looking for old shipmate - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
06:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

looking for old shipmate

User Tag List

Old 22nd March 2019, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supern View Post
I live in Melbourne and along with nearly 5 million other people and a lot of Smiths. In fact my best friend's maiden name is Smith as is one of my neighbours, not to rain on your parade but very difficult to find a Smith
Thanks for your thoughts. I know it is a needle in a haystack, maybe 6 degrees of separation may come into play who knows.

Cheers
Old 21st April 2019, 08:17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supern View Post
I live in Melbourne and along with nearly 5 million other people and a lot of Smiths. In fact my best friend's maiden name is Smith as is one of my neighbours, not to rain on your parade but very difficult to find a Smith

Thanks. I've written twice to the address in UK I was given. It was pretty close to be worth the try. I will wait to see what happens. Could be lots of reasons for the lack of response, hope my 2nd letter gets some sort of reply. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas and help.
Old 4th May 2019, 04:42

Response to my 2nd letter, not the right Roger Smith. Close in age and place of origin. Seems there were a lot of Roger Smiths born in that area just after the war, returning soldiers I guess.
Supern, maybe ask around your friends and relatives as I still think he might be somewhere in Melbourne or Victoria. That is if he is not pushing up daisies somewhere.
Thanks for any clues anyone can think of I've pretty much run out of leads.