Mv Tuscany - Ships Nostalgia
16:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mv Tuscany

User Tag List

Old 20th July 2009, 19:45

Mv Tuscany

Has anyone sailed on the TUSCANY? I sailed on her from Sept/Nov1965 and can't remember where we went. I'd appreciate any info on her. Stan Greening/Montrose/Scotland
Old 20th July 2009, 20:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1985

My location
Hi Stan, don’t know if you’ve seen these photos, click on the forward button at the top of the photoship one for more pics
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...p?photo=161702
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuil...ip.asp?id=6441
http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/photos/R_MAIL48.jpg
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...uscany-01.html

Last edited by ian d.cameron; 20th July 2009 at 20:50.. Reason: add info
Old 20th July 2009, 20:58

Tuscany

Fine photographs as in previous reply.
Various trade routes but mainly the Spanish Main - West Indies Caribbean and South America
Old 20th July 2009, 23:37

Great storm photo Ian thanks.
Stan
Old 15th November 2012, 20:59

MV Tuscany

Hi Heathen Scot, if you mean Tuscany of Royal Mail PSNC then yes I sailed on her circa 1968 , not home currently will post again if this is the ship. I have photos of her aground, iced in in the St Lawrence- Cheers
Old 16th November 2012, 10:45
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1958 - 1975

I was on the Tuscany June 63 to Sept 63 as R/O. Liverpool to West Indies, West coast S America as far as San Antonio Chile and back to Liverpool. The Old Man was Capt Wheatley
Old 16th November 2012, 14:07
Wee John

My location
Sailed on her when Denhoms took her over as the Federal Hudson in 1970. Great ship and a great trip, went above 40 north. Fond memories.
Old 28th December 2012, 19:20
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggs View Post
Hi Heathen Scot, if you mean Tuscany of Royal Mail PSNC then yes I sailed on her circa 1968 , not home currently will post again if this is the ship. I have photos of her aground, iced in in the St Lawrence- Cheers
I was also on this ship at this time so would be really interested to see any photographs you may have, if I remember rightly we were stuck in the ice for 2 weeks with a further 6 weeks in dry dock in quebec.
I also sailed on the next voyage to warmer climbs in the Caribbean.
Old 28th March 2014, 21:35
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1995

Cool Tuscany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Adkins View Post
I was on the Tuscany June 63 to Sept 63 as R/O. Liverpool to West Indies, West coast S America as far as San Antonio Chile and back to Liverpool. The Old Man was Capt Wheatley
I did one trip as A/B. on her in June 1958. The usual voyage to the West Indies. Had some good run ashores,and a good crowd of lads.
Any one else sail on her at that time?. I would like to hear from them.
Old 29th March 2014, 19:41

Hi lads i have a photo of her with her bow caved in she must have hit the wall some where and had temp repairs done so she could conpleate her trip.She came to Hull to discharge part cargo and then sailed to london last port of call. I think she was repaired there. Will post the photo when i come accross it sam2182sw
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:46
Active: 1965 - 1969

MV Tuscany

Its been such a long time for me and I suppose a lot of you guys out there as well, so delving into my old papers I came across a diary I kept on our voyage to Canada in 1967-8.
And my record shows that the ship ran aground at 9.30 on the 10th of Jan, the 13th we worked down the hold being paid 2 dollars an hour to shift several hundred tons of asbestos from one side of the ship to the other hoping that this would free us, a salvage boat arrived on the14th and after two days work and also with two tugs close by was unable to move us to safety.
On the 23rd Jan a helicopter landed on the ice next to the ship to replenish some of supplies that we were running low on.

It was not until Jan24th that we were finally brought to quebec by a very large ice breaker after having been stuck in the ice for 15 days.We spent 6 weeks in dry dock before resuming our journey home still having trouble getting through the ice in the Belle Isle straits having further assistance from a ice breaker on the 9th of March.
We arrived back home 21st March 1968.

Thankfully our next trip was to the Caribbean to thaw out.
Old 19th October 2014, 01:49
Active: 1959 - 1962

m.v. tuscany

i was an engineer on the tuscany on a voyage depart liverpool 23-11-60. some weeks later while leaving santos brazil, we were in collision with the turbo electric ship loide chile. we 'tee boned' the loide-chile amidships.tuscany was badly damaged on the bow while the loide-chile was holed below the water line in the engine room and sustained substantial damage to the bridge and superstructure.and unfortunately the radio operator was killed. i don't know what happened to the lloide-chile after that. the tuscany was moved to a disused wharf on santos bay for temporary repairs. the only land access to this wharf was a narrow path through the jungle to the nearest road about a mile away,so all the workers and materials were brought in by barge. the repair consisted of welding steel plates around the bow and then reinforcing this by pouring many tons of concrete in the chain locker, over 100 tons i think. i have some photos. have to figure out how to send them. k.r.