Sea Scouts or Sea Rangers? - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
06:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sea Scouts or Sea Rangers?

User Tag List

Old 3rd May 2013, 23:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by les4736 View Post
I have been in touch with Mike and Val and should be meeting them in My. I know them from the days when I was in the 56th. I lost all contact with every one when I joined the Royal Navy in 1958, at last I have found someone from the good old days. If you do hear anything please let me know.
Further info about the 35th and 56th Westminster Sea Scouts.

Most of those with whom my old searanger skipper (Vera C-H) is in contact did not go into either the Merchant or Royal Navy.
Several, alas, have died, such as Denis Besant, who was one time Group Scout Leader of the 35th. He was unusual in joining the ranks and becoming an officer during National Service. Vera recently met up with Peter Gately who did long service in the RN and would contact anyone who knew him.

For the records the Sea Rangers had an MTB (no. 630) which was moored on the River dart at Dartmouth and on which the Quen (Princess Elizabeth) and Princess Margaret enjoyed some of their sea-rangering time.

Mike Nadin was at the London Nautical School with Ted Treacher who now lives in Vancouver and I understand is very ill.

Whilst the Sea Rangers and Sea Scouts continue to flourish, SRS Drake, 35th and 56th Westminster seascout groups are all now closed.
Old 4th May 2013, 09:30
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1971

I remember Peter Gately - I have a photo of him sailing on Decoy Broad at a summer camp. When we (35th) had the HQ over the swimming pool in Victoria Street I there was another leader with the surname of 'Best' but I can't remember his christian name.

I also have an old photo of some of us at Scout HQ in London with Stan Pink (who I belive went into the marines) and Bruce Finlayson (not sure if I spelt it right).
Old 10th March 2014, 14:29
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1962

Can anyone tell me were I can find Ian Allan a member of the 35th Westminster sea scouts from the 50s
Old 10th March 2014, 19:08

Quote:
Can anyone tell me were I can find Ian Allan a member of the 35th Westminster sea scouts from the 50s
It was before my time but have made some enquiries and will let you know outcome.
Old 11th March 2014, 09:59

Thank you any information would be great as I have been looking for him for the past 40 years.
Old 11th March 2014, 14:20

Quote:
Thank you any information would be great as I have been looking for him for the past 40 years.
I had e-mailed someone (Mike Nadin) who, when he responded, said that he had meet with an old friend of Ian's whose name was Les! I then remembered your 'logon' and now wonder are you 'one and the same'? If so then regret have not be able to assist.

But a year ago I did have a similar situation in that in my late Father's (ex Army) effects I found some original (WW2) medals belonging to another soldier. I managed to have some success via some army forums (where I was allowed to register as non-army). Have you tried any RAF forums I see there are some about on the web?

Once again sorry not able to assist.

Regards

Richard
Old 11th March 2014, 16:35
Active: 1980 - 1990

Sea Cadets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
Was anyone on SN in either the Sea Scouts or the Sea Rangers before they went to sea professionally?

I was a Sea Ranger for 4 years (1968-72 in SRS Drake, Westminster) before I became a deck cadet.

The Sea Rangers were originally part of the Girl Guides but they split off and continue to operate in the south of England only as a freestanding youth organisation for girls. The Sea Scouts of course continue to operate all over the UK and are mixed nowadays.

It was a great preparation in the practical boatwork before I went to sea. Happy days.
I did 3 years in the Sea Cadets, and it stood me in good stead for when I joined the Royal Navy!
Always remember in basic training ( HMS Raleigh) our instructor picked up a sailors collar and asked us all if anyone knew how to put one on. Of course I knew, so I wa simmediately made the class leader!
Old 11th March 2014, 16:58

Yes I am the Les that Mike Nadin spoke about, Ian and I were mates for years until I joined the RN and Ian in the RAF.
Thanks anyway
Regards Les
Old 12th March 2014, 02:40
Active: 1953 - 1981

Pre-Sea Volunteer Corps.....

