Canadian Pacific - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
08:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Canadian Pacific

User Tag List

Old 13th November 2014, 13:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

I`d been working as an Assistant Purser/Catering Officer with Clan for over two years and was becoming impatient with the wait for promotion so started casting my net looking for a berth with another company.Interviews with LOF and CP saw me in London for the day,my afternoon interview with CP in Trafalgar Square was an eye opener in just how slow witted I truly was.The Catering Superintendent who was interviewing me was studying my Discharge Book`Aaaah I see you were in the galley on the Empress of England when I was in charge of the department`instead of immediately replying`Of course I remember you`I told him that was news to me as I never saw a purser actually in the galley! I didn`t get a job,surprise that isn`t it?
Old 15th January 2015, 00:36

shaw savill, canadian pacific and ellerman associated lines

Just going through my late Dads paperwork and have found his sea records. Would love to hear from anyone who sailed on the following ships from 1953 to 1957

PERSIC
AKAROA
BEAVERLODGE
EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA
CROSBIAN
Old 5th September 2015, 03:29
Keith Adams
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 2011

My location
hello Queen, A bit late with this but will help you locate one of the photos you may like to have ... The "Empress of Australia" was actually the "De Grasse" and an emergency charter (CP manned) to temporarily replace the burned out, overturned "Empress of Canada" ... She was way too slow and couldn't keep schedule so only made a few voyages ... really quaint vessel with a counter stern ... Would have liked to have made a trip on her. Keith akaSnowy
Old 18th September 2015, 17:06
Department: Engineering
Active: 1953 - 1960

Cp Ships Deep Sea

Completed Two Trips On The Beaverlake One As Engine Room Peggy And Then As A Wiper.

Later Joined The Beaverburn For Two Trips As A Wiper.

First Class Feeders And Great Runs Ashore, Apart, From St John In The Winter A Good Start For A First Tripper.

This Was Circa 1953-1955.

Would Be Pleased To Hear From Old Hands I Am Now 83 This Year.

John Nic
Old 23rd September 2015, 17:40

During the 1950s the Canadian Department of Defense chartered a number of old- timers from Cunard, Canadian Pacific and Greek Lines, for the rotation of our NATO Canadian Infantry Brigade Group in Germany. This was done through the Waalhaven in Rotterdam, where I spent two months on temporary duty Sep-Nov 1955. Among the ships scheduled to arrive was one Empress of Australia, which I awaited with interest, as I had sailed in the old ex-Tirpitz E0fA, and thought she might still be in service. It was the de Grasse mentioned above. Another interesting ship was the Queen Fredericka, an ex-Matson liner. Two years later, my wife, my baby daughter and I boarded the old Scythia, bound for Halifax and her last crossing. The Scythis's bell is in the museum at Camp Borden, Ontario.
Old 28th August 2016, 13:40
Department: Electrician
Active: 1964 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Bray View Post
Have not seen any reference to CP on this site, I sailed on the Beaverboats from 1965 to 1970. Looking for anyone who sailed at that time. Sailed on Beaverelm, Beaverash, Beaverpine, Lord Strathcona, and Pacific Logger.
Had some great times, met some great people.
Geoff Bray
Hi,
I sailed as electrician on the "England",Beavers Ash, Pine and Elm,Lord Strathcona in the 60s.
The Beaver boats in particular had some great characters.I cant remember many of the names.Capt.Brian Brown C/E Peter Rogers spring to mind.
Old 8th December 2016, 03:11

If anyone remembers Planet Lightship Liverpool and the lightship across the pond from the transatlantic Empress days you may be interested in the write up of the saga and photos on the site set up through 33degrees Return Liverpools Planet Lightship. She was removed from docks by CRA and towed away and is being auctioned 16th Dec for scrap probably, despite being in fairly good condition. There are links on site re various Liverpool Echo article. Petition started 15th Dec and has over 500 entries. They are trying to get the local MP and chair of CRA to get her returned. I was emailed by am ex R/O from Liverpool a couple of days ago and a group of ex R/Os who had a radio station on her are trying to spread the word around as she was the last working lightship in Britain and part of Britain's maritime heritage.
Old 8th December 2016, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Adams View Post
hello Queen, A bit late with this but will help you locate one of the photos you may like to have ... The "Empress of Australia" was actually the "De Grasse" and an emergency charter (CP manned) to temporarily replace the burned out, overturned "Empress of Canada" ... She was way too slow and couldn't keep schedule so only made a few voyages ... really quaint vessel with a counter stern ... Would have liked to have made a trip on her. Keith akaSnowy
Keith When the Empress of Australia was going thro the pool looking for crew especially for deck crowd lads used to say ""keep of the grass",a typical scouse interpretation of her previous French name I never sailed on her but those who did had little good to say of her.
Old 29th April 2017, 14:02

Hello, I'm writing a book on my time at sea. I was looking to create a web-site with pictures of each ship (19 of them), but I'm having trouble finding a picture of the FORT PROVIDENCE. I sailed with CP in the mid 80's, FORT KIPP, HAWKESBURY, EMERSON, HAMILTON, PROVIDENCE, BEATTY & FORT ROUGE. Does anyone have any good pics of these ships, but especially the FORT PROVIDENCE, which I can't find anywhere online?
Old 6th February 2019, 01:52

My location
I sailed with 'Aussie' McGrail in the late 60's/early 70's on the Voyageur and Discoverer - I liked him a lot - he was C/O and I 2nd/3rd.
Never knew why he was referred to as Aussie/Ozzie, as he wasnt Australian!
Old 6th February 2019, 04:14

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutsplice View Post
Austin McCrail master in CP for many years, retired in the 1990s, he crossed the bar possibly 18months ago. I have not read all through the CP messages so his passing may have previously been referred to, if so I apologise for for duplication. I seen him about four months prior to his passing he looked well told me he had a recent medical check and was told he was as fit as a 55yr old.
Therefore I was pretty shocked when I found he had crossed the bar.
I sailed with 'Aussie' McGrail in the late 60's/early 70's on the Voyageur and Discoverer - I liked him a lot - he was C/O and I 2nd/3rd.
Never knew why he was referred to as Aussie/Ozzie, as he wasnt Australian!
Old 6th February 2019, 08:42

idle thinking, with a beer and a memory or two=Remember Glen Campbell, and his song ''Canadian Pacific'', some song from my younger days? I cannot remember the era 60's 70's or even later
Old 6th February 2019, 21:49
Department: Electrician
Active: 1962 - 1978

David, it was George Hamilton the the fourth not Glen Campbell. It's on You tube if you want a reminder.
Old 7th February 2019, 08:35

cheers
Old 7th May 2019, 22:03
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1982

Because his name was Austin.