Ships Nostalgia banner

Captain 'Whispering' Davies and his seascape paintings.

6K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Graham the pipe 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a simple request, on a simple subject, from this simple soul simply seeking to see whether any Es of Es 'out there' would either be able to assist, personally, or - at the very least - point me in the right direction.

After 2nd mate's, in '61, I joined the Donga for my first voyage as a certificated, watch keeping 3/0, as opposed to the uncertificated but still watch keeping 4/0 I had been on the Eboe a few months earlier. I had the perfect mentor as Master, Captain Grassick.

Once he had confidence that you knew what you were doing, be it handing the ship in heavy traffic, or your ability with a sextant in inclement weather, you were 'accepted' and treated as his equal rather than what you actually were, very much his inferior.

His love and understanding of the 'mysteries of the deep' were 'released', with a passion, in his seascape paintings. I have always deeply regretted never having acquired one when given that opportunity. Can anyone help in any way or have I simply left my polite request over half a century too long? Thanking you in 'forever the optimist' anticipation (Thumb). G

PS Have changed the name from Davies to Grassick, the latter being the CORRECT name of the Master in question. Thanks for pointing out my error Julian. Not sure whether you can actually change a thread title, once opened, so haven't tried. This PS is so that my error is not continuously 'pointed out' by all Es of Es reading!

See less See more
#2 ·
Sailed with him on the Falaba in 1967 and purchased one of his paintings. (where did I get the spare cash as a mere cadet?)
Were all his paintings different or did he repeat them?
Not sure what I paid but obviously worth thousands now!!!
Picture hanging in my sisters house and doubt if she will part with it.

#3 ·
Hi Julian. The wonders of modern science never cease to amaze me! Here's me going back a few years and - within 17 minutes - Eureka! Very cheeky of me, I know but is there any possibility your sister could take a picture of it, sent it to you and then you, in turn, send to me via my e address, which you know? Just tell her it's a belated way of saying "Thank you" to you for the present you, presumably, gave her all those years ago. Cheers and "Thanks" - in 'anticipation'. G

#4 ·
Graham,That`s a lovely story, I didn`t know Capt Grassick painted.
I sailed with him on the Katha 11.1.56 from Liverpool under my Paddy Henderson rating of Super numary(I spaced deliberately it looks wrong "supernumary" don`t you agree?)
If I remember correctly wonderful beard, more understated than Timmo`s waxen whiskers.
"Whispering" where did that come from? in my minds eye, I can still hear his clarion call of "boy" for his Burmese steward from his cabin to the pantry on the main deck.
His speech was beautifully modulated Scots - he must have come from Inverness (where the best English is spoken)

#7 · (Edited)
When I posted my 'enquiry', even though I did, initially, get the name wrong, I never thought that almost immediately I would be in receipt of a photo of one of his seascapes. That was thanks to Julian Calvin who had bought one off Grassick and given it to his sister, who still has it hanging on her wall.

#13 ·
Hi Colin,
I`m glad you found us here on SN, welcome!
When I said I could "hear" you father in my minds eye calling "boy" and could still visualise his face and manner. I cannot do that for many other people I have come in contact with over all these years.
As a Sassenach what do I know of Scottish accents? Well I married a Scots girl in 1962 and lived for 20 years Newport on Tay/ Dundee area and worked and travelled all over Scotland. But my wife was a qualified Speech and Drama teacher (Family from Inverness/Cawdor area via Perth and St Andrews) she always said the purest English was spoken in Inverness.
Wish I stayed there now!
Hope you stay around here now you`ve found us.

#16 ·
Today's date is January 3rd 2019 and as of yesterday I am the proud, 'official owner' of the painting to the right in Colin's posting of 29th August last year.

Five days from Queensland to Surrey ~ how's that for speed and efficiency? Again ~ this time on a open forum ~ my profound thanks, Colin, for a 'deal' that you're happy with and I am 'pinching myself' to see if it is true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.