In my part of the world in the early 50s there were no Sea Scouts or Sea Rangers, just the good old Sea Cadet Corps which met twice a week in the harbour area in a former military barracks and had a sea-going motor launch and a couple of pulling boats (whalers and dhories).

I left the Boy Scouts because I was interested in a sea-going career (I was 12!) and spent four glorious years with the SCC rising to the giddy rating of Quartermaster Leading Seaman and being part of the Queen's Guard at Hollyrood House in 1953 with a couple of trips to London and Pompey on courses: gunnery at Whale Island and Q/M on HMS "Jamaica". Even attended the Spithead Review aboard HMS "Wakefull"

It was a great experience and prepared me absolutely for a career at sea. In fact when I obtained my Second Mate's I received the Ship's Society (?) binoculars at a very pleasant parade at the Ayr Mountbatten Sea Cadet Corps which was one of the hightlights of my early seafaring career.

Last edited by Alistair Macnab; 12th March 2014 at 02:46..
Old 19th April 2014, 14:45

Quote:
Yes I am the Les that Mike Nadin spoke about, Ian and I were mates for years until I joined the RN and Ian in the RAF.
Thanks anyway
Regards Les
Hi Les I know how frustrating it can be as I have been searching for my paternal grandfather for many years. Despite having access to various genealogy websites my family have had no success although it has not been aided by the fact that my father was christened with a different surname to that he was born with!.

Regards

Richard
Old 19th April 2014, 22:49
Active: 1965 - 1970

I was a Sea Scout with the 1st Barmouth Troop from about 1962 until I joined BP as a Navigating Apprentice in 1965. The troop leader was an ex-RN gunnery petty officer who gave us a good grounding in seamanship and boat handling all of which stood me in good stead when I joined the Merch. I wouldn't have missed my time as a Scout for anything!

Richard R617629
Old 2nd May 2014, 01:41
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1971 - Present

Sea Scouts, late 60's.
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:49
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

My father was a Boy Scout in the Manor Park St Mary's troop in London. This was the same troop that WW1 Victoria Cross winner seaman Boy Jack Cornwell belonged to. Dad was almost two years younger but often told me the story of JC when I was young and the lad became my hero when I found an account of his bravery and a war artist's painting of Jack at his post in Arthur Mee's Children's encyclopaedia .
I longed to join a scout troop in NZ but was unable to do so until we left the isolation of the country and came to live in Auckland at age 13. Meantime Dad bought me a copy of English publication "How and Why for sea scouts" , for my 10th birthday , an odd publication to find in print staved bookshops in NZ during WW2.
My mates, my younger brother and I poured over the contents and
soon learnt to tie most of the knots, got some roughly right semaphore messages to one another across a big paddock and made progress with the Morse code by using torchlight
The other fascination came from the chapter explaining how to sail a small boat to windward, a frustrating discovery when you had no boat and the only water was the swimming hole that we had made by damming up the local creek or the seasonal flood waters in the paddocks. I eventually became a second class scout with the Devonport Auckland troop and with a few badges before becoming distracted to other areas of youth activities.
I recall Dad saying that some of the Ranger Scouts from the Manor Park troop went with Captain Scott to the South Pole on his ill fated voyage and when they arrived back in England they lectured several scout groups about their adventures.

Bob

I
Old 19th November 2014, 05:46
Active: 1966 - 1999

I too joined both the Sea Scouts and the Sea Cadets whilst still a young teenager. Left the scouts to go to the cadets. I lived in Wandsworth - the borough, not the prison :-) Was in Putney Sea Cadets TS Beverly if memory serves and we had a WW2 MTB to work with also !
Had some great times in the Sea Cadets - actually got HMS Ganges (seaman's course) and also down to Plymouth (or maybe Portsmouth) to do a PTI course in the Barracks. Had a great time and mixed with real navy full timers.
From the Sea cadets I went to sea as an engineering cadet with a major company and eventually become C/E at 31 years of age. I emigrated to Canada in 1976 and retired from sailing on ships in 1999 and completely retired in 2005.
The sea scouts and sea cadets played a major role in my early life and if the truth be known, probably stopped me from getting into trouble with the authorities.

