Liverpool Cock tugs - Ships Nostalgia
15:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Liverpool Cock tugs

User Tag List

Old 17th August 2014, 21:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1983 - 1993

Liverpool Cock tugs

There was a series of very smart tugs built for Liverpool Steam Towage in the 1930s or so, vessels like the Grebe Cock, etc., by Cammell Laird. Would anyone know where drawings of one of those vessels might be obtained for model making purposes?

Also, when you look at photographs of that series of tugs, they appear to have no ventilators at all. Cammell Laird was obviously very ahead of their time but how did they ventilate the boiler room?

Cheers,
Andrew 3rdEng
Old 30th December 2015, 17:50

Hi I worked on the Black Cock (1954) sister tug to the Grebe Cock . There was an iron grid (6`x 3`) behind the funnel on the boat deck which had a iron hatch type cover which was closed only in bad weather . regards Alan Rolo
Old 30th December 2015, 23:49

My location
What an unfortunate name! Either that or someone had a sense of humour!

"There is no such thing as a bum note...I only take the opportunity to expand the transcendental vibrations to explore the lesser known highways and byways of musical theory! I find it best to play it loud...that way no one can say you did not mean it!" Dorothy Willows

Currently testing: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
www.yellsoundfm.listen2myradio.com
Old 31st December 2015, 08:39
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Totally off topic but I see Facebook removed a pub's page due to a complaint that it was offensive and racist, the pub's name "The Blackcock Inn" However to give the other side of the story it was an unpaid personal page, fb like commercial entities to pay a fee.
Old 1st January 2016, 08:18

My location
I seemed to remember a Tickle Cock Bridge in Yorkshire and my wife says it's in Castleford - at least it was when she was a kid.

Taff
Old 23rd March 2017, 09:18
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1982 - Present

I recently got a commission for an oilpainting of the port of Liverpool. I am looking for images of tugs, operating on the Mersey or in the docks in the years '50 or '60. I usually compose such a painting from several photograph's to achieve a dynamic image. Who is able to be of assistance? Please contact me by e-mail:
[email protected] You might look on my site, to have some idea of what I produce: www.nicompeeters.nl

Many thanks in advance!
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:11
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - Present

I was ship and tug mad when I was a 'lightie' in the early 50's and I remember well gate crashing the launches of the GAME COCK V and the FIGHTING COCK at Cammel Lairds. In those pre-security days no one took any notice of a school boy with a bike. If memory treats me right they were built on the same way and launched about 10 minutes apart. Most of the COCK fleet were there dressed overall to receive them and making a lot of noise.
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:57

Hi, John,

Where does the expression "lightie" come from?

Your origins and mine almost coincide, but I had not heard it until your recent use of it!
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:19
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - Present

Hi Barrie greetings from the deep south! 'Lightie' is a good South Africanism and even though I will never lose all traces of my accent it has softened a bit and I have picked quite a lot of the local vernacular since 1966.
Old 11th May 2018, 16:12

As a 10 year old on holiday with my parents at Banavie on the Caledonian Canal I wangled a lift on a "Cock" tug up to the first set of locks (and back to the digs in the local Postie`s wee red van). I think the name of the tug was Cockspur, was this one of the fleet ? My first "adventure" and what a thrashing I got from my mother !
Old 19th October 2018, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow5 View Post
As a 10 year old on holiday with my parents at Banavie on the Caledonian Canal I wangled a lift on a "Cock" tug up to the first set of locks (and back to the digs in the local Postie`s wee red van). I think the name of the tug was Cockspur, was this one of the fleet ? My first "adventure" and what a thrashing I got from my mother !
Still haven't found a picture of"Cockspur", any ideas? This incident would be in the 1950s. The canal people will have a record of transits I presume. My first meal of corned beef hash and tinned milk in the tea during my "voyage" !
Old 19th October 2018, 20:02

Not sure if the following is the vessel in question, but not the same fleet

You do not mention a year but if 1946 then potentially this one moving from west to east coast.

COCKSPUR
O.N. 146711. 135g. 1n. 85.4 x 21.0 x 10.4 feet.
C.2-cyl. (15” & 32" x 24") by Plenty & Son Ltd., Newbury. 42nhp.
1918: Completed as HS 84 by Edwards & Company Ltd., Millwall, (Yard No. 751) for the War Office Inland Water Transport Department, London.
1919: Transferred to the Admiralty and renamed PETER PAN.
7.1922: Sold to Ardrossan Harbour Company, (H. Hopperton, manager), Ardrossan.
21.10.1922: First registered, at Ardrossan, as COCKSPUR.
22.8.1946: Sold to Peter Foster & Company Ltd., Hull
5.2.1948: 100% (5-year) mortgaged to the National Provincial Bank, London.
3.1961: Sold to United Towing Company Ltd.
24.4.1963: Arrived in tow on the Nieuw Waterweg enroute to Hendrik-ido-Ambacht, for demolition by Arie Rijsdijk-Bos & Zonen.
Old 24th July 2019, 15:55

Working on the Mersey

My Grandfather was a Captain on a tugboat on the River Mersey. I am trying to find out about him and his working life on the Mersey. He died in 1953. His name was George Callon.
Old 24th July 2019, 21:01
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rolo View Post
Hi I worked on the Black Cock (1954) sister tug to the Grebe Cock . There was an iron grid (6`x 3`) behind the funnel on the boat deck which had a iron hatch type cover which was closed only in bad weather . regards Alan Rolo
That iron grid , placed each side of the funnel , was exactly the same boiler room ventilation used on the double ended , coal fired steam ferries that served the Auckland Harbour prior to the Harbour Bridge.
A favourite seating place for school boys on a winters day until the wafting heat became too much .

Bob