Kuwait Shipping or UASC - Ships Nostalgia
06:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Kuwait Shipping or UASC

User Tag List

Old 22nd September 2005, 14:27

Kuwait Shipping or UASC

Hi any one remember the little russion ships or the K class boats ?
Old 29th September 2005, 09:59

My location
Sailed on quite a few K Class and even did 6 Months on the Ibn Al-Haitham whilst she was caught up in the Iran Iraq War. Being at anchor off Umm Qasr for that length of time is no fun for a deep sea laddie however we were on a War Bonus so that made it bearable.......................pete
Old 3rd October 2005, 20:20

Joined KSC in 1975 and sailed on russian built Feodosia and Behsitza class. Took the first "K" Class Al Mubarakiah from Goven as C/E. Came ashore with KSC thence UASC and spent 5 years in Liverpool office and 9 years in Kuwait. Ended up as Technical Manager. Would love to hear from any of guys who sailed with them. In its heyday it was a great company.
Old 24th November 2005, 17:52

Al Mubarakiah

You must be Tom (Brian) Bailey from the north east you sailed as 2/E myself Dave Myers and George Witham were your two juniors.

Previously you were with Runcimans I think on the Scorton. am I right. If I am I have a picture of you in Port Louis On the Al Kadisiah

Dave Myers
Old 24th November 2005, 20:09

Kuwait Shipping Company

Do you recall Jack (?) Duncan, eng supt.?
Old 24th November 2005, 20:15

Kuwait Shpg Co.

Spent a couple of months out at Hyundai in Korea installing the stern glands, did they do OK?
Others there in the Forgeignrs Hotel (sic) were (?) Richardson and a lad from Belfast, both installing the H&W and Kincaid engines, also Archie(?) Kelly from Hasties steering gear. An experience never forgotten and never to be repeated.
Old 24th November 2005, 20:35

Hi Tom

I was Agent at Tilbury together with Pete McAuliffe when the K class came on line, remember those as good days, don't see many posts from crew from
UASC or Kuwait Shipping nor do we see too many old faces in Tilbury.

Still give some work to Terry Smith who was with Dave Martin
Old 29th November 2005, 11:00
Gunther

Hello everybody,

Have worked as stevedoring agent with K Class ships in Santos/Brazil, however at this time british people were gone, vessels beeing under indian/paquistan command. We loaded steel products in Argentina and most breakbulk in Brazil. Cntrs were loaded on 2/5 hatches on top of boards and lashed with chains, twistlock shoes available only on 3/4 hatches. Have heard some stories regarding "FATHULKHAIR" considered an unlucky ship. Remember she collided and sunk "ONIBE" around South Africa.
Sad to know that there are few ships still trading.

Chers,
Junior
Old 2nd December 2005, 11:27

Tom Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by myers
You must be Tom (Brian) Bailey from the north east you sailed as 2/E myself Dave Myers and George Witham were your two juniors.

Previously you were with Runcimans I think on the Scorton. am I right. If I am I have a picture of you in Port Louis On the Al Kadisiah

Dave Myers
Dave
Nice to hear from you. I did reply to your e-mail. I am now retired and living on the Wirral. We moved down here mid 70;s when i came ashore with KSC.

Interested to see the photo, happy days going to Mauritius, we have toyed with the idea of going there for a holiday. Maybe
Keep in touch
Old 2nd December 2005, 11:30

Tom Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjones
Hi Tom

I was Agent at Tilbury together with Pete McAuliffe when the K class came on line, remember those as good days, don't see many posts from crew from

Bob
Nice to hear from you after all this time. I also do not see too many old faces from KSC-UASC days.
I keep in touch with Malcolm Hedley, he lives in New York working for OSG.
How about you, what are you doing these days? and Terry.
Best regards
Tom
Old 2nd December 2005, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by japottinger
Spent a couple of months out at Hyundai in Korea installing the stern glands, did they do OK?
Others there in the Forgeignrs Hotel (sic) were (?) Richardson and a lad from Belfast, both installing the H&W and Kincaid engines, also Archie(?) Kelly from Hasties steering gear. An experience never forgotten and never to be repeated.
Jack was my boss for many years, he died way back 1978??

Yes I remember the seals very well. They gave us some hairy moments and unforseen drydockings. Eventually the outboards were changed.

Don,t know if you have ever been back to Hyundai in recent years, I have spent some considerable time there and it is quite amazing, the size,the output of ships and engines and the quality.
You would be out there with Maurice Hennon, electrician from KSC(UASC)
he is still working out there!!

Nice to hear from you.
Regards
Old 3rd December 2005, 12:04

Hello Tom, thanks for coming back.
Re glands, just as I feared!
They were very much a Jack Duncan baby.
Will post a few shots of Hyundai taken when there, even then was an amazing place. They lifted the B&W's in to the ship in one piece after building on the dockside, the Kincaids lad only agreed to this by putting strain gauges between the crank webs over night to check any deflection in the morning, when we came to check all the gauges were gone, the Koreans said, Oh we could not leave them there as they would be pinched! Anyway the engines were loaded in one piece, Hyundai said why have double 300 ton cranes if we cannot use them.
After a week I had to get a bike as was knackered walking all around the yard, had to put a 1,000 WON deposit on it too. Food in the "hotel" was terrible, esp. the kimchi, cabbage buried for about a month then dug up and cooked, least thats is what it tasted like, hot water went off at 1800 hrs etc etc. All my phone call to home office were tapped and when I left I had a suitcase of letters to post from the lads (a few had gone native!)there, apparently the stamps had a fatal attaction and were removed after posting!
Regards,
Jim
Old 7th February 2006, 18:13

Hello, Steve Mills here.

