Silver Line Ltd, London - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:03

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Silver Line Ltd, London

User Tag List

Old 11th January 2008, 00:03

Goodness - some names from the past there,

Bob - I sailed with you several times when I was a cadet and later 3/O. Used to have a picture of you skin diving in the lakes at Panama. You might remember me diving from the side (90+ feet!).

Matty Jack - the name rings a bell, but I do remember some vague stories.

Sailed with Capts. Tester and Younger.

Remember my first trip as a cadet on the Silvershore with Billy (Chippy) Gardner, Crawford was old man, I think. Tony Stankiewicz was the handyman (Stan the Man).

More names and memories, please, coz my memory is hopeless!!

Pete
Old 11th January 2008, 00:11

Vaughan - I think we sailed together as cadets! Couldn't tell you on which ships, though. If I remember correctly, we were about the same height (not tall!) and both with dark hair and a 'tache.

If it is who I am thinking of - I have a photo somewhere of us messing about in the ship's pool.

Was the 3/E John Beers and his gorgeous wife Cherie on that trip?

Pete
Old 12th January 2008, 21:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1996

Anyone remember Ray Lutton,ex Silver Line Eng cadet. He sends regards to Dave Bucknall. Ray is now with large cruise ships as senior third engineer. He sailed on Forth, Main, Clyde, Algol and Arapaho from cadet ,until redundancy, when he was 4th Eng. He sends regards to all his old colleagues. Some other names to conjure with:- Cap Riddell, Cap Troop, Cap Safe, Cap Ron Hill, C/Os Mike Lazonby, Gavin Brown, Tony Attwood, Paul Malone, Paul Wakeling, C/Es
Albert Trotter, George Ferdinand, Bob Ronald, Alfy Robinson, 2/Es Dave Whitter, Dave Arrowsmith, Joe Townes, 2/Os Bob Nigg, Dave Gammons, 3/Es Tony (Prince of darkness) Blackwood and Angus Mather. Elects, Dave Bucknall, Ricky Webb and Carlos Villalanda. C/Ss Peter Smallwood and Tommy Wilson. So many more great lads to sail with and sad to say I can't recall them but I sailed with all of those mentioned and with one notable exception, they were all top guys. I'll leave you to work out the odd one out.
Old 25th April 2008, 16:01

'silvercrag' crewmembers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurtis1 View Post
first ship at sea, silver sand followed by silver crag. c/e's len dewar, ted greenway, bob roberts, one lunged old soak from teesside whom i cant recall,and the unforgettable matty jack. 2/e's,the dreadful denis barker,big john doyle(ex military policeman), and freddie johnson. hank otter did his first trip with silver line aboard the crag, and his altercation with matty jack in vittoria (geordies bar) merited a mention in the guinness book of all time great pugilist contests, with the gloves removed. went back to silver line years later, on 'alice redfield, argo clyde, taabo, carchester, arapaho, then several 'V' ships managed ships. for the best part, great times.

'The one lunged old soak from Teeside' was Alf Crowther. I believe he was also challenged in the number of kidneys a bloke is meant to have. His great claim was that he had a letter from his Doctor stating that he should only visit the engine room in case of emergencies. It is not recorded whether he told his Doctor he was a Chief Engineer.
Such an emergency occured with a scavange fire in the Channel. He was reportedly on the engine room plates, smoking a fag and re-assuring the Captain (Duke) who had ventured below when there was a tremendous crash following the dropping of the e/room skylights which resulted in Alf finding he was speaking to himself and Duke halway out of the e/room.

I remember Rob Roberts for his urbane manner with women - which didn't always work in Cardiff.

I have only limited recollections of Ted Greenway but recall him as an unusual individual in that he was a thoroughly decent individual and a Chief Steward.

I was variously a snotty apprentice and third mate on the 'Silvercrag'.
Old 25th April 2008, 16:19

silverweir:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.d.robinson View Post
Silversea had mainland Chinese crew in 1966. Silverweir had Indian crew in 1968, but carried 3 H.K. juniors. Imet one much later in Aussie, he was Lloyds surveyor

J.D.Robinson

Indian crew in 1965/6.

