Kuwait Shipping or UASC - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
06:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Kuwait Shipping or UASC

User Tag List

Old 27th May 2008, 20:44

Keckers
3 Feodosia. Al Ahamadiah, Al Shamiah & Al Rumithiah all converted to FCV in Cadiz.
Old 27th May 2008, 23:32

I'm sure it was the Al Shamiah I was on- the Medi to gulf run. Hated every second, in fact hated all the russian ships.
Old 28th May 2008, 10:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
I'm sure it was the Al Shamiah I was on- the Medi to gulf run. Hated every second, in fact hated all the russian ships.
Hi Keckers,

If it was Al Shamiah - then her callsign 9KCJ might ring a bell. Was it Marconi gear you had or still the russian equipment?

Old 19th July 2008, 19:46

hi HOWARD,
The al Sabahiah was the russian ship caught up in Basra at that time. I joined it in late 1983 as 3rd /eng. with Captain Jim Wilkie only two of us on board. A couple of the lads from the Ibn Al Haitham would come up to Basra every Friday and we would meet in the local office and then have lunch somewhere and a beer. We went down to the Haitham for xmas lunch. Shortly after xmas 6 of us were sort of arrested and carted off up to Baghdad, myself (Allan Walton), Captain Wilkie and from the haitham, Ian Laing ch/eng, jeff Lawson 3rd. eng, Billy Williams 4th. eng and Bob Barnard elect. Never came across any of those lads again except Capt. Wilkie when on my last trip 1986 in Santos I found out he was ill and visited him in hospital. Often wonder what became of those lads?

regards,
Allan W

Last edited by allan1948; 19th July 2008 at 19:49..
Old 21st July 2008, 20:57

Allen W
I knew all those guys very well unfortunatly like yourself I lost track of them. Jim Wilkie and I had some great times in drydock together, he was one of the good guys no airs and graces. I remember he was partner in a Chinese restaurant somewhre in Glasgow.
I was on the Al Sabahiah for two/three voyages. We where the first liner service out of Japan for KSC. Great voyage, I was 2/E, George Gregory C/E, and Brian Groom Master. Happy days although those Russian ships kept you busy.
Old 18th October 2008, 20:10

Ghyl Blundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileysan View Post
I remember he was ex Cunard on the intermediate vessels. He was from Formby.
I sailed with Ghyl Blundel 1967 and Jimmy McCall on the Al Rumathiah. Gil left to start a Bed and Breakfast Business I was told. A complete gentleman he inspired me to go up for my ticket. Jimmy McCall came from Kircaldy
Tont
Old 28th November 2008, 15:35

Hi Steve, I sailed with Brian when he was mate on the SALAMIAH in 1966,yes he was, and still is a a great character. I first met him when we were both in Nigerian National Line. Rember whacky Jacky and Capt (the con )Crennel.

Phil H.
Old 1st December 2008, 15:46

Hi Alan, Dont know if you remember me on the IBN HAZM 1986 down on the Brazil coast. Have a photo of you and a junior engineer on Copacobana beach.I was chief Engineer at the time. I remember most of the names on the site and keep in touch with three or four, I am sure you remember Capt Jim Wilkie from Glasgow, he sadly passed away last year.
Old 1st December 2008, 16:48

Any of you remember an Ihaq Kazi (Yemeni Master).
Old 1st December 2008, 20:47

Brian

Nice to see your name, been a long time. Re your post I saw George Donnison a few months ago still going strong. Willy Seybold last heard of in the IOM. Jack Duncan and Ron Crennall sure you have heard long time deceased.
Enjoying your retirement??
Old 2nd December 2008, 11:16

Sailed as a junior engineer on the Al Mubarakhia in '69. I remember George Gugala Alan Christie 2/e. I think the 4th was Jim Dyson and the Leccy was called Maurice. The old man was Capt. Nelson. Can see the Chief now but have forgotten his name, it was a long time ago but they were a good crowd.
Old 4th December 2008, 21:24

riley
Quite possibly C/E George Douglas. Have just heard the other day Capt. Nelson died. Great guy. Jim Dyson still going strong, unfortunatly Maurice Hennon (lecky) died couple of years ago.
I also remember Gugala and Alan Christie very well.
Old 5th December 2008, 03:24
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
Riley
Chief could have been Keith Dancey. I did the trip 1968/1969 paid off in Birkenhead in April while she was discharging chrome ore from LM. Maurice and Jim were going on leave to rejoin her.
Old 28th December 2008, 14:40

Ksc

Was 2/E on Al Salamiah in '77 on Jap coast. Went on razzle with the Chief on the Motomachi and ended up in Baileysans watering-hole. Demanded his bottle of Black & White whiskey, had a nip each, re-marked the level on the label and wrote "Howay the Lads". Giggled all the way back in the taxi, all innocent fun.
Old 6th January 2009, 20:08

I remember that episode in the murky past although I cannot place the name of who did the deed. A henious crime, although i did go through a few more bottles in later years.
Old 15th January 2009, 04:33

Tom Bailey,
John Pugh here, still in dxb but about to retire. Dave Short here in his own business. I am DPA, sorry DP World but now had enough of working. I see some names I remember. Capt. Bill Nelson as you know recently died. he actually only retired last year at 86 years old!!
Old 19th January 2009, 20:26