I am really getting into this site..great for a chin wag and sharing information and old yarns.

I joined UASC from Common Brothers in 1978. I must say I really enjoyed my time with them.

I was damned lucky though. I handed my notice in in 1983 to come ashore (managed to join the Fire Service and am retiring this year) and three months later they changed to Asian officers and got rid of the likes of me.

I will have to go up the loft to dig out my discharge certificates for a run-down of the ships I sailed on. The last one was the container vessel 'Dubai'. I joined her at Hyundai's in Ulsan.

I always managed to get a raging stomach bug while I was there as I also joined the 'Barzan' afew years earlier.

Should be able to post a few pics in the next few days.

All the best.
Old 8th February 2006, 04:23

My location
1970, on the "Kuwait Horizon" or "Dawn Of Kuwait", I knew a Spanish R/O who spoke excellent English called "Lolo", which I thought only meant grandpa, but I found out later it's short for Manuel or some other name that starts with an M. He was actually in his twenties, and was called up for one year military service, and we lost contact. Anyone ever know this guy?
Old 22nd September 2007, 23:03

My location
Ibn Al Haitham

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Sailed on quite a few K Class and even did 6 Months on the Ibn Al-Haitham whilst she was caught up in the Iran Iraq War. Being at anchor off Umm Qasr for that length of time is no fun for a deep sea laddie however we were on a War Bonus so that made it bearable.......................pete
I left Ibn Al Haitham in Kuwait 9/80 and a few days before she proceeded to Basrah and her fate. I was always fairly lucky like that; I left the Ibn Rushd before her grounding in Taiwan as well, and another (Ibn Sina maybe?) in Lisbon before she either grounded or had a collision in the Elbe.... I think. (I recall a comment made that it's fine to sail with him - just make sure you pay off when he does!!) Ibn Al Haitham was a happy ship - Capt. Wilkinson will forever stay in my memories! He was quite a character. I enjoyed my few years with UASC 79-84 after which I came ashore. Really I saw the end of the MN as we all knew it.
PS I believe one of the Russian built ships was caught up there with the Haitham?
Old 23rd September 2007, 15:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
Does anyone remember Bill Sadler from the USAC Liverpool office, Personnel Dept. He bailed out from Moss Hutchinson shortly after P & O`s mass desecration of all the individual shppg companies.
David

Last edited by David Wilcockson; 23rd September 2007 at 22:25..
Old 23rd September 2007, 16:39
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wilcockson View Post
Does anyone remember Bill Sadler from the Liverpool office, Personnel Dept. He bailed out from Moss Hutchinson shortly after P & O`s mass desecration of all the individual shppg companies.
David
remember Bill Saddler from my Moss Hutchison days 67-70 - also a George Roberts??
rgds
Alistair
Old 6th January 2008, 21:54

My location
Memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjones View Post
Hi Tom

Bob; Drifting through the site (the archives actually) I realise yours is a very familiar name - ED's, Palm and One UASC (Addiriyah) saw me in Tilbury. Your familiar figure would always be there when we arrived, with mail and money to pay off! See my posting under other Companies/Ships entitled UASC - am trying to get pictures of ships I sailed in in UASC. Have only found one out of nine. Seems as though you may be the right person to ask. Are you still in Tilbury?
Best regards,
Howard
Old 7th January 2008, 20:24

Had a drink with Bill Sadler couple of weeks ago in Liverpool. He was looking well although he did tell me he was battlling cancer unfortunately.
Bill was the last representative of UASC in Liverpool. A great chap and gentleman.
Old 7th January 2008, 21:08

Does the name Blundell ring any bells? Ch.Eng in UASC 70s if memory serves me right.
Old 7th January 2008, 21:48
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
Does the name Blundell ring any bells? Ch.Eng in UASC 70s if memory serves me right.

Ding Dong.
Do you mean 'Gil' Blundell? He was Chief Engineer when I sailed with him on Al Ahmadiah in 1972. Nice bloke.

Steve

Last edited by Moulder; 8th January 2008 at 21:01..
Old 8th January 2008, 16:29

Gil Blundel. Sailed with him on Al Kadasiah 1968 I was 2/Eng. Gil was doing his first trip C/Eng.
He was then Superintendent whilst I was Chief on the 1st Al Mubarakiah we spent some 8 weeks in Hamburg at MAN Engine works. Great time. Gil was a really nice bloke, he left soon after (for whatever reason?) and I often wondered what became of him.
Old 8th January 2008, 17:37

That's the man! From Formby I think. He was 2nd Engineer with me in 77. I think it was his first trip FOC (ex Silver Marine).
Old 8th January 2008, 19:30

I remember he was ex Cunard on the intermediate vessels. He was from Formby.
Old 8th January 2008, 19:51

A few more names who I met in Jebel Dhanna although they were not tankers men. Ishak Kazi and Osama Masri both Yemeni and both ex BF. They were working for ADCO on the SBMs