Sugar Line - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
01:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sugar Line

User Tag List

Old 2nd April 2014, 14:51
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1979

Exporter

Hi George.
There must have been lots of ships like the Exporter,and I'm sure a
lot of them were Foreign Flags,I certainly did not see a bad ship again
but I suppose you have to keep an open mind about bad ships and
probably a lot of good times were had on ships of that ilk.
My time at sea was very good and I have a lot of good memories,
But it was nice on leaving to come ashore to be home at night.
Kind Regards.
Keith.
Old 29th September 2014, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bis View Post
Sorry that last was rather brief. If I remember the Old Man was Chris Davies, the 2nd. Mate was Mr.McConvill , the Chief and the others were who you said.
She had a Cape Verde deck crew.
I was only on her one trip as I was phoned at home to stand in for someone else. It was for me an enjoyable enough trip with, if I remember were smooth seas. Actually I stayed some time (until 1979) with Sugar Lines and really enjoyed it
Chris Davies was my dad and me and my sister did a voyage from Silvertown to Trinidad in the summer of that year, I remember the second mates name being Ken Crow! I Remeber when we got to Trinidad we sailed up a river and docked by some old big wharehouse any idea which river this would have been?
Old 30th September 2014, 08:02
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Davies View Post
Chris Davies was my dad and me and my sister did a voyage from Silvertown to Trinidad in the summer of that year, I remember the second mates name being Ken Crow! I Remeber when we got to Trinidad we sailed up a river and docked by some old big wharehouse any idea which river this would have been?
In my time we always went to Point Lisas for sugar when we went to Trinidad. If I remember it was south of Port of Spain and shipped sugar and ammonia(nice mix)
I enjoyed sailing with Chris. He was well thought off.
Where did he get too after Sugar Line?

Last edited by George Bis; 30th September 2014 at 08:49..
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:11

Hi George, thanks for your reply so much for my memory as a kid I had a look at Point Lisas on Google Earth more of a lagoon than a river eh! So my dads still about living in Swansea...not up to much nowadays after giving up the tobacco and hard drink. Anyway I thought you might be interested in the following videos I found on youtube you can follow the links https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAOUqGayL2c also in this second one I think my dad appears about half way through.... im sure you will spot people you know! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09FyK4jgiag
Old 4th November 2014, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Davies View Post
Hi George, thanks for your reply so much for my memory as a kid I had a look at Point Lisas on Google Earth more of a lagoon than a river eh! So my dads still about living in Swansea...not up to much nowadays after giving up the tobacco and hard drink. Anyway I thought you might be interested in the following videos I found on youtube you can follow the links https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAOUqGayL2c also in this second one I think my dad appears about half way through.... im sure you will spot people you know! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09FyK4jgiag
Thanks Tim,
I agree lagoon describes Point Lisas well. I believe it is hand made and in the 1970's had a wharf with a fixed loader(we had to move the ship every time we changed holds) and also a manifold to load liquid ammonia into tankers. Regards to Chris and tell him that George Bisacre sends his regards. I will watch the videos.
Old 4th November 2014, 13:10

Hi Tim,

Brilliant little films, was on the Producer in 76 and the Refiner in 78, the Officer with the beard looks like the Mate of the two above ships when I sailed on them.
Happy days, great little company.

Best Regards

Yuge.
Old 4th November 2014, 15:30

Quote:
Thanks Tim,
I agree lagoon describes Point Lisas well. I believe it is hand made and in the 1970's had a wharf with a fixed loader(we had to move the ship every time we changed holds) and also a manifold to load liquid ammonia into tankers. Regards to Chris and tell him that George Bisacre sends his regards. I will watch the videos.
Have now watched the videos and will watch them again. Felt really strange to be "on board" the Sugar Producer after all this time.
I was on her as 3/M in 1972 when we did a trip to Jamaica i.e. Savana le Mar and Salt River. Discharged in London and then Point Lisas, Trinidad to London. I pay'd off in Shields.

The second time on her was in 1979. Joined as 3rd.Mate and promoted 2nd.Mate after two weeks. We went up the Great Lakes with steel from Middlesbrough then a back load of coke breeze for Immingham Then off to Port Cartier on the St Laurence, Canada and loaded iron ore for Glasgow.
Tate & Lyle sold all their ships at that point and the "Sugar Producer" became the "Cape Avanti Due" of Liberia with Greek owners
Old 6th November 2014, 16:46

Quote:
Thanks Tim,
Amazing to see people that I knew 40 years ago. As well as the Captain I am 90% sure the Pilot was Captain Richardson and the helmsman Ron Butcher or Butler. He was Mud Pilot and the two of them did all the Sugar Line berthing in my time. The 3/M with the beard seems vaguely familiar but I can put a name too him.
Thanks for all this and sorry to be vague with names. It is a long time ago.
Old 8th November 2014, 11:16
Active: 1955 - 1999

