training on the vindi - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
22:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

training on the vindi

User Tag List

Old 25th July 2013, 15:13
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1972

R815432 at the Vindi in 62 - 63 cannot remember which month or year, but i remember playing lights out and revaele on the bugle, and loading coal from the barge and scrubbing the decks of our billets, and being dressed in that surge navy blue suit with a beret. They were great days and stood me in good stead for my future at sea. Maiden voyage was on the last trip of the 'Reina del Mar' under the flag of i think she was then 'Royal Mail Lines' and then was bought by 'Union Castle', with Captain James. A true gentleman and scholar.
Old 25th July 2013, 15:45
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Hi R801487 here
I must have been on the Vindi just before you. That was in 1964.
My first ship was the Queen Mary, but a couple of years (Give or take) I was on the Reina Del Mar.
Battledress jacket & beret, horrid clothes. Remember Agate? Polishing floors? Night watches on board, which included the only decent meals, fry ups!
Counting down the Popeyes every week at the movie? Beans on toast at the Mission? I could go on forever. A hard place, but it stood me in good stead for a life at sea.
Old 29th July 2013, 11:00
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1968 - 1983

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
may till august 1963 i enjoyed my time there r 788576 deck been to the last 6reuions
I was there 1963 fromaugust tonovember my number is r789047 cheers gordon
Old 29th July 2013, 11:01
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1968 - 1983

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
may till august 1963 i enjoyed my time there r 788576 deck been to the last 6reuions
I was there 1963 fromaugust tonovember my number is r789047 cheers gordon
Old 29th July 2013, 12:14

I never attended a sea training school as such,going direct into the MN was these places as bad as some of you ex Vindi boys make out starved etc was it like services training or could you just walk away.KYPROS
Old 29th July 2013, 12:36
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypros View Post
I never attended a sea training school as such,going direct into the MN was these places as bad as some of you ex Vindi boys make out starved etc was it like services training or could you just walk away.KYPROS
Yeah You could walk away, but at your parents expense I think. They didn't issue a return rail warrant. The warrant in your mitt was a sure sign that you were going home, or onto a ship. Via the dreaded pool.
I certainly found it tough, tougher than any ship I was in, and a different world to the one that I was bought up in.
It stood me in good stead in later years though.
Old 27th December 2013, 23:07
Active: 1959 - 1964

R706100

NICKNAME COWBOY TERRY POWLEY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 555 View Post
hi,
i have just obtained a list of the people i trained with on the vindicatrix.
my registration number is R 693816.
are there any fellow trainees on this site,if so please get in touch,would love to hear from you
all the best
mike
Old 21st November 2016, 23:22

Iwason the vindi from oct to nov1958 never forgot that first meal it was the infamous scouse took one mouth full and nearly choked two seconds later an old boy said don't you want it new boy ,he scoffed it straight down ,it didn't take me long to be asking the same .hunger soon set in .Anyone remember Agates song. it went something like this
We're gonna join Old Agates navy up at 6'oclock, twice around the block, dirty great icicles hanging from your c**k,just a vest and shorts it was just about true In truth I loved every minute while there went in as a boy came out as a man ,discipline never did anyone any harm