Cheers
Old 19th November 2014, 20:38
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Macnab View Post
In my part of the world in the early 50s there were no Sea Scouts or Sea Rangers, just the good old Sea Cadet Corps which met twice a week in the harbour area in a former military barracks and had a sea-going motor launch and a couple of pulling boats (whalers and dhories).

I left the Boy Scouts because I was interested in a sea-going career (I was 12!) and spent four glorious years with the SCC rising to the giddy rating of Quartermaster Leading Seaman and being part of the Queen's Guard at Hollyrood House in 1953 with a couple of trips to London and Pompey on courses: gunnery at Whale Island and Q/M on HMS "Jamaica". Even attended the Spithead Review aboard HMS "Wakefull"

It was a great experience and prepared me absolutely for a career at sea. In fact when I obtained my Second Mate's I received the Ship's Society (?) binoculars at a very pleasant parade at the Ayr Mountbatten Sea Cadet Corps which was one of the hightlights of my early seafaring career.
Couldn't agree more . The SCC was a fine organisation, but sadly here in NZ it is the least represented of the 3 corps, due in some part to the removal of NZ Defence Force support in the funding area. Also the over the top absurdity of Safety/Health regs have taken away the adventure and challenge of many activities, to take the cadets sailing you need to spend as much time filling in forms regarding what to do in case of this that or the other!
I spent 14 years as a Cadet Force Officer, retiring as a Lt.Cdr in 2000. We had the best of the days and my son sailed into the RNZN very well prepared for navy life.
I think technlogy and computers etc, etc have softened our youth, who show little desire to participate in any non sporting activities.
Old 20th November 2014, 03:41
Active: 1965 - 1975

Spent a few years in the sea cadets in Cape Town in the late 50's early 60's. We were based in a stone frigate in Cape Town docks. Used to do a lot of sailing in whalers, using the indoor shooting range, 4'' gun practice and all the usual navy drills etc. Also went on an annual trip to the Navy training base at Saldhana Bay, which was good fun. Stood me in good stead when I had to do my National service, which I elected to do in the Navy, as I knew that I was going to go into the MN eventually.
Old 20th November 2014, 19:47
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Re my post #40 regarding youth. This is not correct, as many youth do participate in sport, but there seems to be a lack of any desire to engage in sporting alternatives.
Not that long ago Cadets/Scouts/Rangers etc filled that need, but seem to have fallen by the wayside.
Old 13th February 2016, 22:02

3rd tyne sea scouts

I remember this well I was active with 3rd tyne sea scouts from 1944-54 travelling to Sweden on The Henry Frederick Swan in 1950 which I have been to see while being renovated in south shields and hopefully to be re-launched spring 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
I was in the Sea Scouts 3rd Tyne. Our Hut was at Scotswood up here in Newcastle. I loved it and ended up with my Chief Scouts award which was given out at a ceremony at Newcastle Guild Hall.

Many years later my Dad was invited as guest of honour to the Whitley Bay Gang show (he was in Tynemouth Sea Scouts as a youngster) and one of the dignatries he met said to me "good grief, the last time I saw you was probably 30 year ago when you got your Chief Scout award". Now that did make me feel my age.
It was a great grounding doing the Sea Scouts, we were loosely connected to The Red Seal Rescue unit based at Wallsend so spent a bit of time mucking about there. One of our strengths was the amount of sailing we did, Bob Armstrong our Scout Leader was a very keen sailor and we sailed most weekends. I was working towards my RYA but the intervention of going to sea for a living prevented me getting the sailing time in.
We were also Admiralty recogognized and I think we were the nigh on the last troop to have that badge of recognition in the North East. I remember the Admiralty visits and the painstaking preperation to be up to standard.
I'd love to hear from anyone that was connected to the 3rd Tyne and remembers me. I've completely lost touch with all those from back then.
Old 13th February 2016, 22:24
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Smile Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie81 View Post
I remember this well I was active with 3rd tyne sea scouts from 1944-54 travelling to Sweden on The Henry Frederick Swan in 1950 which I have been to see while being renovated in south shields and hopefully to be re-launched spring 2017
Eddie,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership.
Old 19th February 2016, 13:54
Active: 1950 - 1996