Quote:
Amazing to see people that I knew 40 years ago. As well as the Captain I am 90% sure the Pilot was Captain Richardson and the helmsman Ron Butcher or Butler. He was Mud Pilot and the two of them did all the Sugar Line berthing in my time. The 3/M with the beard seems vaguely familiar but I can put a name too him.
Thanks for all this and sorry to be vague with names. It is a long time ago.
hi George I left sugar line 1972. the mud pilot was certainly ron butcher and the pilot was (allowing for42 years of brain cell fatigue)the choice pilot, stafford miller
Old 8th November 2014, 19:40
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Who`s the Old Man,is it Leaver?
Old 9th November 2014, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuckham View Post
hi George I left sugar line 1972. the mud pilot was certainly ron butcher and the pilot was (allowing for42 years of brain cell fatigue)the choice pilot, stafford miller
You could be correct. I joined Sugar Line in June 1972 and Captain Richardson was the choice pilot whenever I was on the Thames and always worked with Ron. Never heard of any others but perhaps I stand corrected.
Old 18th November 2014, 11:10

I sailed on the Exporter joined in 1966 first trip Silvertown to Tampa loaded with Phosphates then through the Panama canal to Australia. Discharged in Cairns then down to Newcastle then upto Bundaberg and Mackay for sugar and a run home.
next time Silvertown to Corpus Christi Texas for grain, down to Port of Spain to Bunker across to Cape town then Durban and Lourenco Marques to bunker and a cross to Discharge in Kandla in India. return trip much the same. Back to the UK discharged in Silvertown the up to South shields for dry dock. Paid off.
Old 19th November 2014, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan ward View Post
Who`s the Old Man,is it Leaver?
We think it is Chris Davies. Sounds awful to be so vague as I sailed with both but I am poor on faces and it is 40 years!
Old 19th November 2014, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by french47 View Post
I sailed on the Exporter joined in 1966 first trip Silvertown to Tampa loaded with Phosphates then through the Panama canal to Australia. Discharged in Cairns then down to Newcastle then upto Bundaberg and Mackay for sugar and a run home.
next time Silvertown to Corpus Christi Texas for grain, down to Port of Spain to Bunker across to Cape town then Durban and Lourenco Marques to bunker and a cross to Discharge in Kandla in India. return trip much the same. Back to the UK discharged in Silvertown the up to South shields for dry dock. Paid off.
You seem to have a merry trip on her. I visited Kandla on the "Importer" played a cricket match against the local customs officials. We only had one bat after the Lecky hit the ball too hard and that was the high spot of our visit.
Old 19th November 2014, 13:27

Hi George, we played football on an estate of flats, It was a hard game and I don't remember who won. When we left we got bricks and bottles thrown at us. Also half the ships crew went down with gippo guts due to shore made ice that we had used to cool beer cans.
Old 19th November 2014, 15:14

Quote:
We think it is Chris Davies. Sounds awful to be so vague as I sailed with both but I am poor on faces and it is 40 years!
He just looked familiar,Leaver was so short he always made me sit down in his company or else he remained seated.He once said `I don`t know what`s wrong with the officers on this ship,all they do is play crib and drink rum`
Old 22nd November 2014, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by french47 View Post
Hi George, we played football on an estate of flats, It was a hard game and I don't remember who won. When we left we got bricks and bottles thrown at us. Also half the ships crew went down with gippo guts due to shore made ice that we had used to cool beer cans.
Not a spot for holidays! The people (crowds gathered) were actually quite friendly at the cricket match and we adapted to the circumstances as best we could (only one set of bales)
To prevent a rout the umpires called "no ball" whenever one of us was out.
Old 22nd November 2014, 10:38

Quote:
He just looked familiar,Leaver was so short he always made me sit down in his company or else he remained seated.He once said `I don`t know what`s wrong with the officers on this ship,all they do is play crib and drink rum`
Sounds like Jef Leaver. Sailed with him twice (Crystal & Carrier) and got on o.k. though he had his ways. Far as I know he was never on the "Producer" What was the name of the Catering Super.?
Old 23rd November 2014, 12:26

Quote:
Sounds like Jef Leaver. Sailed with him twice (Crystal & Carrier) and got on o.k. though he had his ways. Far as I know he was never on the "Producer" What was the name of the Catering Super.?
I can`t remember the supers name,Leaver and I just did not get along at all.One evening I was in my cabin when the Electrician,who ran the officers bar,asked me for a keg of lager which I supplied.Next morning he and I were summoned by the OM,apparantly he`d closed the bar due to misbehaviour and had the keg in use removed and locked away somewhere and thought I`d known about this and deliberately thwarted him.My protestations of innocence fell on deaf ears and he went mental.Our relationship was fragile already as I resented his interference in every aspect of my running of the department.An EDH injured himself and required medical attention,Leaver turned up as I was cleaning the wound,looked at the damage,got very excited and disappeared, when he returned he`d donned the white cotton top from his uniform cap as a makeshift surgical hat and seemed surprised and very angry that I didn`t have all the equipment for suturing ready to hand.I pointed out that he hadn`t asked me to do so before retiring and that calmed him a little,but he was still displeased.It was not easy to keep a straight face when confronted by a man looking like an enraged Belgian dwarf baker.I was not asked back next trip.
Old 25th November 2014, 08:00

