Harry Smedmore Haysom - Ships Nostalgia
01:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Harry Smedmore Haysom

User Tag List

Old 10th May 2015, 11:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Harry Smedmore Haysom

This is a bit of a long shot but does anyone out there in Royal Mail land know, or know of, someone whose memory stretches back to the 1920s?

If so then I'm looking for information about my maternal grandfather Harry Smedmore Haysom who according to family gossip was a sometime steward and/or chief steward on the Andes of that era and died at sea somewhere off Rio on 6 October 1927, aged 47. I believe he was buried at sea. By all accounts he was an addicted card player and the gambling that went with it, loved a drink and smoked like a chimney!

I was told by my mother that in those days Royal Mail would pay for families of senior sea staff (hence the chief steward tag) to go up to Tilbury and see their husbands before they sailed again - the family was from Hampshire.

Any help gratefully received thanks. Perhaps I should have gone to sea with Royal Mail instead of Ben and Bank lines!
Old 3rd September 2017, 21:12

Hello second cousin!

Dear Waighty

This is absolutely crazy, but I was just about to get some credits on 192 to enable me to get the address of Harry's granddaughter as I am a family history fiend and am trying to trace a number of relatives! I decided to search on Harry first, and your post came up.

My father and your mother were cousins, and she sent a condolence card to my mother when my father died. I do have a small amount of information about your Dad.

Not sure how we contact each other privately?

Best wishes

Your long lost second cousin!
Old 3rd September 2017, 23:53

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnhco View Post
Dear Waighty

This is absolutely crazy, but I was just about to get some credits on 192 to enable me to get the address of Harry's granddaughter as I am a family history fiend and am trying to trace a number of relatives! I decided to search on Harry first, and your post came up.

My father and your mother were cousins, and she sent a condolence card to my mother when my father died. I do have a small amount of information about your Dad.

Best wishes

You can send a Private Message or an email, through this site. Click on Waighty's name and follow the prompts. He was last on site 26th August.

Cheers

Taff
Old 5th September 2017, 13:08
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnhco View Post
Dear Waighty

Best wishes

Hello Long lost Cousin or Penny to be accurate about it. I have replied to your private message but for whatever reason, after spending an hour writing down a lot if information re family, it decided not to send it and deleted the lot! So glad you found this. I shall try again but if it fails again i'll put my email address on this subsite.

Mike
Old 5th September 2017, 23:14

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waighty View Post
Hello Long lost Cousin or Penny to be accurate about it. I have replied to your private message but for whatever reason, after spending an hour writing down a lot if information re family, it decided not to send it and deleted the lot! So glad you found this. I shall try again but if it fails again i'll put my email address on this subsite.

Mike
G'day, Waighty - PM's are limited in length, so you'd need to split them into separate posts - the site will tell you if a message is too long.
Don't post your email address on here, rather send it to cuzz by SM email - it's private.

Cheers

Taff