I was a Member Of The 63rd Sunderland Sea Scouts, We were Admiralty reconised just after the war we were given a 27 foot whaler which we sailed and also rowed up the river wrear a good time was had by all, I was in the scouts for over 10 years then joined the MN as a junior engineer, ending up as Chief Engineer I retired after forty years at sea, great times, I have many fond memories.
Old 20th February 2016, 13:42
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1985

Was in the 9th Ipswich Sea scouts in the 60s. Learned to row and sail in Martlesham creek and the River Deben. All down hill from there and still going downhill now. Decoy broad stirs up some memories of summer camp at Woodbastwick Norfolk. We terrorized the broads for a week supplied the mossies with all the blood they could ever want and had a great time. A few regattas at HMS Ganges. Those whalers were fun to row even though the oars were like telegraph poles. I really enjoyed it as it was the only way I could get afloat. Eventually left and joined the Orwell canoe club and spent the next 6 years mainly under water.

Last edited by Bill.B; 20th February 2016 at 13:45..
Old 21st March 2016, 08:47
Active: 1953 - 1959

Circa 1946-48 I was in the 1st. Tyne Sea Scout Troop headquartered in Newcastle upon Tyne in an old pub called the George & Dragon located on the Forth Banks. The Troop had a second facility at Blyth in an old Ice House where we would spend weekends.
An uncle of mine got me to join, he had been in the troop when he was a lad.
The scoutmaster was a retired Royal Navy Commander called S.D.Newton but was known as 'Uncle', and was a bank manager. He owned a 55 foot Yawl named 'Gladwyena' and month long cruises to Scotland were usually taken in the summer. The Troop also had a whaler, couple of rowboats, and other bits & bobs.
Uncle had a reputation for using a cane on the boys who breached the rules(I know I got plenty of strokes).
It was during my time in the sea scout that I grew to love the sea & ships and it was responsible for my decision to go to sea, and responsible for my long career at sea, and in yacht building.
Old 21st March 2016, 17:39
Department: Purser
Active: 1960 - 2000

Sea Cadets?

I was lucky enough in 1958 at the age of 14 ,to Join the Royal Naval Air cadets at H.M.S Sanderling, Abbotsinch. (now Glasgow Airport)
It was a Fleet air arm base then,our watch was H.M.S Ark royal, Still have my base card.
During the summer holidays we were taken up to Faslane to a Submarine depot Ship. HMS Adamant.We were also allowed on Board H.M.S Duke of York which was lying up , waiting to be scrapped. a mighty ship indeed.
There are some photos of us all in the Scottish Daily Record , of the cadets ,on the day when Lord Mountbatten came to visit the base.
I piped him on board,(Our Hut !!!!) was classed as our ship.Still got the bosun's whistle.
Great Days, Even remember going round the ship builders in Paisley,from what I remember they only built coasters
We had days out on the rifle range.Ican't imaging H&S nowadays allowing kids to fire 303's
All run by a Sub Lt Huck and the Ab'S on the base.
I unfortunately didn't get to join the RAF eyes weren't good enough so joined the MN ,
Old 21st March 2016, 18:56

this brings back memories, I served on HMS Adamant stationed at Isle of Bute mid 1956 before moving onto the reserve fleet at Portsmouth.
Old 21st March 2016, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
Was anyone on SN in either the Sea Scouts or the Sea Rangers before they went to sea professionally?

I was a Sea Ranger for 4 years (1968-72 in SRS Drake, Westminster) before I became a deck cadet.

The Sea Rangers were originally part of the Girl Guides but they split off and continue to operate in the south of England only as a freestanding youth organisation for girls. The Sea Scouts of course continue to operate all over the UK and are mixed nowadays.

It was a great preparation in the practical boatwork before I went to sea. Happy days.
10th Hampstead. I learned to scull and row on the Thames at Kingston. I, also, became a swimmer (never very good, though). I learned to sail on the Norfolk Broads. Great days.