Panocean Shipping & Terminals Ltd - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
05:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Panocean Shipping & Terminals Ltd

User Tag List

Old 4th February 2008, 00:15

Hiya Willie Mac I sailed with Panocean Anco (formerly Athel Line) in the 70`s on Anco Empress Anco Sovereign Anco Princess Anco Stane
Old 23rd February 2008, 18:15

PanoceanAnco ships

Hi all,
It's good to see there's quite a following here after so many years of silence on PanoceanAnco ships of the 70's.
I too sailed on various Post/Anco ships, as a Redifon R/O, finally settling for the Pass of Balmaha when the first nipper came along and then gave up to go shore-side with the sinking Wandsworth radio company.
Wish I'd stayed at sea a few more years and taken more pictures with a better camera.....
Stuck some memories on a website for anyone interested (www.merchantnavy.btinternet.co.uk) - grainy pictures and the odd crew list for the period 1975 to 1978 ish.

Now passing away the days on a narrowboat "Balmaha", had to paint it green cos the missus wouldn't agree to orange.

Mo
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:10

Mo Many thanks for all the pictures especially of the Balmaha. My favourite ship of all time.Was on her from 27 2 80 until 26 9 83. Champion also
brings back happy memories. Served on her as the Post Champion, Anco Champion and Iver Champion.Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Best wishes,
bert.
Old 12th March 2008, 20:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazB View Post
Hi Herbie
Bob Dewsbury, now there's a name from the past. Bosun on Athelqueen back in 1979. Remember him standing on the top of one of the maindeck derrick masts, swaying back and fore with the roll of the ship and nothing to hold onto! Also remember him collapsing while tank cleaning in Portugal and having to get him out of the tank, heavy guy, luckily he was ok. As you say, great times.
Regards, Barry.
Barry,
That incident with Big Bob Dewsbury happenned a day after I joined in Oporto.
I had been 10 days stuck in a hotel with JD and his Wife (Nancy?) and another Operator who's name escapes me.
Never saw Bob again, great lad who was AB on my very first trip to sea on the Empress in 1974. Looked out for me that trip and his sense of humour was something that I will always keep with me.
Regards, Jasper.
Old 12th March 2008, 22:50

My location
Hello Jasper,

Have your dart skills improved any in the last 29 years?????

Barry.
Old 14th March 2008, 22:33

Hi folks,

Came acroos this site when researching past ships, served with Panocean from 1974 until 1979. Don't recognise any names, but it was a while ago. What I do know was that I was 4th Mate of the Athelqueen when the bosun, who I presume was Bob Dewsbury, was overcome in the tank. That was my last trip with Panocean Anco, as it became, hope Bob made a full recovery.
Not sure if anybody remembers me, full name Malcolm Murray.

Malcolm
Old 15th March 2008, 08:22

My location
Hi Malcolm

Don't remember you but it was a long time ago. As for Bob he was taken to hospital but returned before we sailed. After a couple of days he was his usual self.

Barry.
Old 16th March 2008, 12:24

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the info about Bob. I do remember him returning to the ship. I check my book and I think the next port after was Hamburg and I paid off there.

Malcolm
Old 16th March 2008, 12:44

My location
Hi Malcolm

Yes Hamburg was the next port. I stayed on for a second trip when most of you paid off there.
Prior to Portugal we'd been up to the Gulf which came as a bit of a shock after our regular St. Croix - New York run.

Barry.

Last edited by BazB; 16th March 2008 at 14:19..
Old 18th March 2008, 13:20

A few blasts from the past:

Capt Terry(?) Luke... old school and professional
Capt Edward (Piggy?) Grant... the total opposite
Duncan... a BIG scots AB/bosun(?) who looked just like Hagrid from H.Potter

... and then there was Ray (speedy Gonzales) the little rotund, older, Argentinian(?) permanent 3rd officer ops (or maybe 4oo uncertified ?).
Old 18th March 2008, 13:32

Then there were the ships:

The Anco Empress... flooded a pumproom pre-Panama, put the anchor thro' the bow in the Pacific (limped back to San Francisco), then had a boiler explosion alongside in Japan.

The Athelqueen... new (old) 1st mate (ex T&L returning after years ashore) pumped out enough cargo (petrol?) in error off Sicily from 8 port (also the ballast tank) that there was a 3' list all the way to R'dam.

The Enterprise... the flagship!

Anyone recall which ship it was that ran up the beach somewhere in the South Seas and had to be towed (to Singapore?) for repairs? Any pictures (think it was in the co. newsletter)?
Old 19th March 2008, 06:16

Hi Barry,
We all missed the Pina Coladas on Buck Island when we were up the Gulf.

