O C L - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
04:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

O C L

User Tag List

Old 14th March 2009, 10:00

waddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy24 View Post
Is that at old peoples homes or something like that
Could be lol .... If you were to drop by I am sure I could find you a comfy chair and blanket

Or as someone else said ... Working at Security ??? ... Where is that ...At a Mothercare shop

Last edited by DAVE F; 14th March 2009 at 10:06..
Old 14th March 2009, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymay View Post
No Dave. Gary was and AB, great wee guy from Liverpool. The photo you have posted was a blst from the past, I was definately on board that trip, Lee Barbers first trip to Kiwi (he was 'sheltered' on the Far East runs)
That crew bar was the best in the fleet.

Graham
Hi Graham
Bit slow in replying there are quite a few O C L threads, if your were on that trip then I must know you, Was that the trip, when in Melbourne Lee was godfather at Betty`s granddaughters christening. I was suppose to go also but got lost in a bar in town
Old 14th March 2009, 21:05

Dave

The old memory is producing some distant visions of a 'function' in Melbourne, however I can't remember what. I was definately there when that photo was taken in the crew bar, I did a double header and I can remember that old [email protected] Barnes!
We also sailed together on a Baby Bay, but obviously I can't remember which one, it wasn't the 6 weeks in Sydney on the Moreton was it? (Bosun was a wee guy from Yorkshire with black hair and a 60s droopy Mexican moustache!
I really wish I had some photos, just to jog my memory.

All the best

Graham
Old 15th March 2009, 09:16

Quote:
Dave

The old memory is producing some distant visions of a 'function' in Melbourne, however I can't remember what. I was definately there when that photo was taken in the crew bar, I did a double header and I can remember that old [email protected] Barnes!
We also sailed together on a Baby Bay, but obviously I can't remember which one, it wasn't the 6 weeks in Sydney on the Moreton was it? (Bosun was a wee guy from Yorkshire with black hair and a 60s droopy Mexican moustache!
I really wish I had some photos, just to jog my memory.

All the best

Graham
well we must have both been on that trip but the same as you it was a long time ago and just cannot remember all the faces. Lee was a great bloke,I dont know what happened but Betty was telling me that he was now in a wheelchair, Maybe someone else could tell us more about what happened.
No I was not on the Moreton that time in Sydney,the only long lay up was 3 weeks in Melbourne on the Flinders. Betty from Melbourne has been over here and stayed with me a few times. But it was not the same as when on the ships,maybe it was a bit to long,as we seemed to row alot,probally my fault but would never admit it to her.

Cheers Dave
Old 15th March 2009, 12:59

Betty

Hello Dave

You were asking about Betty? I do remember her. She came to see me a couple of times when I was on the Oz coast as well. She used to keep in touch with my mam and even visited a couple of more times, but I don't think they've been in touch for a while.
Old 15th March 2009, 20:09

I remember Betty and Dawn taking us to a nightclub in St Kilda, it was a rough old joint, we were not mad every welcome at all (hardly surprising I suppose, given we were all young and full of Fosters) Kev Barnard was there, also Bob Taylor. That was 1980 I think.
Betty had a friend thst used to come on board with her, was her name Tracy or something? Never seemed to 'entertain' the boys as much as some of the other girls if you know what I mean?
I also remember going to see Boz Scaggs in the festival hall in Melbourne that trip.
I'm offshore jus tnow Dave, however I will check my discharge book when I get home, also I think my Mam has got some crew lists from the early 80s so I will post them on the site. Its amazing, I remember going to throw them out 25 years ago and she said " No keep them for memories" So true.

Graham
Old 16th March 2009, 01:11

Re Betty

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzil f View Post
Hello Dave

You were asking about Betty? I do remember her. She came to see me a couple of times when I was on the Oz coast as well. She used to keep in touch with my mam and even visited a couple of more times, but I don't think they've been in touch for a while.
Hi Denzil
I have not heard from her for a couple of years now. she used to phone and send a christmas card but now nothing,tried phoning her but disconnected

Dave
Old 16th March 2009, 01:32

Betty

Quote:
I remember Betty and Dawn taking us to a nightclub in St Kilda, it was a rough old joint, we were not mad every welcome at all (hardly surprising I suppose, given we were all young and full of Fosters) Kev Barnard was there, also Bob Taylor. That was 1980 I think.
Betty had a friend thst used to come on board with her, was her name Tracy or something? Never seemed to 'entertain' the boys as much as some of the other girls if you know what I mean?
I also remember going to see Boz Scaggs in the festival hall in Melbourne that trip.
I'm offshore jus tnow Dave, however I will check my discharge book when I get home, also I think my Mam has got some crew lists from the early 80s so I will post them on the site. Its amazing, I remember going to throw them out 25 years ago and she said " No keep them for memories" So true.