First Silver Line ship with Indian crew and all aft accomodation - the aroma was unforgettable, the currys marvellous.
Old 29th April 2008, 14:24

I was with Silver Line from 1971 to 1983. Ican recall many of the names above especially Hank Otter who was CS when I was Chief Cook. Also Tom Wilson who was Cook when I was 2nd cook.I did my first trip on the Silvereagle with Billy Gardner who was Bosun and was a great guy with some terrific stories. Some skippers who come to mind are Bev Dyke and Norman Evans who were very fair minded with everyone.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:04

Joined Silvermain at the builders , Uljanic at Pula, March 1970, did a trip out to USA and Japan, then a short time on the Silverosprey then another on the Silvermain. Just loved Japan. Trevor.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:18
'Sock Puppet' account

Capts Johnny Walker & Whitelaw. Anyone remember?
Old 29th April 2008, 17:00

I was on the silvermain in 72 running from the states to Japan with grain and backloading cars in nagoya for Baton Rouge. No wonder I was skint after six months on that trip!!
Old 18th May 2008, 19:03
Active: 1972 - 1980

Did 3 trips on the Silverclyde from 1977 onwards. The went onto the Eden Bridge and then the Spey Bridge. Silverclyde was fun and I enjoyed it. The other 2 did not impress.
Old 14th June 2008, 21:18

Hank Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Frost View Post
Hi
I sailed on the Mv SILVER EIRIK in 1976 from europort to gadansk.
Then on SILVERFORTH from istanbul & left in yokohama again in 1976.
Does anybody remember chief steward Hank Otter,if so please let me know.

Thanks

Malcolm Frost.
Hi Malcolm
I sailed with Hank several times on the Alva ships and Stat 55s. He was a great guy ,first class chief steward and great fun to be with.
Old 10th July 2008, 02:23
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - Present

I sailed with Harry Whitelaw on the Sand, Aldersgate, Tower Bridge and Weir and got my first Mates job when Harry was promoted Master of the Tower bridge in Vancouver in '67. Last saw him in Blyth in 1973 when he was Skipper on the Standby Boat 'Dorinda' working Ekofisk. He was still living in N'Shields at that time.

I was Mate on the Weir for the last year she sailed with Silver Line before being sold to Greeks as 'Agios Antonios'. Harry Whitelaw relieved Chivers as Master and Len Dewar was Chief Engr. We had Indian Crew but no HK Chinese Junior Engrs thats for sure.
On the last trip Baltimore to Sunderland we had a Full House of Greeks + Silver Line crew including the new Owner Andreas Nicolaeios........who spent most of his time counting the cutlery.
The ship was handed over in Greenwells Dockyard, Sunderland.

Seem to recall we had Indian crew on the Tower Bridge as well. At that time we were trading between Canada and North China ( Shanghai and Tanggu ) so for sure we did not have Chinese crews........All the other Silver Line ships I sailed on had Brit crews with Arab firemen .

Silver Line ( Dene Shipping ) was an excellent outfit and I still have the Silver Line tie which we were supposed to wear when visiting the Office in Bishopsgate !
Old 8th August 2008, 20:00

G. F. Chivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaituo View Post
I sailed with Harry Whitelaw on the Sand, Aldersgate, Tower Bridge and Weir and got my first Mates job when Harry was promoted Master of the Tower bridge in Vancouver in '67. Last saw him in Blyth in 1973 when he was Skipper on the Standby Boat 'Dorinda' working Ekofisk. He was still living in N'Shields at that time.

I was Mate on the Weir for the last year she sailed with Silver Line before being sold to Greeks as 'Agios Antonios'. Harry Whitelaw relieved Chivers as Master and Len Dewar was Chief Engr. We had Indian Crew but no HK Chinese Junior Engrs thats for sure.
On the last trip Baltimore to Sunderland we had a Full House of Greeks + Silver Line crew including the new Owner Andreas Nicolaeios........who spent most of his time counting the cutlery.
The ship was handed over in Greenwells Dockyard, Sunderland.

