Ex Anchor Line 1975-1980 - Ships Nostalgia
01:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ex Anchor Line 1975-1980

User Tag List

Old 18th April 2015, 18:39

Ex Anchor Line 1975-1980

Served as Cadet then 3rd Mate, on Mv Glenmoor, Kirriemoor,Egidia,Caledonia and Eucadia between above dates. Any ex colleagues out there?

Last edited by Raymond Thompson; 19th April 2015 at 17:31..
Old 19th April 2015, 13:17

Raymond - Not sure if our paths crossed - I was seconded to Jeddah Port mid 1975 - sailed with Anchor Line from 1961 until 1975 and was Chief Officer at the time of my departure - if you give me some names I can possibly provide update as continued to deal with the vessels during their Jeddah calls and subsequently took over the Eucadia and renamed her Sigiriya - registered in Colombo - tramped her for two years then scrapped.
Bob L.
Old 19th April 2015, 17:12

Memory not as good as should be, remember the likes of Capt. Mike Dean, Duncan Lamont, John Swan, Alex Fielding and older ones like Willy MacVicar, & Tommy Rowe. Of the Mates I sailed with, Ian Swan, Jim Innes, William Paton. There was a mate who would sail 2nd mate on occasion might have been Jimmy Paton. Then 2nd mate Gordon Bird, 3rd Mate Ray Hardgreaves. Sorry don't recall others but can see their faces.

Last edited by Raymond Thompson; 20th April 2015 at 10:41..
Old 20th April 2015, 16:33

Raymond - Yes, Remember most of these names - always enjoyable sailing with Tommy Rowe, Alan Fielding ( His Brother in Law was Captain Gordon Robson - another real pleasure to sail with ) Willie MacVicar was also a superb Master - Last time I met Duncan Lamont was in Jeddah when he was Master on Exmoor - I was working in the port - another pleasure to sail with - never a dull moment with Duncan - the other two I also remember and sailed with both !
John Swan was a Lecturer at GCNS and died about 4 years ago I think.
The three "C" Class Bulk Carriers were a financial problem for the Company as they were funded in Danish Kroner and at the time it was linked loosely to the Deutchsmark but when that was changed it made the financing much more expensive and the vessels unprofitable so were sold - that affected the Company and its future.
Did you continue at sea after leaving Anchor Line - Eucadia was the last vessel as I remember - it was sold to Athinea Shipping and chartered back to Anchor for a period - were you on it when it was handed over in Colombo ?
Bob L.
Old 20th April 2015, 17:36

Bob - left the Navy mid 1980 to come ashore. Anchor line or Runcieman Shipping as it was called had sold there bulk carriers and Mike Dean and a Capt Howlett went to Mearsk line with them to be converted to car carriers.The company was selling everything and only continuing with the liquid gas tankers under Gibsons. I was offered a job with Jardines out of Hong Kong but decided to jump ship. My 1st trip with Anchor Line was on the MV Glenmoor with Tommy Rowe and I remember we spent over 100 days at anchor of Jeddah late 75 into 76. I used to play deck tennis with him on the 3rd hatch with a badminton net. Memory of Alan Fielding was on the run between Glasgow & Manchester loading and unloading his precious Rover 2000cc car.
Ray Hargreaves worked in the post-office at Betty hill in the North of Scotland when he wasn't at sea, but lost track of him when I came ashore. Last saw John Swan in March 1980 on the Eucadia again doing the Coast, still have his signed certificate of watchkeeping to go towards my mate's ticket that I never sat...
Old 20th April 2015, 18:40

Raymond - Wondered what happened to Captains Dean and Howlett - sailed with both - no further comment !! Bob L
Old 21st April 2015, 08:00

My location
Also sailed with Capt.Howlett on the Exmoor in 1962 amd the Hazelmoor in 63/64. Did nothing to enhance a sea going career, came ashore after leaving the Hazelmoor in Aden mid 1964.
Old 21st April 2015, 14:21

tonypad - Why am I not surprised - I sailed as Second Mate and Mate with both - difference experience to the Masters I had sailed with both previously and subsequently but suspect you get my drift - only once with each and never again !!! Bob L.
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:18

Raymond - You will have noted my comments to tonypad re. the two Masters who went to Maersk - did you sail with Ian Turner, Les Sullivan or Jim Lowe when they were Cadets also Sam Judah 2/0 - Angus MacInnes 2/0 - Jim Priest C/0 - cannot think of any others as there was a large turnover of Deck/Engine Staff in the mid 70's and I was offered " secondment " - went to Saudi Arabia then North Yemen and finally Kuwait - back to U.K. Where I set up a shipping company for an investor - ended up with 16 vessels after two years - interesting experience - then Sri Lanka where I operated a Ship Management and Port operations Company and that is how I ended up with Eucadia as it was a vessel I knew - spent 10 years there then set up a branch office in Holland before returning to U.K. in 1990 and re-joining George Gibson and Runciman Shipping as Operations Director - after 6 years went into the training sector but still have shipping interests although now retired. Bob L.
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:12

Old shipmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Thompson View Post
Served as Cadet then 3rd Mate, on Mv Glenmoor, Kirriemoor,Egidia,Caledonia and Eucadia between above dates. Any ex colleagues out there?
Hello Ray.where have you been all these years.Its Ken 3rd eng. From the Kirriemoor & Caledonia.I have been hoping you would become a member of SN.
Have you ever heard what happened to Andie.All the best ken.
Old 22nd April 2015, 21:58

Bob L - Sailed with Jimmy Priest as 2/0 and as Mate on the Eucadia and on the Egidia. Both with Duncan Lamont as Master. The last trip was with British crew, and the Chief Steward (sorry can't remember his name but had been with Anchor line all his days & came with the Cook and 2nd Cook), Jimmy and Duncan used to get plastered most days in port... Gin was only 78p a litre in those days....
Old 22nd April 2015, 22:02

Riptide - Ken you brought back memories of going ashore in Brazil in 77 and Japan in 78. Shocking...If I remember right you used to break into singing Neil Diamond songs on the way back to the ship. Its a wonder we were not locked up.Alas I don't have and info on Andie. I left the Navy in late 1980...Good to here from you. Ray.