Graham
Hi Graham
I remember Dawn Quite well ...lol. I remember one time when I had just come back to O C L, It was on the Rem, a lot of the lads knew me from the past, I think it was a deckboy he was asking me if I had ever been to Aussie, I said no and all the other lads kept quite. He told me all about it and said he would introduce me to his girlfriend Betty. Anyway when we arrived in Melbourne both of us were sitting at the bar,when the door opened and his eyes lit up,it was Betty. H said hello Betty this is .[ going to introduce me ] She said hi to him and said to me..How are you, you old bastard and gave me a bottle of scotch and a tee shirt. The deckboy could not work it out ...I told him I had known Betty for years and been to Aussie loads of times,even lived there for 4 years ... lol

Would like to see crew lists, would be good if you had the one when you were on the Rem with Jack Barnes to see if I was on same trip

Dave

Last edited by DAVE F; 16th March 2009 at 01:36..
Old 19th March 2009, 17:38

Quote:

Graham
I remember going to see Boz Scaggs at the festival hall i think it must of been when we were on the Mairangi if it was in 1980
Old 19th March 2009, 23:46
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry wallace View Post
I sailed with charlie on a few of the far east bays. A great bosun with a great sense of humour.
Hi Terry,How's things with you? Sailed with you a couple of times if i remember rightly. Am still at sea on the ferries up North...certainly not the same crack nowadays at sea. It's good to see a lot of the OCL lads joining the site. Hope your keeping well yourself.
Regards Steve.
Old 20th March 2009, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie burgess View Post
Hi Terry,How's things with you? Sailed with you a couple of times if i remember rightly. Am still at sea on the ferries up North...certainly not the same crack nowadays at sea. It's good to see a lot of the OCL lads joining the site. Hope your keeping well yourself.
Regards Steve.
Hi Stevie, Good to hear from you. Yes we sailed a few times together but can,t remember which ones.Went back to anchor handlers after ocl/p&o and ended up back in Singapore/Capetown/Nigeria etc. Moved over to the Dominican Republic three years ago and packed in going to sea a year later as was working out of Egypt and got sick of commuting. Now working in Renovation/construction and loving it. Don,t miss those cold winters up north!. Regards Terry
Old 20th March 2009, 22:47

Norman Skeggs

HI lads,
does any one remember norman skeggs the bosun, i bumped in to john goodins last year, he still live in seaham harbour. keep the good work going

geordie peacock.
Old 21st March 2009, 20:27

Norman Skeggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie peacock View Post
HI lads,
does any one remember norman skeggs the bosun, i bumped in to john goodins last year, he still live in seaham harbour. keep the good work going

geordie peacock.
Hi Geordie
Norman Skeggs rings a bell, if its the same bloke I am thinking of, did he keep dobermann dogs. The bloke I am thinking of,had silver grey hair,glasses and a goatie beard

Cheers Dave
Old 21st March 2009, 20:41

Norman Skeggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie peacock View Post
HI lads,

geordie peacock.
Hi Geordie
Norman Skeggs rings a bell, if its the same bloke I am thinking of, did he keep dobermann dogs. The bloke I am thinking of,had silver grey hair,glasses and a goatie beard

Cheers Dave
Old 21st March 2009, 20:53

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by navycut View Post
Hi Geordie

Cheers Dave
Hi Dave,I think you,re thinking of Jack Skeggs. He was a great guy who kept dogs. Norman on the other hand was a fat lazy b***ard who spent all his time in the bar where he would dish out the jobs for the day.
Old 22nd March 2009, 00:32

Quote:
Hi Dave,I think you,re thinking of Jack Skeggs. He was a great guy who kept dogs. Norman on the other hand was a fat lazy b***ard who spent all his time in the bar where he would dish out the jobs for the day.
Yes Terry
Now you say the name Jack, that the one I am thinking of. Its funny I have had and have a dobermann dog myself now. He was keen on that breed.

Dave
Old 22nd March 2009, 01:22

Quote:
Hi Stevie, Good to hear from you. Yes we sailed a few times together but can,t remember which ones.Went back to anchor handlers after ocl/p&o and ended up back in Singapore/Capetown/Nigeria etc. Moved over to the Dominican Republic three years ago and packed in going to sea a year later as was working out of Egypt and got sick of commuting. Now working in Renovation/construction and loving it. Don,t miss those cold winters up north!. Regards Terry
Glad your enjoying shoreside life Terry. I myself am sick of being stuck in this rut at sea nowadays especially on these ferries but i think i'm too knacked to go anywhere else...back and hip problems so shoreside job wouldn't help a lot either i suppose...wish i could win something on the lotto!!
Regards Steve
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:40

Quote:
Glad your enjoying shoreside life Terry. I myself am sick of being stuck in this rut at sea nowadays especially on these ferries but i think i'm too knacked to go anywhere else...back and hip problems so shoreside job wouldn't help a lot either i suppose...wish i could win something on the lotto!!
Regards Steve
I had a hip problem once .... Kept falling over ... Mind you the hip problem was a Hip Flask ............
Old 22nd March 2009, 13:49

