Ships Nostalgia banner

Obuasi

27K views 58 replies 29 participants last post by  Sapelelove 
#1 ·
Elder Dempster's OBUASI was built by Harland & Wolff in 1952. She was a handsome ship that showed off in her lines the stylish touch of Elder's naval architect, John Waddington. She was a practical ship capable of lifting 7,089 tons on a loaded draft of 23 feet. There were 6 deep tanks for vegetable oil, reefer space and even a magazine for explosives. Comfortable accommodation was provided for 12 passengers on the centrecastle deck, with a lounge and bar forward and (this was a notable feature of all Elder Dempster's ships) a large verandah area at the after deck.
In the Kylsant era (1909-1931) Elder Dempster had pioneered deep-sea going diesel engines for OBUASI, engineering director Alan Bennett had decided that a 5 cylinder B & W single acting two stroke should be installed. It produced 3,750bhp and gave a service speed of 13 knots.
OBUASI was not committed to a designated route in the pooled services of Elder Dempster-Palm Line-Guinea Gulf's fleets: She was programmed into sailings as cargoes needed to be moved. This meant that the cadets found themselves on OBUASI heading for the USA from West Africa and back to the 'Coast'.
OBUASI's older sister was ONITSHA which, with a 150 ton heavy lift derrick - primarily for lifting railway locomotives- was unique.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it was in 1968, when I was on the Lagos Palm in Port Harcourt, on remembrance sunday. We were berthed stbd side alongside, and Obuasi was port side alongside astern of us.
At 1100 I went aft (apprentice) to lower the ensign at thre same time as the apprentice on the Obuasi.
He turned out to be Paul Taylor, a friend from the time we were both at Worcester, and consequently we enjoyed many beers that day - much to the dismay of our respective Chief officers!

#5 ·
Allan
Yes your correct about the ONDO on the 6.12.61 she had stopped whilst approaching Brunsbuttel to pick up 3 men from the Cuxhaven pilot launch which had capsized. The ONDO was blown aground and lost. The pilots all drowned but there were no fatalities on the ONDO

NigelC

#6 ·
Nigel,

Thanks, saves me having to start digging through the books.

Others may remember, but I think the funnel was had a regular repaint by the German authorities, as a sort of thank you for the gallant act. If my memory serves correctly, as you approached the pilot station the incongruous site of a pristine Elder Dempster buff funnel met you, atop a rather rusty wreck.

Any takers???

Allan

#7 ·
Ondo

ONDO and OTI differed from the other four 'O' class vessels in that they were built without passenger accommodation, there were other slight differences but the hull, engines etc. were identical to the rest of the class.

The sad story of the loss of the ONDO (picture attached) can be found at
http://ondo.sea-rescue.de/

The master of ONDO, Capt. W. Farquhar was dismissed by Elder Dempster following the loss of his ship, but was feted by the Elbe pilot service for his attempts to save the three men in the water. These attempts, of course, were the cause of the vessel stranding.

Derek

Attachments

#8 ·
Derek,

Saw the site and rather wished I hadn't. Sad to see the remains of a beautiful ship rotting on a sandbank, however the site is indeed a memorial to a brave act by Capt Farquhar. I can remember my father (Laurie James) talking about the wreck and seeing her during my time at sea.

Many thanks for the information, it helped explain what happened and helped my memory a lot.

Regards.

Allan

#12 ·
OBUASI - I worked on her as a rigger a few times during her visits to Tilbury during the late 1950'.I believe the deck crew were 10 cadets and two AB'..
The Bosun was George and I think he was also an instructor..
Of ONITSHA - what an abortion..Ian uses the word unique and she was ..
To bring the jumbo derrick into operation was a 10 hour job for riggers..
13 yes 13,stays had to be set up on the foremast..All these stays were stowed in No1 tweendeck and took quite some time to be brought up and set up,using huge bottlescrews...
No 1 hold could not be worked while jumbo was in operation..The steam guys were attached to the lower block of the purchase and led to four winches..
Unique yes - an abortion definitely !!!!