Seem to recall we had Indian crew on the Tower Bridge as well. At that time we were trading between Canada and North China ( Shanghai and Tanggu ) so for sure we did not have Chinese crews........All the other Silver Line ships I sailed on had Brit crews with Arab firemen .

Silver Line ( Dene Shipping ) was an excellent outfit and I still have the Silver Line tie which we were supposed to wear when visiting the Office in Bishopsgate !
You mention "Harry Whitelaw relieved Chivers as Master ". Was this G. F. Chivers who was a Silverline Master during WWII and until his retirement.

G.F.Chivers MBE was my Uncle and we were both T.S.Mercury 'Old Boys'. I am trying to establish details of his service with the SilverLine. At the end of the war he married and American girl and made his home in the U.S.A so that his family this side of the pond had very few details. He had one son who is also very interested in his fathers MN history.

PS I never went to sea. However that's another story.
Old 10th August 2008, 12:55

Re Silverclyde.
Robbie 1954, are you sure you found the "Clyde" fun?? I was 2/E when she was handed over to Greek owners in Karachi and I found her anything but fun.
She must have been the only vessel to experience "bump starting" of a main engine, and the "tie breaking" system for the shaft alternators was something else. The cranes, and I use that term guardedly were from another planet. The ER skylights were permanently off because it was impossible to breathe in the engine room with them on. To quote Cap Tuddenham she was an accident waiting to happen and that he was in command of a bomb. A great crowd of lads made up for the hardships, but they would agree, she wasn't fun
Old 21st August 2008, 19:52

One Silver Line ship not yet mentioned - Silverleaf.

I sailed as RO on her in 1967-68. Joined in Greenwell's Drydock in Sunderland, left in Hull. Voyage was from Sunderland to New Orleans (Destrehan) to load grain for Navlakhi (India). Thereafter, visited karachi, Durban, Cape Town, Montreal, Philadelphia then Hull.

A very happy ship but the old grey cells are failing a little. The only names I can remember were: Dai Bowen - Master. Mr Sydney - CO, Ian Harrison - 2/O, Dave Fielden - 3/O. Chief STeward was the much mentioned Hank Otter. Mr Dewar - CE. Mr Small - Leckie. One of the deck cadets was Neil (forget his surname) but was from Hull.

Was sorry to leave that ship. Great voyage.

RM
Old 22nd August 2008, 11:36

Silverleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodri Mawr View Post
One Silver Line ship not yet mentioned - Silverleaf.

I sailed as RO on her in 1967-68. Joined in Greenwell's Drydock in Sunderland, left in Hull. Voyage was from Sunderland to New Orleans (Destrehan) to load grain for Navlakhi (India). Thereafter, visited karachi, Durban, Cape Town, Montreal, Philadelphia then Hull.

A very happy ship but the old grey cells are failing a little. The only names I can remember were: Dai Bowen - Master. Mr Sydney - CO, Ian Harrison - 2/O, Dave Fielden - 3/O. Chief STeward was the much mentioned Hank Otter. Mr Dewar - CE. Mr Small - Leckie. One of the deck cadets was Neil (forget his surname) but was from Hull.

Was sorry to leave that ship. Great voyage.

RM
Was the Silverleaf one of the first Silverline ships with a shaft generator? If my memory serves me correctly, she had a 55" Sunderland Forge dc shaft generator.
Was the C/O Bob Sydney from Darlington? Was Ian Harrison as quiet a young man as he was when older? Captain Hill always referred to Ian as "Smile awhile". I was C/E with Ian when he was in command of the managed "Carchester". Len Dewar was the C/E and Hank Otter the C/S on the Silvercrag on my first voyage in 1964. Capt. Hopkins was the Master
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:04

Silverleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurtis1 View Post
Was the Silverleaf one of the first Silverline ships with a shaft generator? If my memory serves me correctly, she had a 55" Sunderland Forge dc shaft generator.
Was the C/O Bob Sydney from Darlington? Was Ian Harrison as quiet a young man as he was when older? Captain Hill always referred to Ian as "Smile awhile". I was C/E with Ian when he was in command of the managed "Carchester". Len Dewar was the C/E and Hank Otter the C/S on the Silvercrag on my first voyage in 1964. Capt. Hopkins was the Master
Couldn't say about the shaft generator. It is now too far in the past.

