T.S Dolphin - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
06:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

T.S Dolphin

User Tag List

Old 20th May 2013, 09:08

Hi raymond .my dad was in the catering also . Im gonna post a group pic up later today..sharron scott
Old 20th May 2013, 10:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1972

any of you Dolphin lads know Joe Miller (catering ) from Stonieburn near Bathgate around late 50,s ????? sailed with him on Currie,s "Shetland for 9 months 1958 a good shipmate !!
Old 20th May 2013, 11:22

Hi from NZ, did Dolphin catering 56/57 crewmates I can remember John Slaven, Mungo Brown, Davie Maver, ? Bell?.
Old 21st May 2013, 06:44
Department: Purser
Active: 1957 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg grant View Post
Hi from NZ, did Dolphin catering 56/57 crewmates I can remember John Slaven, Mungo Brown, Davie Maver, ? Bell?.
I remember John Slaven and John Bell.I served with them on the Dolphin.John Bell was a chief steward same time as I was in BP late seventies.Heard not heard of him since.R.Hay
Old 25th May 2013, 06:40

Good one mate! You hung in the MN for a long time. I was gone by '66 for refusing a ship going out on the commie coast for two years. I get a bit crankie at the way these guys at the pool could play with your life and then bugger off home at five. Buckingham was one , can't remember the others. Anyway,long gone, thanks for your reply. And don't ask what I think about the N.U.S. that we all paid into for years. No one I know or have been in touch with got a penny back in superan.
Old 25th May 2013, 08:00
Department: Purser
Active: 1957 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharronscott40 View Post
Hi raymond .my dad was in the catering also . Im gonna post a group pic up later today..sharron scott
Havent seen any photo of your dad,Doubt if I will know him as the name does not ring any bell.Many thanks for your interest.Regards,Raymond Hay.
Old 25th May 2013, 14:12
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

TS Dolphin Leith

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderd View Post
I wonder if anyone did their training on the Dolphin in Leith. I was part of the group in the attached photo taken in 1955. If you are in the photo or attended the Dolphin about that time I'd love to hear from you.

Regards
Derek Blair
Derek,
The man in the back row third from the left is Bill Alexander. I think he was from Edinburgh. He was senior cadet when I shared a cabin with him on the Benwyvis in 1957. He could play a mean accordion. The fuzzy wuzzys in Port Sudan loved it when he sat in the tween deck playing Scots country dance music while they laboured loading two hundred weight bags of cottonseed.
Also on my intake was Laughton Johnston of Edinburgh (Ben Line)now retired in Shetland.
Ian Donaldson also Edinburgh (Ben Line I think) Last I heard of him many moons ago was he was living in Eyemouth.
Then there was somebody Lindsay also of Edinburgh.
The last person I can remember apart from Capt Tait and Ron Flockart was Simon Featherstonehaugh (pronounced Fanshawe).
My last paid work was as supervisor stevedore based in Hobart.
I'll dig out my old photos to see if I can recall any others. John Munroe
Old 30th May 2013, 04:11

Anyone Remember Ronnie Sommerford (Roy) from TS Dolphin around 1960/61. I sailed with him on the Salmela. He was killed here in NZ a long time ago and I am trying to find out anything I can about him to help his daughter now 43 years old who was a baby when he died and didn't know he was MN. I think he jumped here but what ship I don't know.
Old 30th May 2013, 05:57
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good afternoon thunder,18.april.2005.15:44.re:t.s.dolphin.i was never at ts dolphin,but I have been reading this old thread,it carries a lot of history for many members,to all those past young men.i say greetings.i hope the MN was to your liking.have a good day,regards ben27
Old 29th May 2016, 13:03
Active: 1963 - 2012

Only just found this site, its been really good reading all the past comments. I was at the Dolphin 10th Sept' 63 till 13th Dec'63 some of us got away a day early to catch the North Boat to Aberdeen. I think that I can remember Davy Thomson (Saltcoats) he was asking about a lad called Baggy who was quite good at boxing. I seem to remember being told that he was lost at sea on either 1st or 2nd trip during bad weather around Aussy / Tasmania. I joined a Shell tanker (Helcion)on 23/12/63 and was sea sick for my 1st week it was a good crew very sympathetic.
bfn Jack Moncrieff R792398
Old 29th May 2016, 15:38
Active: 1954 - 1967

Hi Jack: I paid off the Helcion at Shell Haven on 23 May '63, just 5 months prior to you joining her.

Keith
Old 29th May 2016, 16:14
Active: 1963 - 2012

The Helcion would be a coaster at todays standard.
bfn Jack
Old 30th May 2016, 13:39

I did pre-sea on Dolphin from August 1962, followed by 2 terms at the classroom in the Radar School, the tutor was Capt. Ovens. Mr. Flockhart on the Dolphin was Davy, a great Jamboree who I got to know really well from the late 70's till his passing, his son Colin was on the intake after me and I believe he still lives in South Africa where he was involved in marine survey and insurance.
I did all my tickets at Leith, coming across some of my fellow pupils from the Dolphin.
George Porteous
Old 3rd August 2016, 17:56
Active: 1950 - 1960

TS Dolphin

I did the catering boys course on the dolphin from 1950 to February 1951 and also my Cooks ticket approx. August 1954. Training stood me in good stead was Chief Steward by the time I was 21. Did 10 years at sea I am now in my 80s and remember these years as the happiest of my life. Never did sail with anyone on the same course as me. Good luck to you all Ron Wilson
Old 5th August 2016, 18:07
Active: 1963 - 1968

Interested to see Derek Blair's comments on TS Dolphin. I was there in January 1963. I have attached a photo and would love to hear from anyone who was there at the same time.

Me. I am top right

PS.I hope the photo attached ok
Attached Images
File Type: jpg (a) Training Ship Dolphin Jan 1963 - Copy.jpg (221.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 7th December 2016, 20:15

was on Dolphin deck from26 /4/1955 to29/7 /55 thentwo of mybrothers after me
Old 7th December 2016, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hood47 View Post
Interested to see Derek Blair's comments on TS Dolphin. I was there in January 1963. I have attached a photo and would love to hear from anyone who was there at the same time.

Me. I am top right

PS.I hope the photo attached ok
Alex#67! I clocked you in the picture before I looked at your user name. You will see on this thread that I enquired about Ronnie Sommerford. I now know he jumped from the Rangitata and I have his complete record of ships. However his daughter Michelle never showed any interest and so there was no point in me keeping on. Funny to think though, that in all the time I wondered about her she was only about twenty miles away. Regards Ronnie. It's a hot one here today meta. Just sayi' like.
Old 13th December 2016, 14:35
Active: 1963 - 1968

Hi Ronnie. Good to hear from you. I would like to say that I haven't changed much since that 1963 photo, but hey ho, that's life.

It is a pity the way things worked for Roy. I tried to make contact also with his daughter but she did not show any interest. I also tried to contact his brother but his post, I think it is on another site, was some years ago so I really wasn't expecting a reply.

All well here. Hope you and yours have a good Christmas and a Happy 2017.

Alex
Old 24th January 2017, 23:52
Active: 1950 - 1960

Was on TS Dolphin as Catering Boy 1950 to 51 Did cooks certificate in 1954 never met any of the lads I was with on the Dolphin I suppose most have gone to the great ship in the sky as I am 82 there wont be many of tht era still around Ron Wilson
Old 9th August 2017, 05:46
Active: 1966 - 1972

I tryed to find out about our superan just found dead ends
Old 9th August 2017, 21:09

Alex#57 is that Willie Sharp in front of you to your right?