Last edited by Raymond Thompson; 22nd April 2015 at 22:04..
Old 23rd April 2015, 12:58

Ray - Good old Duncan - he never changed - relieved Jim Priest frequently - he always left all the paperwork in excellent condition so it was easy to slot in.
Did you come across Captain Martin - came from the S.W. of England and did great impressions of " The Wurzels " ( If you remember them !!! )
Believe one of the "C" Class Bulkers ran aground somewhere - any ideas ?
Gets one thinking when you start going back in time - they were interesting days. Bob L.
Old 23rd April 2015, 17:16

Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Thompson View Post
Riptide - Ken you brought back memories of going ashore in Brazil in 77 and Japan in 78. Shocking...If I remember right you used to break into singing Neil Diamond songs on the way back to the ship. Its a wonder we were not locked up.Alas I don't have and info on Andie. I left the Navy in late 1980...Good to here from you. Ray.
Ray I still have the 2 mugs we were given in that little bar/rest.in that small village just outside Port Nagoya.They were good times,sadly all in the past.Ken
Old 28th April 2015, 10:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1979

Hi Guy's

Sailed on MV Exmoor 1976 on loan from Common Bros, don't remember too many names Alan Turnbull was 3eng the chief i believe was from Largs, the 2nd John? from Wallsend, and enjoyed Steward was Willy? he lived in Glasgow. Joined
In Antwerp bound for Poland for bagged cement then to Gulf Iran at anchor for a long while,plenty of work done in engine room,when along side paid off,very good trip really it.
Regards to all
Keith Humphreys.
Old 28th April 2015, 17:34

Keith - As I recall the " Exmoor " had a chequered history - built as a spec ship by Denny but due to yard closing was completed by Stephens I think - did she have a problem with scavenge fires - seem to recall something about this.
She was owned by Runcimans but chartered to Anchor Line.
Visited her in Jeddah and Captain Lamont showed me around - bit of a change for him after Anchor Lines previous vessels but these vessels ( also Fernmoor and last Egidia ) were all acquired for short term business and chartering out.
Know a lot of long term Anchor Seastaff had left by this time so approached a number of companies and got staff on a" secondment " basis.
Old 1st May 2015, 10:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1979

Hi Bob
In my time on MV Exmoor we never had a scavenge fire,and none of the regular lads mentioned any,i sailed on ships with Sulzer Engines alot and never experianced a scavenge fire on any of them,perhaps i was lucky.
Regards.
Keith.
Old 15th June 2015, 22:49
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 2004

I certainly remember some of these names. I was 3rd. mate on the Glenmoor 1974. Anchor Line paid for my second mate's ticket, I was despatched to the Cameronia and Caledonia after that.

I remember Alex Simpson (Maybole area) as cadet on the Glenmoor.
It was a longish trip I recall (8 months or so), due partly to a dock strike in Bombay.
My name -- John Hutton.
Old 16th June 2015, 09:25

John, I don't known if our paths crossed. It was rare for me during my cadetship with Anchor line to meet other cadets. I've dug out my discharge book and I was on the Caledonia between May-September 76, and February-June 78. I remember being shown the ballast procedure and the schematic diagram on the board in the engine-room hastily by a cadet each time I joined, but like everything they were flying out either the same day or the next. The true meaning of ships that pass in the night. On the rare occasion I sailed with a cadet, they were Indian, the only one I can remember was Jonathan O'Shea from Bangalore.
Raymond Thompson.
Old 21st June 2015, 22:01
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 2004

Raymond.
I joined the Caledonia 26/11/75 and ended that trip 12/2/76.
So, just before yourself on that occasion.
I know that most of my discharge book entries are now distant memories, but that trip I remember well.
Had to go to Queensland to join.
Had just passed my second mate's ticket, I didn't even have the little booklet, just a bit of paper stamped by the Board Of Trade.
My previous discharge was A.B., I picked up that job on the local ferry (Stranraer/Larne).
Although I had been third mate on the Glenmoor, I had been A.B. for a number of years.
(I was a cadet to start with, but went on deck as E.D.H. after my College year, and remained on deck for a while)
Old 30th April 2019, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith humphreys View Post
Sailed on MV Exmoor 1976 on loan from Common Bros, don't remember too many names Alan Turnbull was 3eng the chief i believe was from Largs, the 2nd John? from Wallsend, and enjoyed Steward was Willy? he lived in Glasgow. Joined
Hi Keith.
Would the John from Wallsend be John Rogers by chance?
In Antwerp bound for Poland for bagged cement then to Gulf Iran at anchor for a long while,plenty of work done in engine room,when along side paid off,very good trip really it.
Regards to all
Keith Humphreys.
Hi Keith
Would the John from Walked be John Rogers by any chance?