Royal Mail Line - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
05:41

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Royal Mail Line

User Tag List

Old 8th December 2008, 04:50

Durango

Quote:
Originally Posted by R396040 View Post
Hello Graham,
Yes its suprising Royal Mail hasnt had more attention.
I did my first trip to sea in Royal Mails "Loch Garth" as galley boy. She was a fine ship and great run to West Indies,thru Panama and up west coast of States & Canada that was in 1948 January. Later in the early fifties I also sailed on Drina, Durango and the old Gascony. Found them a good company to sail with. Am still a member of the Royal Mail Association which unfortunately is on its last legs ,like us old uns.........
Best wishes,
R396040 Stuart Henderson
Hi Stuart,Paddy Mcdonnell here,I also on the Durango in the 50s, we went to Brazil,Rio and a small town called Rio Grande Do Sol,I als siled on the Loch Avon,that was in the 50s too,maybe '59,just wondering if our paths crossed?
Old 10th February 2009, 02:04

Bob Gibson here-------done a trip on the DURANGO on her maiden voyage outta Belfast to B A or was it Montevdieo? tno cargo there -proceeded to New Zealand 2nd trip on her was to the Plate Catering
Old 10th February 2009, 02:31

Hi Royal Mail crew.

I was SOS on the Eagle Oil tanker 'San Gaspar' in 1949. On one of our trips we arrived in Rio de Janiero about March 1949 just after the Royal Mail ship Magdalena on her maiden voyage struck a reef at the entrance to Rio de Janiero harbour and broke in half. The stern half was beached but the forepart sank. Rumour had it at the time that it was a result of too much celebrating of her maiden voyage. Was that true?
Regards
Eric
Old 10th February 2009, 11:45
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

For some reason or other the maiden voyage and reefing of the Magdelana always seems to draw a blank when trying to find out the facts of said voyage. The term "Insurance" always seems to pop up. I was told once "forget about the Magdelena"
Old 10th February 2009, 22:26

Did a very enjoyable 4 1/2 months in the"Pardo".1961 Brazilian coast,17 years old,great crowd,ship was pretty Spartan,but there again she'd had a hard life.
Old 16th February 2009, 21:37
Active: 1962 - 1976

My location
Joined RML 1962 and served for 6 on Lock Gowan,Ben Blyth was the freezer and had a good voice and most attentive female company, in those days his profile was almost simular to the Capstan ciggie emblem,blown up full size head in the smoke room .all the girls thought it was him in the flesh. The Andes being my last ship with RML hard working keeping all the electrical staff very busy. Now permenently retired but still dream of the good and bad timezss. Gordon Paul
Old 28th April 2009, 08:47

I am after a photo of the HIGHLAND PRINCESS,I went back to London on her
from Del Plata in late 1948. I always remember seeing her in the London docks when I was a boy. Geoff Johnson (Lofty)
Old 28th April 2009, 13:21
Super Moderator

Highland Princess

Lofty

There are a number of photos of Highland Princess in the Galleries:
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...earchid=323940
The ship is also covered in my history of RMSP under Lord Kylsant in the SN Directory
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides..._Empire_Part_4

Regards

Fred
Old 28th April 2009, 22:01
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES

hi, sailed on mv tuscany, to west indies and spanish main, plenty of photos of royal mail ships on photoship,.com regards, STORES
Old 15th June 2009, 19:29

has anybody got photos of the following ships

shonga3 elder dempster

potaro royal mail 1957

sts sans fabian eagle oil

thanks georgeq
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:57

Mv Albany

Sailed on the MV albany as Junior Engineer 1969, my first trip to sea, Loaded Continient . For Renuion Island ,and back loaded madagasger /Renuion Island for europe Old Man came From Hull.Chief engineer ,Jo Richardson(Think That is correct) 4th engineer Jo Patrick From liverpool.Lecky Stuart Walker.
Roger Squires
Old 13th September 2009, 18:02

