Anybody out there from CP ships - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
00:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Anybody out there from CP ships

User Tag List

Old 15th April 2014, 17:42

If anyone is looking for the Canadian Pacific/CP Ships Timelink.org site which was being run by Marshal Christie, it is no more. I just had an e-mail back saying it was partly for cost and also it did not seem to work.
Old 15th April 2014, 18:04
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1959 - 1988

You 'youngsters' make me feel really old -- I sailed trainee R/O on the Beaverford/MQJG April '59 to Feb '60 -- Captain was L. Johnston
Old 18th April 2014, 01:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day sandy steel,m,16th april.2014.03:04.#52,re:quote,you "youngsters" make me feel really old.(april 59 feb 60)your just a young fella.i was on the beaverdale 1946/47.have a good day.regards ben27
Old 18th April 2014, 13:45
Active: 1975 - 1985

I went for an interview with CP. Unfortunately it was the day after my birthday and I wasn't in tip top condition. I didn't get the job
Old 21st April 2014, 11:10
Department: Engineering
Active: 1977 - Present

Hi
I was with Canadian Pacific from Cadetship all the way upto Sailing as Chief Engineer, 1977 to 1993
Only did 3 trips on tankers, the old Port Hawkesbury (1st trip out of cadetship) and a couple of the product tankers before being moved to the bulker fleet.
Then on various bulkers till they were all sold and then on the remaining container ships, which were being manned by Celtic Ship management.
The CanMar Victory (Later CanMar Valour) and the mighty CanMar Ambassador, in fact was Chief Engineer on the Ambassador on its last voyage with original CP officers onboard before she was handed over to Anglo Eastern ship management and we were all replaced with Indian officers.
I have some great memories of CP and its ships.
Old 21st April 2014, 12:38
Department: Electrician
Active: 1961 - 1964

Mr walter cartwright

I sailed on the empress boats and Beaver boats between 1961 and 1964 as an electrician.hope someone out there remembers me.
Old 13th May 2014, 16:13

Just stumbled across site with a lot of photos of CP ships, Beaverboats etc fm 1934 - 1990 which might be of interest to some who haven't found it. If you google:-
1934 to 1990 - Merchant Navy Officers
will bring up site :-
merchantnavyofficers.com/cp34
Old 19th June 2014, 01:04

Hi everyone my dad Fredrick Thomas Boyd (Tony) was a CE until he died in1979. I think his last trip was on Port Quebec....anybody remember him?
Old 20th June 2014, 22:26
Active: 1962 - 1978

Hi Brian,
Your dad was a lovely man. Really looked after his guys. He was Chief on the J.V. Clyne in 1971 (CP Ships) when I was 1st lecky. I Joined with my wife in Tilbury then to Jacksonville loaded rock phosphate for Port Moody. Discharged, then loaded forest products around Vancouver Island for UK/ Europe. Left in Ghent and flew back to UK. About 3 months round trip. Great times, sad that he has gone. Take care.
Les Gibson
Old 22nd June 2014, 00:05

Hi Les thanks for replying and that's lovely to hear, I was only 10 when he died and didn't really get a great chance to know him with him being away from home so often, but i was fortunate enough to spend a week in Denmark with him (whilst Port Quebec was being built? I was very young and remember going to a ship yard and being shown about). I also spent a weekend in Tilbury docks on board, happy days.
Cheers Brian
Old 22nd June 2014, 02:51
Active: 1975 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by firey View Post
I sereved on the following ships in the early 80's.

Fort Coulonge,Fort Steele, Fort Edmonton, Forty Hamilton,Dart Atlantica and CP Ambassador.

Sadly conditions changed,shoreside was more appealing and along came the kids.

CP still a big company but now mainly with foreign officers and crew, still sponser British cadets but don't expect a job at the end.
How things have changed.Progress? see thread for CP Valour. You only reap what you sow. I'm disappointed CP but am I jumping the gun it may have been an unavoidable accident?

Firey
leo roberts i was cook on the fort garry ,f rouge , g,a, walker , ceder{c.p.}voyager ,dart adlantic, enjoyed my time with cp
Old 30th June 2014, 12:29
Active: 1970 - 1985

Hi Brian
I was REO on Port Quebec in Sept Isles when your dad died. The night before we were all in the bar and I remember Fred saying "I will be glad when I retire and can have a drink". He was a quiet gentle man and one that everyone respected and liked. The old man was Carl Prakel and was also a great old man. That day someone noticed that the chief was missing and found him in his cabin and wasn't responsive. We were at anchor by this time and the old man called the Canadian Coast guard on VHF but they said to keep giving him oxygen and they would get there as soon as they could. Hours went by and our oxygen was running out and Captain Prakel was going crazy that the CG couldn't come out. He tried everything and those working on your dad did all they could. It was hours later when they turned up. The old man tore into them but it did no good. What they were up to that day I don't know but it was to their shame. I guess we were clutching at straws to try and get him help but I think the damage had been done before we found him. It was a very sad day for all and sending the telegrams and phone calls equally so. All I can say is that his shipmates tried everything to get him help.
He had a wicked wit and was a great shipmate and we all mourned his passing.
Bill Bonner
Old 30th June 2014, 17:23
Department: Deck
Active: 1979 - 1982

