O C L - Page 7 - Ships Nostalgia
15:01

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

O C L

User Tag List

Old 26th August 2009, 01:46
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmist View Post
Hello Steve,
Paul here again. Thanks for your thread. Am sure I sailed with you but maybe I’m wrong, suppose if I had a crew list I could find out. I was there 1977 to 1984 ish. 1st trip at sea so was a deck boy on board ‘Moreton Bay’ 16.08.1977 to 25.11.77 R. Ryan was Master. Then Discovery Bay 19.12.77 to 13.03.78 Mr Chipperfield was Master. Then Botany Bay 14.06.78 to 12.10.78 H Gibbons was Master. Then Discovery Bay 07.12.78 to 13.03.79 then Remuera Bay 02.05.79 to 09.07.79 Captains name is just scribble! Then Mairangi Bay 04.09.79 to 29.11.79 R Wood was Master. Then Flinders Bay 03.06.80 to 04.09.80 Welsh was Master. Then Resolution Bay 04.11.80 to 06.04.81 welsh was Master, that trip we were in Sydney for 6 weeks with seaman’s strike, bonus! Then Resolution Bay again 30.06.81 to 15.09.81 after that trip I was going in between Stephenson Clarke shipping and OCL. One name that sticks out is good old Charlie McKenzie AB what a top man he was! I can remember taking him to lift on Res Bay bout 9pm, Charlie was **** faced on Whiskey and milk in same glass, most times it used to curdle! Put him in lift and one of the lads was there to put him in his bunk, good old days…..
Ps have you any crew lists between those dates above Steve?
From Paul
Hi Paul, Thanks for your reply.Well it's been 32 years since i first sailed with you on "Moreton Bay"...just checked my old discharge book and it was my first trip in the Company then i sailed with you again on "Remuera Bay" May-July '79....think that might have been a trip to Kiwi only and Panama Canal both ways but i might be wrong. I think i have a picture of you now...weren't you a wee light ginger haired lad or maybe i'm wrong!! The only crew list i have is dated 29.04.85 which Karel Bailey posted on the site a wee while ago which was really great to look at after all these years...wish i had kept some of them myself now. So are you still at sea or become a landlubber....am still at sea myself on the ferries. Anyway Paul it's good to hear from you.
Steve.
Old 26th August 2009, 16:52

hi Ian
Glad that you are with us. Pity you were missing from the reunion, but maybe next year. It will be great seeing you after all these years.
Old 15th November 2009, 09:56
Active: 1971 - 1978

was on the Moreton Bay about 74 I think, 1st and last box boat I went on, a week in the engine room, a week on deck and a week on the bridge. BORING ...3 month trip, did get up to a few shoreside antics though, the crew were good...
Old 16th November 2009, 20:19

hello lads. just reading some of the messages and remembering some of the names. fond memories of those bay boats. first trip was osaka bay in feb 88. what an eye opener at 16!!!! stayed till 92 then got some work off paul wells when he started his own agency, didnt last long haha. still at sea now but alots changed and it will never be the same sadly. frankie kearns was the blocker on me first trip. some names you all may remember....bob young, alan flynn,ritchi pratt,danny hatchard,mick pritchard,tommy youp,brian youp,robbie youp(thats me!),george the cook and harry pennington the cook cant remember georges second name,phil lane,trish,tony christian,gary fenlon, tosh from hull,steve foley. loads more but ill have to think? good to be here anyway hope to see some old friends and faces. oh also big billy graham!
Old 16th November 2009, 20:24

les bibby? was you the cook?from liverpool?if its you i sailed with you.
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:11
Active: 1971 - 1978

RE. moreton bay about 74, just reading bigbob71's post and got me thinking that I can't remember many names but I do have photos of the crew, so I will post those later..
Old 15th July 2010, 17:36

Tiny - Nathanial Richard Artingstall by any chance?
Old 15th July 2010, 21:07

Indeed it is, who would I have the pleasure of speaking to?
There is a bay boat page on facebook which we're all members of and are having a reunion on august 6 and 7. Come and join us.
Old 16th July 2010, 14:20

Tiny, how you doing, it's Steve, used to go up to a little bar in Gotanda and get legless with the rip raps when Bluies had the 5 far east bays. You still got that Iron Maiden T Shirt?
Old 16th July 2010, 17:21

Are you the blonde haired motorman from down south, did we frequent the butterfly bar then over to the norwegian for a burger, forgive me if i'm wrong it was a long time ago. Come join us on facebook
Old 19th July 2010, 11:01

No From Manchester, stayed with Bluies when P&O took the 5 boats over.
Not on Facebook, where is the re-union?
Possibly working, work for chinese company tracking containers from Felixstowe to continent
Old 31st July 2010, 20:15

my names alan edgar sailed on all the baby bays some twice including the rem from 73 to 78/79 remember all the names ive read so far and who could forget egg on legs trying to look at some photos mentioned but as im new to all this cant seem to, anyone help
Old 1st August 2010, 00:23

Hi Alan,Glad you have managed to join us on SN as i would like to get in contact with your brother Ray,i sailed with him a good few times.Ask him to join us on SN will you it would be great to hear from him again. What photo's are you looking for? have you tried looking in the gallery section!
Old 1st August 2010, 21:20

i have just spoken to ray he was glad to hear from you, called you a beast, says he is gonna join up in the next few days. the photo,s im looking for is of any of the lads, looked in the gallery section but can only find pictures of ships.
Old 2nd August 2010, 01:50

Yeah they called me THE BEAST in them days indeed...just a wee tame one nowadays,hope he doesn't take too long to sign up to SN as i'm back to work on Thur morning for a fortnight. I had a look in the gallery in the members faces section...there is some photos from a while ago but i would say your best bet is to join Facebook and click on to groups section (bayboats) and you will see loads of photo's of the lads from days gone by,it was set up by Lofty Shears....great site! Hope to hear from Ray soon.

Regards

Steve
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:03
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1991

Ray Edgar at last thats a name I remember
Old 4th August 2010, 23:42

Made contact with Ray at last...what a great site,all thanks through SN. Who may i ask is Mairangi Bay?
Old 5th August 2010, 01:49

ive no idea, after my time, glad ray got in touch i know by speaking to him you were good friends ,made up he has joined, says a lot for this site,i know your away today {thurs} and i did have a look on facebook and seen some blasts from the past, all good lads, i will try and put my photo ,s up soon as ,got some better ones {1970s }
Old 5th August 2010, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.edgar View Post
ive no idea, after my time, glad ray got in touch i know by speaking to him you were good friends ,made up he has joined, says a lot for this site,i know your away today {thurs} and i did have a look on facebook and seen some blasts from the past, all good lads, i will try and put my photo ,s up soon as ,got some better ones {1970s }
Hi al,
I have been in touch with the wee beastie been great hearing from after all these years some of the things we used to get up to you would never believe or there again you just might must have a look in the loft I probibly have loads of photo's up there stored away'
see you soon Ray
Old 5th August 2010, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mairangi bay View Post
Ray Edgar at last thats a name I remember
Hi,
Who go's by the name of Mairangi Bay,
Regards Ray
Old 6th August 2010, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonWon View Post
No From Manchester, stayed with Bluies when P&O took the 5 boats over.
Not on Facebook, where is the re-union?
Possibly working, work for chinese company tracking containers from Felixstowe to continent
Sorry for not getting back sooner, reunion starts tonight for 2 nights in Liverpool, main event SAt at 8pm in the Liverpool on James St used to be called the Mona. 07865494440