Some interesting recollections of RML. I had a good time on their ships. It was a nice run to BA and back. Happy days as they say. I am trying to find out what happened to 2/R/O Bob Petch from E. London.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:23
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog96 View Post
I sailed on the "Andes" for 5 years cattering dept. from early 61 to early 66 last 4 years in storeroom and pig. most of the crew had it easy going,but had to be prepared to look busy when needed. Vern.
I sailed on the Andes Aug 65 - Mar 66 as JOS Remember the ''Pig'' well, like a gambling den. Plenty of Camp catering staff in their posh frocks. Fag Ash Lil the wine waiter comes to mind as does Amber. Sods Opera, great fun.
Good ship, but everything had a price. Some crew made fortunes out of their shipmates.
Old 11th October 2009, 20:14

First 2 trips as 2nd R/O was on the Drina. Chief R/O was originally from Eilie in Fife, but lived in Liverpool. 3rd Mate thought he was some thing special,hardly spoke to me on both trips, but took great delight when he had to borrow 10sh on paying off in London, made him ask me twice.
Old 15th July 2010, 21:42

Tuscany

Quote:
Originally Posted by stores View Post
hi, sailed on mv tuscany, to west indies and spanish main, plenty of photos of royal mail ships on photoship,.com regards, STORES
Hi from Anthony (Tony) Holmes

I signed on the Tuscany as a EDH ,Middlesbrough Feb 1964 and left June 1964. When were you serving on her?
Old 3rd March 2011, 18:09

Sternlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeq View Post
has anybody got photos of the following ships

shonga3 elder dempster

potaro royal mail 1957

sts sans fabian eagle oil

thanks georgeq
I HAVE A PHOTO OF THE POTARO ,reply to email [email protected],co,uk
Old 31st March 2011, 14:17

Royal Mail/Furness

In the late 1960's Furness Whity's North Pacific service and same of Royal Mail were combined. Can anyone tell which was the tradename for this service for that moment on? I suppose Royal Mail but I am not certain. Furthermore in 1970 CIENFUEGOS was transferred from PSNC to RML ownership and renamed CHANDELEUR. Was she transferred to RML-service as well or did she remain on PSNC service like the other PSNC vessels which were transferred to RML ownership at the time? In 1970 PACIFIC ENVOY, PACIFIC NORTHWEST, PACIFIC RELIANCE and PACIFIC STRONGHOLD were transferred from FW to RML ownership, be it that they were sold shortly afterwards. Did they trade with the yellow RML funnelcolors in this last year or were they chartered out to other companies? On which service was SOUTHERN PRINCE (1970 transferred to RML)?
Thanks for any information you might have.

Dick Gorter
Netherlands
Old 31st March 2011, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
I sailed on the Andes Aug 65 - Mar 66 as JOS Remember the ''Pig'' well, like a gambling den. Plenty of Camp catering staff in their posh frocks. Fag Ash Lil the wine waiter comes to mind as does Amber. Sods Opera, great fun.
Good ship, but everything had a price. Some crew made fortunes out of their shipmates.
Dickboy,
I narrowly missed sailing with you.... well, by 5 months, I paid off her in April 1965 in S'hampton, jaded by watching 'Goldfinger' 3 times a week in that pig. Everyone knew the script backwards, and every word of it was yelled out by the inebriated audience, especially "PUSSY".
Pat
Old 31st March 2011, 17:15
Active: 1967 - 1970

Lock Ryan RMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickG View Post
In the late 1960's Furness Whity's North Pacific service and same of Royal Mail were combined. Can anyone tell which was the tradename for this service for that moment on? I suppose Royal Mail but I am not certain. Furthermore in 1970 CIENFUEGOS was transferred from PSNC to RML ownership and renamed CHANDELEUR. Was she transferred to RML-service as well or did she remain on PSNC service like the other PSNC vessels which were transferred to RML ownership at the time? In 1970 PACIFIC ENVOY, PACIFIC NORTHWEST, PACIFIC RELIANCE and PACIFIC STRONGHOLD were transferred from FW to RML ownership, be it that they were sold shortly afterwards. Did they trade with the yellow RML funnelcolors in this last year or were they chartered out to other companies? On which service was SOUTHERN PRINCE (1970 transferred to RML)?
Thanks for any information you might have.