Thumbs down

Quote:
Regards Steve
Me too Steve. I still put the lotto on but never win anything. Its nice living in the sunshine but to win the lotto and be retired in the sunshine,wow that would be something. Not missing the sea as i thought i would though, especially how it has all changed. Its all bullshit now and no fun. Terry
Old 23rd March 2009, 02:02

Quote:
Me too Steve. I still put the lotto on but never win anything. Its nice living in the sunshine but to win the lotto and be retired in the sunshine,wow that would be something. Not missing the sea as i thought i would though, especially how it has all changed. Its all bullshit now and no fun. Terry
Going to pick up some winnings tomorrow from the Lotto...490 so it's better than nowt,pity it hadn't been 4.9 million though!! Aye your right there Terry all bullshit and no fun indeed but that's the same with most jobs nowadays.
I certainly miss the sunshine,don't get a big lot of it up here...10 months of winter. Regards Steve.
Old 24th March 2009, 13:08

Quote:
Going to pick up some winnings tomorrow from the Lotto...490 so it's better than nowt,pity it hadn't been 4.9 million though!! Aye your right there Terry all bullshit and no fun indeed but that's the same with most jobs nowadays.
I certainly miss the sunshine,don't get a big lot of it up here...10 months of winter. Regards Steve.
Hi Steve, Have a pint for me with your winnings. You,ve just got more in a single day than i have ever got in about ten years. I can,t imagine it been good on the ferries, back and forth all the time to the same two ports but you have to make a living somewhere. Although if it was from say Singapore to Sumatra then i think that i could handle it for awhile. Or maybe lyttleton to Port Chalmers!!!
Old 24th March 2009, 16:05

My location
Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Hi Paul,
How you keeping mate.
Tiny
Hi Tiny, would you be Nathaniel Artingstall? If so, do you remember me and my hubby Mark? If so, please get in touch, I am trying to organise a 50th birthday party for him! Would love it if some of the old OCL shipmates could come!

Karel
xxxx
Old 24th March 2009, 16:21

My location
I am still in contact with Trish (Trevor) Cartwright! He was a wonderful person, now lives in sunny Spain! Used to be in touch with Darren Steward (?), really struggling to remember more names, BILLY FLYNN GET IN TOUCH!! Do you remember when there was a huge function on board the Kowloon Bay in Japan, and I helped out in the galley? PLEASE ANYONE WHO KNOWS MY MARK, GET IN TOUCH ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25th March 2009, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel Bailey View Post
I am still in contact with Trish (Trevor) Cartwright! He was a wonderful person, now lives in sunny Spain! Used to be in touch with Darren Steward (?), really struggling to remember more names, BILLY FLYNN GET IN TOUCH!! Do you remember when there was a huge function on board the Kowloon Bay in Japan, and I helped out in the galley? PLEASE ANYONE WHO KNOWS MY MARK, GET IN TOUCH ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!
Have sent you an e-mail re crew lists
Old 26th March 2009, 09:19

My location
Hi, I'm Mark Bailey's wife and I keep coming on to this website to see if anyone has responded to my request!! I am trying to get in touch with a few old mates of Mark's as I would like to organise a 50th Birthday Party for hime, so I am going to reel off a few names now, and hopefully at some point will go into the loft(!!) to get some old pictures out and post them in the gallery, might help if people saw what he looked like! Names then: Darren Adamson from Irlam Manchester, "BIRKIE" from Leics, Tim Dawson from Essex, Peter Dutton (Pedro) from La Pool, Dave "Doc" Dickinson from Leicester, Keith Esplin, Colin Pearce "Snake", Gary Everall (not sure if he was OCL, but deffo P&O Cargo Boats), Mike Furse, Alan Farley, Billy Flynn, Albie Higgins, Geoff Kelly, Nat Artingstall "Tiny", Kev Ingham (P&O again), Darren Streeting, Rod Halewood, Mark Stephenson, Andy Philips, Dave Hook, Mike Horn, to name a few.

Hilary Pedgrift was the Fleet Personnel person at Beagle House and Paul Wells co-ordinated thing (just thought I would throw this in for good measure!!)

Do any of you guys remember Varne Masters, from Mount Eden and Sammi/Kim Masters from East Tamaki South Auckland, they kept in touch with me for a long time, but we lost touch after a while (they were ships molls, but they were lovely!), as was Annette Nelson from Dunedin.

I remember going out for a meal in Hong Kong and doing a "runner", I didn't know this was going to happen and I had heels on, so predictably I got caught, but everyone else came back to the restaurant to settle the bill as well, which was very kind of them!!

I remember on one boat, the crew bar was so dingy that we made a pact that if we went ashore we had to bring something back from ashore to cheer the bar up, I had a lovely chair, which was painted and Mark and someone else were caught trying to get traffic lights, they were nicked and put in cells overnight and had to go to court in NZ, it was a very worrying time LOL!!!

So, if you know us, please get in touch! Thanks Karel xxx

Did manage to get up into the loft and have added some pictures.