The CO was Bob Sydney but not sure where he hailed from. Your description of Ian Harrison as a "quiet young man" sounds about right. I remember him as very softly spoken.

The deck cadet I referred to in my original post was Neil Nifton. There were three other deck cadets - Ti Ali from Iraq (but was living in UK). another was named Paul but cannot remember the surname but I can still picture him.

There were also 2 engineer cadets. One had the surname Carr (cannot remember his first name). The other I have no idea of his name except that he was Welsh.

Rgds
RM
Old 22nd August 2008, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodri Mawr View Post
Couldn't say about the shaft generator. It is now too far in the past.

The CO was Bob Sydney but not sure where he hailed from. Your description of Ian Harrison as a "quiet young man" sounds about right. I remember him as very softly spoken.

The deck cadet I referred to in my original post was Neil Nifton. There were three other deck cadets - Ti Ali from Iraq (but was living in UK). another was named Paul but cannot remember the surname but I can still picture him.

There were also 2 engineer cadets. One had the surname Carr (cannot remember his first name). The other I have no idea of his name except that he was Welsh.

Rgds
RM
Bob Sydney went on to command and a great bloke he was. Ti Ali, was Tariq Mohammad Ali Attaturk and I believe he was the grandson of President Attaturk of Iraq. He was on Silversand in 1964 along with another Iraqi cadet who if memory serves me correctly, was the son of the owner of a very large Baghdad Hotel. Considering Iraqs recent history, I often wonder what happened to those two lads
Regards
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:44
Sock Puppet account

If it the two Iraqi's I knew they both ended up as Tug Masters working for ADPPOC in the UAE. Ti died of a heart attack in the late 80s and the other lived in Cork and to my knowledge is still around.
Old 28th August 2008, 21:02

Good Evening One & All!

Can't say as I remember any of you chaps that have left messages here - but certainly recall some of the 'characters' that some of you have mentioned!

No doubt many of you Silver Line chaps will remember some of the names I'm going to mention here too!

Just looking through my Discharge Book now - joined "Silvercove" in Singapore in October, 1975 - left a month later in Hamburg - booked signed by the "Grocer" - no doubt long gone, but an absolute Gentleman by the name of Johnny Mcateer. One of the first Ships through Suez when it re-opened in 1975 - and got War-Bonus for going through!

Then "Silverclyde" in Birkenhead - December, 1975 - with Don Troup as the Old Man - who paid off in Cristobal - and relieved by none other that "Tuddy" Tuddenham! The Mate was Tony Green, who I became very good friends with - and who unfortunately passed away two years ago - God Bless him! I'm afraid good old Tony's fondness for 'The Famouse Grouse' was the end of him!

We did B'head, Corpus Christi, Panama, Japan, then returned to Baltimore where I left, prior to her going to the Great Lakes.

Joined 'Silver Eirik' at Kiel for the run to Europoort - Gdansk - Old Man was one Arthur Lowden! Geordie chap - very pleasant fellow, who used to go home loaded down to the gun'ls with "swag" from the Ship - radios, anything he could lay his hands on! And another - one Tommy Kirkpatrick! There's a name that no doubt many will remember???? Remeber the Mate at that time was Tony Burton, who lives in Wells or Glastonbury - and Bev Dyke, who relieved him, became the Old Man on the 'Altanin' - and got shot up in the Shat-Al-Arab - and abandoned the Ship there - in the company of John Snow (now Channel 4 News) - and the rest of the Officers and Crew!

Ended my Silver Line Days on the "Alva Sea" - Mike Guy being the Old man, who was at my wedding, 26 years ago, and with whom I still keep in touch. And the next Old Man being Jimmy Wyness who took over from Mike when he left the Ship in Ancona.

Good days - anyone remember the wonderful Miss Sally Smithers as she was then? Captain Corneius and one 'Ginger' Moxley in Personnel???

Amazing how it all comes back to you - more than 30 years ago too!

Kind Regards to anyone who recalls me!