Kuwait Shipping CO

John

Nice to hear from you. I met up with David some years ago in Dubai when my son was working in Abu Dhabi. Give him my best regards,I hear good things about his company.
Sad about Bill Nelson, but what a life and the stories that could be told.
Not sure if you heard Maurice Hennon died couple of years ago, in Korea.
I was at a small KSC(UASC) get together in a Liverpool pub the other week. Rod Brockbank, Peter Nash, a few Liverpool Office guys plus one or two others.
Quite a few ex KSC get on this site, takes you back a while. My regards to all mutual aquaintances.
Keep in touch
Old 5th February 2009, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileysan View Post
Brian

Nice to see your name, been a long time. Re your post I saw George Donnison a few months ago still going strong. Willy Seybold last heard of in the IOM. Jack Duncan and Ron Crennall sure you have heard long time deceased.
Enjoying your retirement??
HelloTom,
Haven't been on the site for a while and just noted your reply, I keep in touch with Barry Barnes unfortunately he now has Parkinsons Disease, Don Warwick (Captain) lives in same village as Barry. Faik toney on the North Sea support vessels, Mike Hodder (Captain) enjoying retirement in Salcombe Devon. Albie has been in touch through site and am in touch with a George McBride who was with the company in the early seventies as a permit 2nd, maybe you remember him.
Old 6th February 2009, 19:34
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
Hi Tom,
Thought I would post you the names in that photo I sent you to see how many you got right, Left to right Harbour Master? Mayor of Kobe? You, Pete (Pip) Walton (Capt), John Lord (C/O), Miss Kobe, John Dyke (J/E), Dave Goodhand (C/E), Ian Askew (4/E), Clive Jones (2/O) , John Kinnard (Lecky), Me (3/E) Ron Parry (C/S). The ship was the ill- fated Ibn Al Beitar. If anyone spots their name and wants a copy of the photo send me a PM or email and I will forward it. I have another one taken the same day with Kevin Whittaker, John Lord, Don Ross (2/E), Ian Askew and Steve??? (J/E).
Looking at the number of hits that this page has had it would be interesting to see if we have a full crew to sail on of the small Russians amongst our readers. So come out of the woodwork and let's see if we can put together a motley crew. The only stipulation is you have sailed in the rank. We have you as Super (or stand-by Chief), need someone in personnel, I'll go 3/E, So lets go on a trip, Gulf, Mauritius (Golden Moon) Lourenco Marques (Trip up the river Incomati) and I am sure there are lots more places to remember. Not that anybody remembered much about Mauritius, the bouncers used to stand outside the Golden Moon throwing people in!!

Regards
Albie
Old 8th February 2009, 16:16

Brian
I have spoken to Barry, bad news re Parkinson, I see Fiak Tony every few months , we get together for a beer in Liverpool. I spoke to larry Blunt last few weeks he is in UK hope to meet up with him.
Old 8th February 2009, 16:18

Albie
Thanks your run down I had got a few names right but the memory banks fading.
Met Malcolm Hedley yesterday just retired, another oldie.
My computor out for a few days some problems however will keep in touch when up and running again
Old 13th February 2009, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Spittle View Post
I left Ibn Al Haitham in Kuwait 9/80 and a few days before she proceeded to Basrah and her fate. I was always fairly lucky like that; I left the Ibn Rushd before her grounding in Taiwan as well, and another (Ibn Sina maybe?) in Lisbon before she either grounded or had a collision in the Elbe.... I think. (I recall a comment made that it's fine to sail with him - just make sure you pay off when he does!!) Ibn Al Haitham was a happy ship - Capt. Wilkinson will forever stay in my memories! He was quite a character. I enjoyed my few years with UASC 79-84 after which I came ashore. Really I saw the end of the MN as we all knew it.
PS I believe one of the Russian built ships was caught up there with the Haitham?
The AL Sabahia was caught up the the 1st gulf war, I sailed on her and was expecting a long anchorage at the Shatt, however after a short stay (2 days) we proceded up the river to Basrah, I believe the Ibn Al Haitham was already at Umm Qaser as we past. The next couple od days were tense with a gun boat moored just up the river firing into space at about 4.30 every evening( it transpired that they were firing at a satelite) Cannot remember exactly how long we were alongside, however I have a good number of photos of a refinery being bombed and on fire. We heard that the haitham had been hit by a bomb or missile, and I believe that there was no casualities. As I said I cannot remember how long it was we were along side, On of our Junior engineers was transfered to the Haitham, and we were all taken by road back to Kuwait. Spent quite a long time at the kuwaiti / iraqi boarder trying to get through. When in Kuwait we were given our war bonus in cash, however somebody declaired it to HMRC and the rest is history. On a different tack I spent a good bit of time in Tiawan on the IBN Rushd prior to her undocking and trials after her serious grounding. Regards Phill
Old 13th February 2009, 10:20

Liverpool office "George Weston" or Monty weston and his flying juniors. He had more junior engineers in the air, than any of the ships. Good times
Old 22nd February 2009, 23:52

Hi Albie, You can put me down for R/O on M.V. Ibn Al Nostalgiah. ( I know they dont have R/Os anymore, but what the hell.)

I enjoyed five years (74-79) with KSC/UASC on Al Mansouriah, Al Aridhiah, Al Salimiah, Al Salehiah, Al Sabahiah, and Al Ahmadiah.

Cheers,

Fergus Kavanagh.
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:06

Any one out there know what happened to Frank Pinkey-Loftus Ch.Stwd sailed
with him a couple of times.

Iain T