Ships Nostalgia banner

Denby Grange 1958-1973

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kevin murphy 
#1 · (Edited)
The second ship the bear the name, this tanker was built in 1958 and like all the tankers and ore-carriers in the Houlder fleet at that time, traded under a long term time-charter rather than on the spot market; ending up with Stolt-Nielsen and being re-named Stolt Grange before finally being sold in 1973, re-named Stolt Puma and in 1976 sold and re-named Puma. Broken up in the same year. As a clean oil ship, she spent some of her time supplying aviation spirit to the Americans during the Vietnam War.

AJ Hawkins has kindly posted a useful image: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/40276/limit/recent

#2 · (Edited)
Denby Grange

I sailed on the Denby Grange in 1967 as a Deck Apprentice. I joined her in drydock in the Tyne (picture in Gallery) which gave both apprentices a chance to get up to speed on "the line" and associated valves.

Loaded mogas in Milford Haven for Copenhagen then out to Ras Tunara under charter to Caltex where we loaded about eight different grades at a time mostly for the Far East but occaisionally Europe. The apprentices took on the carpenters responsibilities as that position had just been removed from the crew list. Lots of good memories. Singapore for Saigon, Bangkok and Hong Kong. Loading turpentine in Vishakhapatnam for Calcutta and Madras (no bond on that coast)!!

Stood by the Athel Laird off Fratelli Rocks. She had broken down and was dragging her way ashore. The attached Thumbnail shows a line being floated down to the Denby Grange on a lifebuoy and a large Teepool tin. We were unable to recover the line but shortly after a tug came out from Tunis and took the Laird in tow.

If my memory serves me right, Captain Jackson was the Master; Mike Caine(?) C/O; David Enever 2/0 and Dave Ley 3/0. The pumpman was Frank Nell a real character. Usually, crews on the Denby Grange could expect to be out for a long trip (10 months +) but Houlders surprised us all by flying us home from the Gulf after six months.

The other Thumbnail shows some of the crew (celebating the 5/E's bogus Saigon Star) taken alongside in Saigon.

Cheers

Attachments

#3 ·
Denby Grange

I can recommend a book called "On the Bridge - a Story of King Billy" written by Bill George (the bosun) about an 11 month trip during 1965/1966, on the Denby Grange. (Cunningly disguised as Derby Grange). published by Seaman Publications. Excellent characterisation, sometimes very funny. Thoroughly recommended. I would be interested if there are SN members who were on that voyage and can confirm the authenticity of the anecdotes!

#4 ·
I can recommend a book called "On the Bridge - a Story of King Billy" written by Bill George (the bosun) about an 11 month trip during 1965/1966, on the Denby Grange. (Cunningly disguised as Derby Grange). published by Seaman Publications. Excellent characterisation, sometimes very funny. Thoroughly recommended. I would be interested if there are SN members who were on that voyage and can confirm the authenticity of the anecdotes![/QUOTE

I must have joined the Denby Grange at the end of that voyage. She was in the Tyne in drydock and I joined her in October of 1966. The only person I can recall rejoining the ship from the previous trip was Frank Nell, the Pumpman, and that wasn't for the full voyage.

#5 ·
l brought the book after seeing the information as l was a catering boy on the denby joining in Bharain late 1967 till june 68 and we did 2 runs to the far east, 1 down under and then over to the states before flying home. I think the same Captain was on as was in the book and it was one of the happiest ships l was on in my 10 years a sea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.