Malcolm
Old 19th March 2008, 06:27

Tamboo,

Was with "The Iron Duke" (twice) on the Empress also briefly with Peter Grant, also the Empress I think
Old 18th May 2008, 11:40

Hi,
Just found this site, was with Panocean from 78 - 83, had almost forgotten about the Chelsea "Pensioner" Pioneer, did 2 months on her most of that spent at anchor in Sicily, crew mutiny, very interesting times. Remember putting her to rest in Pireus, stern too, spent christmas there and just made it home for new year, interested to learn she was later moved. Had a great time with Panocean and met some great people, liver just about recovered now.
Old 13th July 2008, 16:54

hello you lot not heard a lot about you for a long time. I have just starting e mailing John Webster I found him from searching through the internet

all the best Jeff Quinn
Old 14th July 2008, 08:46

Jeff.
Was John Webster a bosun. Seem to recall the name and sure we sailed together on the Champion

Best wishes

Bert.
Old 14th July 2008, 19:17

Yes Bert lives in Nottingham I had a long chat with him the other week.

Jeff
Old 16th September 2008, 18:15

Hi Guys, I worked for P&O as an R/O and sailed on POST CHAMPION as a Communications Officer from around Apr/May 1973 until about May/Jun 1974. Those were exciting days. After that I went back to P&O passenger liners. Cheers, Steve
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1975 - 1978

Hello, did a trip on the Post Champion march 1977 to Aug.'77 as R/O on secondment from P&O GCD, great trip, brilliant ship, best trip I ever did. Joined Rotterdam did a round the world jaunt ended up in Liverpool, superb.
Junior R/O with me on that trip was Brian Nickerson from Bacton, Norfolk.
Old 13th October 2008, 20:05

Hello there,
I was on the MV Postrunner on first voyage under Panocean flag in late 1971 as 2nd Officer (Services) in other words Purser/CS. She was old Norwegian ship because new builds were delayed,joined in Rotterdam and sailed out to Far East for palm oil. Chinese crew my first.... Really great crowd of officers and cadets. Captain or Ship Manager under new termology by Panocean was Ken Tree who was accompanied by his French wife. I got in touch recently with one of engineers Ray Morton commonly known as Gypsey Ray. All the wives were flown out by company to Lisbon on return leg, rough trip across bay, and most left hurriedly at Port Sunlight insteadof going round to London. About ten later held reunion at my wifes guesthouse in Bridlington, she was never able to use guestbook register again after some of the comments. Great ship,really great crowd.
Stuart Henderson
Old 14th October 2008, 08:54

Greetings Stuart
Glad to see that there are still some of us around.
Your career seems very varied and interesting
Enjoy your retirement
Best wishes
Bert.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:02

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert thompson View Post
Greetings Stuart
Glad to see that there are still some of us around.
Your career seems very varied and interesting
Enjoy your retirement
Best wishes
Bert.
Thanks Bert,am enjoying this new experience (SN) but not very good with all this modern technology,
Stuart
Old 8th March 2009, 05:58

Just came across this site and some of the names mentioned ring a bell. I worked for Panocean from 78 to 85 sailing on Athelmonarch,EndeavourX3,StaneX2,Enterprise,Charge r(falklands),Templar,Princess Sceptre. Started out as Engine room op and ended up the last few years as Cargo mech (pumpman). Them years in them ships were great times enjoyed every minute,some of the antics i still laugh about now. A Few of the lads I remember, Billy and Stu Evans,Ian Dalgetty,Gary Bohanna,Jasper,Mick Boughton(Beast),Pete buxton,jimmy mackay,bob dewsbury,dennis evans,les faulkner,tommy scully,karl hamilton,eddy staite, not bad for 24 years ago i suppose. Hope everyone is keeping OK.

Dave Hall.
Old 25th March 2009, 13:36

My location
Just added photographs of Anco Charger, Anco Sovereign & Anco Endeavour to gallery, may be of intrest to viewers of this thread.

Barry.
Old 25th March 2009, 21:16
Organisation: Coastguard
Active: 2001 - Present

Barry, great to see some photos of the Anco ships. Brought back a few memories. The family can't work out why am so nostalgic over some pictures.

Looked at the crew lists on the Merchant navy website. There was one for the Anco Duchess for the summer we joined Dad. She was in dry dock in Cardiff during the drought of 1976. The old mans family joined as well so there was a few of us youngsters onboard. Very happy times.