;Dick Gorter
Netherlands
They Sailed with Buff Yellow coulour AS rms pACIFIC ENVOY NAMED Lock Ryan
Old 31st March 2011, 17:27
Active: 1967 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampas View Post
Joined RML 1962 and served for 6 on Lock Gowan,Ben Blyth was the freezer and had a good voice and most attentive female company, in those days his profile was almost simular to the Capstan ciggie emblem,blown up full size head in the smoke room .all the girls thought it was him in the flesh. The Andes being my last ship with RML hard working keeping all the electrical staff very busy. Now permenently retired but still dream of the good and bad timezss. Gordon Paul
Gordon Paul. Hi Matey Did you sail on Loch Ryan? If you did i was Second Electrician along side you. Relived Jim Downie. Heard you finished on Shell Tankers? Am retired and living in Ohio USA.
Good site this SN. Met other engineers from long past.
Mike charters
Old 31st March 2011, 18:36

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael charters View Post
They Sailed with Buff Yellow coulour AS rms pACIFIC ENVOY NAMED Lock Ryan
That's what I remember, too, they kept the somewhat yellow funnels.
Old 31st March 2011, 20:20

Hi, I was the Assistant 'Chippy' on the Amazon in the early 60s. She also carried a Plumber and Assistant, good news for us ! The thought of 'Sanisnakes' and blocked toilets still makes me heave !! The 'A' boats were fitted with stabilisers that tended to give them less roll but didn't stop the pitching movement. Great times spent down on the South American coast well remembered.
Regards,
Robin.
Old 1st April 2011, 08:34
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Durango

Does anyone remember the old bosun aboard Durango he was in her for years he used to build ships in bottles his name was as far as I remember Fred Walden great old boy best wishes to all hands Dave .
Old 17th April 2012, 21:20
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1961 - 1982

wrt Dickyboy #28: I rock-dodged in the Loch Gowan c.winter '65 as R/O. Your reference Plenty of Camp catering staff in their posh frocks. struck a chord. I don't know if it this happened when I joined her in London or if it was in Hamburg a few days later. Having dinner I felt there was something unusual about the stewards, something distracting. They were very smart, accommodating and efficient waiters but there was something about their appearance that didn't seem right. Then I realised it was their hair , it seemed odd.
I was going ashore after dinner with the writer and while I was making my way down the accommodation to meet him I passed the saloon. As I did the door opened and two of the stewards came out both weighed down with make-up and wearing low cut, full-skirted colourful frocks. Their hair was back-combed and brushed up in the 60s bouffant style reminiscent of Dusty Springfield et al.
I have never forgotten this dramatic revelation.
Old 2nd October 2012, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham P Powell View Post
RML don't seem to be listed in the shipping companies so perhaps I had
better start the ball rolling!. I was 3rd R/O on Amazon /GVVV
and Aragon/GVVT. I remember the Aragon was under the command of
Captain Fox. The 2nd R/O Jack Barter later was killed on the
Royston Grange/GFDU. I can remember a Chief Purser called Stroud
and another purser called Nigel Yeo. After that things get a bit
fuzzy!. Had lots of wonderful times in Buenos Aires.
Brings back many memories. Thy later transferred the RML A ships
to Shaw Savill. I have a picture of one converted to a hideous car
carrier.
Hi All,
I am looking for a John Wrake, a great uncle, who served in The Royal Mail Line until the early 1950's, I believe he was in the Alcantara in the war but can find no trace from 1947 to 1950 when he was a Master and had hoped to take command of the Andes but did not get it. Any snippits would be useful.

Thanks