Ships Nostalgia banner

Larrinaga ss company

9K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Lofty Arundell 
#1 ·
What happened to Larrinaga Line, I served my time there and stayed till Second Mate, serving on the Richard de Larninaga and Niceto de Larrinaga, last voyage two years long.(Ouch) Frank Waring

#4 ·
I do not know how Larninagas actually finished, i do recall an advert in a newspaper for an upmarket auction house in Chester, stating that fine objects and paintings from Larninagas house were going under the hammer. I estimate it was some period in the early seventies.
Their house in Carnatic Road Mossley Hill, Liverpool has been a nursing home for many years now. The present owner is a friend of mine, when she bought it there was in a locker in the basement full of seamens wage accounts plus photos of all their ships. I was promised that I could have them as she did not have the key on her person at the time it was arranged for a later date. Sadly about 3 months later when we opened it all the contents were gone and she said she did not know what became of them. I suspect she had the locker emptied and the contents put in a skip but would not admit to it.
In the basement there were many lockers and alleyways just like a ship, plus a walk in safe and a huge cast iron boiler. In the roof space the roof trusses were steel, painted red oxide with the steel manufacturers name stamped on them Dormon Long Middlesburgh, obviously steel leftover from one of their ships that was built.
The name of the home is Redbourne whether that was the name in the Larininagas era I cannot say, it has been changed quite a lot with extensions and a bungalow built in the grounds hidden by a wall and seperated from the existing building. But in its day it was an imposing house and gardens very secluded and private.

#5 ·
Hello Frank.

We met somewhere in La Guaira - I was master of a CAVN charter ship called Sig Ragne - early 79 according to my discharge book.

You had a Greek Wilhemsen ship chartered back in port when I met you.

Good to hear of you again - I trust you are keeping well.

Best regards,

Roddie MacKenzie.

#7 ·
It is a few years back but I remember the greek vessel very well when it came to offhire in Maracaibo "many problems mister chief"cured by waving wads of dollars around, good old days. I went on from there to New York, Hong Kong, Singapore and Nigeria, where I ran a ICD company, I actually ended up practically running the railroad and then road transport when the railway collapsed lack of funds, spare parts a typical case of African malaise. I eventually ended up running my own own independent marine survey company, finally finishing up with a major oil spill in Venezuela running the claims office in Maracaibo an altogether interesting and fascinating career path, though I say it myself, right place right time, now retired why I dont know, age I suppose , enjoyed it all, how about you ? Regards Frank

#8 ·
Hello Again Frank.

The Greek ship was an ex Wilhelmsen (I think one of the Japanese built ships) with a very minimal name change.

I seem to remember you telling me you were having plastic pellets poured into your fuel tank to reward you for some changes you were making in stevedore practices.

I also recall you telling me, if I am correct, that one of your parents was Spanish, hence your grasp of the language, and you had worked for Larrinaga.

After that brief escape to cargo ships it was off back to tankers and OBOs, before going to work for SBM in Nigeria, where I spent 12 years before retiring.

Definitely enjoyed most of it, though some of the Nigerian labour disputes were a bit tiresome!

Best Regards,

Roddie.

#11 ·
Hi Keith,
Were you on the Niceto when she had her collision in The Channel in which she lost her bow & No. 1 hatch, & a cadet (+1other?) lost his life? Served my time with Larrinaga, favourite vessel was the Niceto, managed to stay collision free when I was on her. She did have another smack when anchored at Hong Kong & a Pioneer boat ploughed into her. I also sailed on the Richard & Ramon.
Cheers,
David

#13 ·
Hi Keith,
I was always led to believe that the proceeds from the sale of the Maria went towards the funding to jumbo the Niceto. If memory serves me & the grey cells haven`t given up altogether, wasn`t a Santa boat the other half of that collision somewhere around Gib Straits? Good that you obviously survived.
Cheers,
David

#19 ·
My first ship as R/o with dispensation was the Ramon D Larrinaga, from Avonmouth to Manchester. Dec 1967.
The telescopic masts and the fold down radar mast proved quite problematic, what with several years of rust since the last visit to Manchester
De funnelling at Eastham locks. Just the funnel cowling actually.

#21 ·
I've just found this site and it was great to hear of some of the tales surrounding Larrinaga Steamship Company. I actually worked in the office in the Corn Exchange Building in Liverpool . It was my first job in 1968 and basically started out as the mail boy plus getting the Directors sandwiches at lunch time. Mr Ramon was the eldest at this time and had a calming air about him. I remember he drove a white Audi whereas the other director drove Mercs. Mr Richard enjoyed his sandwiches so kept me on my toes at lunch time. Mr Miguel came into the office less and Mr Rupert was a bundle of energy. It was later I learnt he was in the British Olympic Ski team in the 50's. I always found it strange that you had to call your work mates by their Surname in the office. We would go out for a beer after work and call each other by our Christian names but in the office in was always Whittle, Brownrigg, Anderson, O'Brien, etc;etc; Probably a left over from the Victorian/Edwardian days even though we were in the "Swinging 60's". After a year I got promoted and started ordering engine parts from the various suppliers at the bequest of the Chief Engineer on each vessel , then arranging to have them delivered all over the world (hopefully) prior to the ship getting to a particular port. I don't think I ever missed a ship/port and I did enjoy that job (remember it was all done by phone call and mail back then) I spent about two and a half years at Larrinaga and met some interesting characters off the ships who would always give me advice as I was so young (some good, some bad) I left the company in 1971 and eventually went to Australia and made a career in International Container leasing which ironically caused the demise of tramp steamers. I'm now back in Liverpool after 50 years away and always take a walk passed the Corn Exchange and look at my window that overlooked the rear of India Buildings as I still have fond memories of the people I met .

#24 ·
I joined Niceto de Larrinaga immediately after her arrival at aYmuiden as 2/O and with the Latvian captain we wentt to Emden Nordsee ship yard under tow stern first.September 1961.spent the next 3 months as officer in charge for the rebuilding and subsequently on the return to sea going in January from Hamburg was promoted to first mate when the captain took Ill . Chief officer Tony Rawlinsontook over as captain and we spent a marvellous eleven months North America - South Pacific. Nauru Ocean Island Australia final return to Liverpool from Fiji
with raw sugar, wonderful memories,
Just relating the rebuilding of her and subsequent voyage experience ,deep water moorings anchors off and on got me through masters orals, A great experience

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.