Hi Les

Know this is an old thread, but can You remember a chief engineer who also stood by in Japan for CP called Eric Wilson. He was my father in law. He sadly passed away in 2007. I was also on board the CP discoverer for a couple of trips in 1982. I still see his mate Capt Moat (Moaty) from time to time.
Old 30th June 2014, 18:30
Active: 1975 - Present

i was on them boats . leo roberts cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetura View Post
Hello Firey, I sailed with CP from 82 till 84 as an AB. Sailling on the Fort Garry, G.A. Walker(during the Falklands),Fort Rouge and the Dart Atllantica. It was alright to start with but after two years I,d had enough and I jumped ship in Singapore. " Nice flight home " !!! REGARDS Trevor.
now then trever i was on all the above mentioned ships took my redundancy ,but went back to do a one off on the dart adlantic did i know you i was on the fort garry from trip one with uk raitings had mario as 2nd cook lots of taffs and a bloke called bill condon as bosun
i did enjoy all that philapines bit , also on the rouge , 2 times on the walker , and other ships left in 86
Old 30th June 2014, 18:31

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyd View Post
Hi everyone my dad Fredrick Thomas Boyd (Tony) was a CE until he died in1979...anybody remember him?
Hi Brian
Attached is a very blurry photo taken at Xmas 1968 aboard HR MacMillan in Pt Alberni BC.
To the left of Capt Brown, I'm sure is Fred. Also in the pic is Ross, 2nd Eng. & Jeff, 3rd Eng ( with beard). I'm the guy with the big white face.
As the ship was still under warranty from the Mitsubishi shipyard in Hiroshima, a company representative was also carried, also pictured. Although he seemed to enjoy the Xmas fare, he usually lived on lots of rice. He carried his own huge supply and occasionally in the sunny tropics he would spread it all out on one of the hatches and we'd all watch the weevils wiggle away.
Fred was a really nice person. My cabin was next door. Most evenings at sea four of them( Capt C/Off Fred & 2nd Eng) would gather in his cabin to play Bridge. Not me - I was working! This ship was also my introduction to CP Ships, of which I have fond memories.
Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xmashrmac1968ptalberni.jpg (184.6 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by IMRCoSparks; 1st July 2014 at 00:24..
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:39

Muggsy you old seadog!!
Yes that is Fred Boyd next to BOH Brown. Hope you are well and enjoying life in Canada. Kyoko and I have just celebrated 45 years of marriage, went back to Japan for that.
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:43

Reply to DRL
Eric and I were good friends and he was a great boss. When we sailed together he was always 'Chief' but Eric when just the two of us off the ship. Sad to hear of his passing. Have you got a contact for 'Moaty'? Sailed with him a couple of times and he came out to Japan to join one of the new ships.
Take care
Les
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:28

I was with CP from75 to 86,but the only name I recognise in the thread is Lucy Knight, who I sailed with but can't remember which ship....
I started as 2/E on the Alaska with Alexander Stephenson as Chief and Akasaka Shaw 2nd Mate. I really enjoyed being in a "proper company" and saw out my seatime for 8 years as Chief before taking the redundancy package in '86.
Sailed on Macmillan(2) (stuck up the Shat El Arab) and Clyne, Macleod(4), Emerson(2), Mather(2), Calgary,(3) Yale (may have missed a few) ending up with the Disco and Trader laid up in vdWetering and finally sailing the Trader out after a crankshaft regrind. Only CP man I am still in touch with is Geoff Wright. Hopeless with names but remember quite a few faces!
Stephen Carey
Old 12th August 2014, 18:01
Active: 1955 - 1986

I sailed with C.P. ships for 25 years.Passenger boats to Containers and clean product boats.
Old 12th August 2014, 18:14
Active: 1955 - 1986

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKnight View Post
If anyone is looking for the Canadian Pacific/CP Ships Timelink.org site which was being run by Marshal Christie, it is no more. I just had an e-mail back saying it was partly for cost and also it did not seem to work.
Shame...... I looked forward to reading it seeing who was still with us and who had crossed the bar.
Old 5th September 2014, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Scriven View Post
Shame...... I looked forward to reading it seeing who was still with us and who had crossed the bar.
It was actually a full list. It only contained the names of those still in the CP pension fund.
Old 1st October 2014, 22:05
Active: 1981 - 1988

Hello, I was with CP Feb 81 - June 87 as R/O, sailed on Disco, Trader, Voyager, Dart Boats, Geared Bulkers, Product Tankers. Recently found a large number of "Sea News" magazines, which I have saved in pdf, if anyone is interested?
Was going to send them to Timelink site, but sadly is no more..
Regards
Old 2nd October 2014, 07:29

My location
You can open your own dropbox account and make it open to readers here
Old 3rd October 2014, 14:48
Active: 1981 - 1988

SEANEWS COPIES AVAILABLE - PLEASE FOLLOW THE DROPBOX LINK BELOW

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z8kf9nmtz...Xnqisk3pa?dl=0

I will upload what I have by this evening.

Enjoy

Regards Martin H
Old 3rd October 2014, 23:45

Many thank's Martin. I left CP to come ashore in 1978 after 10 wonderful years. Just glanced through one or two of the 'mags' and great to see familiar faces and ships. Thank's again.
Take care
Les