one and ONLY Vera Lynn.

(Applause)(Applause)(Applause)

"May your very special day be very special and here's to CIII'.

GGG on behalf of all at SN
SN

#3 ·
Great memories of Vera, Graham, particularly in wartime, thanks for posting.
One other beautiful lady has a birthday on that day, however, my Sylvia is a little younger having been born in the middle of the 1947 great snowstorm in Yorkshire - 30 years to the day apart.

Cheers,

Taff

#6 ·
Glad I'm not alone in my love for this lovely lady ~ thanks for your 'confirmation' gentlemen!

A very happy forthcoming 72nd to {Still} Young Sylvia on her and VL's 'shared day'. Give her an additional 'smacker' on the day, Taff and when she says "What's THAT for"? Tell her it's from the 'Smith Collins' clan, one time all Suvenners now part second generation Yorkshire in the lovely, small, North Yorkshire village of Thorganby.

Have a great weekend 'wherever ye may be'.

GGG

#8 ·
G'day from Oz, Graham,

The old... sorry - Sylvia said to thank you for your kind words and to give you a big kiss from her. Tough titties mate, I don't kiss blokes, but thanks for your thoughts anyway. ? (How the hell did that get there? Where is she??)

Cheers,

Taff

#12 ·
Some more music for you Nick from 'Our Girl' plus an interview you should find interesting.

Vera Lynn (March 20, 1917) - TV Interview 2010 -

Video for Vera Lynn at London palladium▶ 9:07

4 Jan 2015 - Uploaded by Ccvanl4
Dame Vera Lynn - 92 years of age in 2010 - looks back on her career. ... a star-studded variety extravaganza ...

Dame Vera Lynn with a Wartime Medley. (A Royal Birthday Gala)

Video for vera lynn at london palladium▶ 9:13

4 May 2018 - Uploaded by Vaudeville Funtimes
The Queen Mother on the occasion of her 90th birthday. The BBC presents a Royal Birthday Gala.

Dame Vera Lynn performs at 1990 Royal Variety Performance.

#25 ·
Fair comment

Our Gracie entertained the troops, from the BEF to New Guinea. As for remaining in Britain during The War - lots of us did - no big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeVI1apgT0w
You are 10 years my senior, 'S', so our wartime years were somewhat different and I certainly had no intention of 'slurring' Gracie, it was just that Vera had a rather special birthday.

#28 ·
Being nabbed for National Service (another story) and spending it in Germany was a big eye opener for me. It was there that I met up with the Cdn Army and liked what I saw. They were unofficially recruiting out of the Cdn Army Liaison Establishment in London, and after being clear of NS I enlisted with them and never looked back.

Kent was regarded as the front lines in 1940 and beyond, so an exciting place to be - just so long as nothing unpleasant came your way.

Salut, mon vieux.(Thumb)

#29 ·
The right or wrong place at the wrong or right time.

My 'schoolboy French' is decidedly rusty so I'll simply say, en Anglais, "Top of a chilly, Surrey morning to you Young Man".

Thanks for the very abridged resume of your interesting life from young to 'not so young'.

Entirely up to you but if you'd like to PM me with your e mail address I'll sent you some 'photographic evidence' which epitomise '44, Kent and me personally.

Au 'voir GGG[/B
] (Thumb)

#31 ·
Vera Lynn

Thank you so much for these memories. I was 7 when the War started, so I remember all of these songs, and all of the things related to the War, both of my parents worked in the Shipyard in Vancouver Washington. Again, through my tears, Thank you, for the memories. (Applause)(Applause)(Applause)

#32 ·
Thank you so much for these memories. I was 7 when the War started, so I remember all of these songs, and all of the things related to the War, both of my parents worked in the Shipyard in Vancouver Washington. Again, through my tears, Thank you, for the memories. (Applause)(Applause)(Applause)
My pleasure, Pat, pleased you enjoyed and that those tears were, I sincerely hope, 'happy ones'?

Kindest to you and yours from a decidedly chilly UK.

GGG

#34 ·
Hello Graham. Re. The War Years.
I suspect that I was too young to appreciate V. L. but I well remember the summer of 1940.
After my father's ship was sunk off Folkestone we moved to a farm in Sussex where a 5 year old was very interested in what was going on in the sky. Not very therapeutic for a shipwrecked mariner though and when a plane came down in the next field with a full bomb load we shifted ship back up North.
All the best. Bert.

#35 ·
Hi ex Stevieclarkes
We may have been Ships passing in the Night I was a Boatman in Shoreham in the 60s I remember in those days the Steyning Lancing Totland Amberly Shoreham Portslade Arundel Borde Bramber Horsted Keynes Balcombe Portsmouth running to Shoreham
Granty

#36 ·
Graham,
I was 2/O on Steyning in 1956, no ticket, and did not go to Shoreham. My father was Master on the SS.Henry Moon owned by Brighton Electric Board, managed by S.C. and ran to Portslade power station. Attacked off Dover and sunk off Folkstone on 25th.July 1940 (Black Thursday). There is a book called "Coastal Convoys 1939-1945", The Everlasting Highway by Nick Hewitt which gives a good account of the North Sea trade at that time.

Bert.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.