#13 ·
Mention of Sapele in this thread reminds me that I was in the third deep sea ship to visit that " port".. DEIDO - McGREGOR LAIRD and then my ship DALLINGTON COURT on Elder Dempster charter - during February 1946..
We moored to trees accross the river from Sapele,I took photos of it...Canoes took us ashore..We loaded logs from the river which had taken weeks to get there drifting on the eternal ebb.. We had Kroo boys aboard from Freetown to work the cargo...long time ago!!!

#22 ·
I did a voyage on the "Obuasi" in the late 1950s. The Bosun was called George and he had a passion for rope work and made some really intricate bell ropes. Name a knot and he could do it.
One of the cadets was a Ghanian, Tachie-Mensah, who in time got his Masters Ticket and subsequently sailed in that capacity with Black Star Line.
Another cadet from South Africa, Dick Coker, decided that ships were too slow for him and decided on a career change. Years later I learnt that he was a Pilot with South African Airways.

Alan

#26 ·
I was writer on the m.v."Obuasi" Sailed Victoria Docks 3.5.56 docked Avonmouth 18.7.56 promoted Assistant Purser following trip, so must have done something right! Great ship, great crew (bit like bedlam sometimes,) but I was young too - had my 21st Birthday on board, seem to remember we would play anybody at anything even Rugby against Parkinson Howard who were building Tema Harbour - usual joke is "got sand in it", we got grit - played on a pitch that took the skin off everything - I think the Hairy ****d constuction workers knew how to rub it in, Return trip to Avonmouth, had a night ashore with " Jim" who I think worked for Costains as an Engineer, after his car was discharged, he took us in it to Bristol - good night out we couldn`t remember where he parked the car - didn`t see him again- no idea if he ever found the thing.

#27 ·
The mention of George Fairbairn set memories of Georges voice ringing out :IS THE BEER ICED: as the greaser struggled up the gangway with a grate of beer on his shoulder having walked the best part of 2 mile with it in the mid day sun. Oh happy days,,,,,,, E.D.Line every day labour

#30 ·
Good afternoon to fellow Elders of Elders. Was introduced to SN by DB and am still finding my sea legs so, in this instance, trust I AM pressing the right buttons and this does drop anchor where I want it to, namely on the ED forum.

Notice the name John Ainsworth mentioned in respect of the Obuasi in 1959. He was headman when I joined her on Jan 1st 1960. From memory, Harry Hathaway took over from him and I from Harry in the middle of a 'double header' to the States. Did not leave her, on that UK to UK voyage, until Jan 1961 before joining the Eboe as uncerificated 4th mate.

Any 'names' out there from that voyage, apart from the many who 'came back' as a result of Paul Wood's rakaia site. Shipmate CaptK, to name but one, (Sangara 1958 and Obuasi 1960). You will know, if you are on my Nautical U Uncensored Do***ent Exchange circuit, that I am talking about 'fellow Obuasians' who are NOT members of NUDEs.

Await, with interest, any reponse!

GTP (Smoke)(Cloud)

#31 ·
Was headman on the 'Obuasi' in 1960, the third one in our States, 'double header' when we were away for a year 'plus'. Sailed January that year and finally returned to the UK January 1961. 'Quite a voyage'! Am still in regular touch with several of 'my lads'! Hard to believe we are now talking about events half a century ago! John Ainsworth was headman when I joined, Harry Hathaway then took over, then self. Hanging on my lounge wall is world renowned, Marine Artist, Robert Lloyd's original oil painting of the 'Obuasi'. He's a good friend and was my guest at the E of E, annual Liverpool lunch a few years ago. I restricted the prints, of his picture, to just 50, before the plate was destroyed. Are a few left so, should any of you reading this be interested, just let me know. GTP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.