[QUOTE=alan ward;1153202]I can`t remember the supers name,Leaver and I just did not get along at all.One evening I was in my cabin when the Electrician,who ran the officers bar,asked me for a keg of lager which I supplied.Next morning he and I were summoned by the OM,apparantly he`d closed the bar due to misbehaviour and had the keg in use removed and locked away somewhere and thought I`d known about this and deliberately thwarted him.My protestations of innocence fell on deaf ears and he went mental.Our relationship was fragile already as I resented his interference in every aspect of my running of the department.An EDH injured himself and required medical attention,Leaver turned up as I was cleaning the wound,looked at the damage,got very excited and disappeared, when he returned he`d donned the white cotton top from his uniform cap as a makeshift surgical hat and seemed surprised and very angry that I didn`t have all the equipment for suturing ready to hand.I pointed out that he hadn`t asked me to do so before retiring and that calmed him a little,but he was still displeased.It was not easy to keep a straight face when confronted by a man looking like an enraged Belgian dwarf baker.I was not asked back next trip.[/QUOTE
Old 25th November 2014, 08:09

[QUOTE=George Bis;1155210]
Quote:
I can`t remember the supers name,Leaver and I just did not get along at all.One evening I was in my cabin when the Electrician,who ran the officers bar,asked me for a keg of lager which I supplied.Next morning he and I were summoned by the OM,apparantly he`d closed the bar due to misbehaviour and had the keg in use removed and locked away somewhere and thought I`d known about this and deliberately thwarted him.My protestations of innocence fell on deaf ears and he went mental.Our relationship was fragile already as I resented his interference in every aspect of my running of the department.An EDH injured himself and required medical attention,Leaver turned up as I was cleaning the wound,looked at the damage,got very excited and disappeared, when he returned he`d donned the white cotton top from his uniform cap as a makeshift surgical hat and seemed surprised and very angry that I didn`t have all the equipment for suturing ready to hand.I pointed out that he hadn`t asked me to do so before retiring and that calmed him a little,but he was still displeased.It was not easy to keep a straight face when confronted by a man looking like an enraged Belgian dwarf baker.I was not asked back next trip.[/QUOTE
The mind boggles! I suppose I used a certain amount of selective hearing with him but only about once did I have a real argument with him. The rest of the time he just let me get on with what I was doing and personally there were no complaints. Which ship was this on?
Old 26th November 2014, 11:29

Sugar Crystal July to December 1972,Silvertown to Sorel Quebec for pig iron then through Panama to the Japanese coast,Australia for sugar then round the Cape home.He spent 4 months in a permanent strop,everything and anything would send him off on one.Not a happy bloke.
Old 27th November 2014, 08:39

Quote:
Sugar Crystal July to December 1972,Silvertown to Sorel Quebec for pig iron then through Panama to the Japanese coast,Australia for sugar then round the Cape home.He spent 4 months in a permanent strop,everything and anything would send him off on one.Not a happy bloke.
Not a bad run although you certainly had trials. The thought of the "floating operating theatre" amused me greatly.
On a more general thought when I retired I hunted out all my old ships on the internet and as they were mostly sold abroad it was really interesting to see what had happened to them. It would be just as interesting to find out what happened too the people.
Old 27th November 2014, 11:04

On another occasion a 4th.Engineer was working on a job down below and the spanner he was using`kicked back`forcing it apparantly up against something,through his palm and out the back of his hand a bit.The OM came down to inspect the damage, after I`d cleaned off most of the grease and blood he decided that as infection was a real problem he would clean the wound right through,and set to work.To the 4th`s great discomfort he tried and tried to get a piece of lint through the wound with increasing frustration until he discovered that it wasn`t a through and through but two wounds,a deep one in the palm and another less serious on the back of his hand.No apology or f**k all he just knobbed off.
Old 28th November 2014, 14:38

Quote:
On another occasion a 4th.Engineer was working on a job down below and the spanner he was using`kicked back`forcing it apparantly up against something,through his palm and out the back of his hand a bit.The OM came down to inspect the damage, after I`d cleaned off most of the grease and blood he decided that as infection was a real problem he would clean the wound right through,and set to work.To the 4th`s great discomfort he tried and tried to get a piece of lint through the wound with increasing frustration until he discovered that it wasn`t a through and through but two wounds,a deep one in the palm and another less serious on the back of his hand.No apology or f**k all he just knobbed off.
The 4th.Engineer was not Nigel Copps by any chance? Talk about "Dr Quack!" Fortunately when I sailed with him I can not remember any medical issues and if I remember correctly it was "The Ship Captains Medical Guide" in those days. I did the 5 day's medical course myself but happily never had to put it into practice. Would have loved to have been the fly on the bulkhead.
By the way as I joined the "Crystal" in Feb. 1973 so didn't miss you by much and I suppose Leaver re joined her after his leave.