Vince.
Old 28th August 2008, 23:03

Don Troupe another just a little too fond of the wee goldies. He was master on Taabo with Albert Trotter the C/E. Cap Troupe was relieved by Ronnie Safe who professed to having a certificate stating that he was sane. So sorry to hear of Tony Green, a sad loss. Wasn't it Jim Moxley in personnel and wasn't Steve Pile in personnel about that time too. Jim Punton was in the office about that time and left to join the ill fated "Gulf East" You are correct Vince, good days indeed
Old 29th August 2008, 00:43

Signed on the Sand in 59

I joined my first ship the 'Sand in 1959 as a deck cadet and followed it with the Fell, Weir(Maiden Voy) and the Brooke. Then they paid me really money when I joined the Crag as a 3rd mate in 63 I believe, Totem Queen ( later the 'Sea) , Aldersgate, Cove, Sand ( again) Cove again. There has to be more and I better look around for my Dischargebook. Any way i quit as C/O in 1972 and emigrated to Vancouver and married a Nurse from St Pauls Hospital.

There's a few of us ex Silver Line guys out here. Dick Chappell , Derrick Sinclair, Roy Harrison, Paul Lewis, Andy Bradley, Also ran in to an electrician from the Cove one day Pete, can't remember his name. One guy from the office Mike Jekyll.

Read through the rogues gallery i see quiet a few names I recognised.

Mike Smith was out here with his wife a couple of years ago and we had a couple of meals. Met Eddy Skinner in the office, no sign of Mary. I still exchange Xmas cards with Harry Lawson, from Pill Somerset!! ( pilots in the Britol Channel)

Harry Whitelaw was the oldman on the Silersea when we had him on charter once and Dia Bowen came in to Vancouver a number of years ago and we had lunch. Oh yes Mel Crawford was on a ship we chartered one.

That's the best I can recall

Electrician Dave Bucknall, tell him I should have cracked him when i had the chance

Last edited by Malcolm Metcalf; 29th August 2008 at 17:06..
Old 29th August 2008, 11:27

gavin brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Metcalf View Post
I joined my first ship the 'Sand in 1959 as a deck cadet and followed it with the Fell, Weir(Maiden Voy) and the Brooke. Then they paid me really money when I joined the Crag as a 3rd mate in 63 I believe, Totem Queen ( later the 'Sea) , Aldersgate, Cove, Sand ( again) Cove again. There has to be more and I better look around for my Dischargebook. Any way i quit as C/O in 1972 and emigrated to Vancouver and married a Nurse from St Pauls Hospital.

There's a few of us ex Silver Line guys out here. Dick Chappell , Derrick Sinclair, Roy Harrison, Andy Bradley, Also ran in to an electrician from the Cove one day Pete, can't remember his name. One guy from the office Mike Jekyll.

Read through the rogues gallery i see quiet a few names I recognised.

Mike Smith was out here with his wife a couple of years ago and we had a couple of meals. Met Eddy Skinner in the office, no sign of Mary. I still exchange Xmas cards with Harry Lawson, from Pill Somerset!! ( pilots in the Britol Channel)

Harry Whitelaw was the oldman on the Silersea when we had him on charter once and Dia Bowen came in to Vancouver a number of years ago and we had lunch. Oh yes Mel Crawford was on a ship we chartered one.

That's the best I can recall

Electrician Buchanan, tell him I should have cracked him when i had the chance
Ever come across Gavin Brown in Vancouver. Gavin was mate on the "Arapaho" and I think was a Silver Line Cadet, He married a Canadian girl and migrated to Vancouver, and I last heard he commanded a ferry out of that city.
Regards
Old 29th August 2008, 23:11
Active: 1957 - 1990

My location
Purely by coincidence in connection with another project I have just received a (Rather poor) picture of the SILVER LAUREL which was torpedoed and sunk 18th December 1944.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silver line.jpg (156.8 KB, 91 views)
Old 29th August 2008, 23:22

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersuk View Post
Purely by coincidence in connection with another project I have just received a (Rather poor) picture of the SILVER LAUREL which was torpedoed and sunk 18th December 1944.
Quite a nice design for the time.