Windows Firewall - Ships Nostalgia
01:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Windows Firewall

User Tag List

Old 28th December 2008, 11:30
Department: Deck

Windows Firewall

Recently for some unknown reason every time I switch on my computer I have to reset my Firewall. I would like it on permanently. Advice would be appreciated.
TIA
Old 28th December 2008, 12:51
user

My location
Thats a strange one.
Have you done a full virus/trojan scan lately?
Have you got a third party firewall installed that you're not using?
Old 28th December 2008, 12:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I'm always glad to offer advice to anybody with computer problems (however, I don't guarantee it'll be of any use...) but when stating a problem it's always a good idea to state up front some standard information.
What operating system ? (i.e. Windows 98 .... to Vista ?)
AntiVirus and Monitoring system software (Nortons etc etc)
Type of broadband connection (e.g. ADSL USB modem, ethernet connected router and so on).
Whether or not you have just installed any software of any kind.

OK, before asking always do one thing. Run a full diskcheck (including a surface scan). Takes a bit of time, but always worth doing.

So, is the Windows Firewall switching itself off ? if it is doing this is it after start up ? or before (i.e. if you switch it on, when you come to shutdown the computer, is it still on ?).

Other than the firewall in your router, is there any other firewall software running ?

What was your last restore point (prior to noticing this problem) ?

I don't know if I can help, but we might get a clue from this info.

There's a lot of expertise in this forum and some part of this info might strike a chord.

Regards.
Old 28th December 2008, 22:17

I had that problem too. I had to download Spybot and run it to clear the problem.
Old 29th December 2008, 16:00
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
If you need a very good Firewall download Comodo Firewall,you have to train it for a couple of days then it is better than Windows. And its free.

John.
Old 29th December 2008, 17:14
Organisation: Coastguard
Active: 2001 - Present

I had that problem to plus some others with my computer. Took it to a local (excellent) computer doctor. Turns out I had "Bad Sectors"(?) in my hard drive(?) or something. I don't really understand. Give me a spanner, hammer and an engine where you can see the bits work!
Old 29th December 2008, 17:54
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
CED, every now and then you should run the "Check Files Sections"its part of the three tools you can use,the other two being Disk Frag and Clean Disk. It will make you machine run a little faster.

John
Old 29th December 2008, 21:22

Thank you all for your help. I have Windows XP, ADSL broadbband modem with connection working at about 5 Mbps. Have AVG free, Zone Alarm, Spamfighter. Suspect it may be a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth, so am considering dumping Zone Alarm again as this programme has given me gremlins in the past. Will also, as advised, try a defragment and cleanup. A minor problem which I can survive with if all fails.
Old 29th December 2008, 21:28
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Well I've used Zone Alarm in the past and never found much wrong with it. There's not much point however in running 2 firewalls, in fact, it can lead to problems. My advice would be to decide on which firewall you prefer and unhook the other one.

But previous advice to run a deep av scan is sound as some malicious software writers will attack the firewall (may all such writers be taken outside and made to watch 'Song of Norway' for several weeks continuous).
Old 29th December 2008, 21:35
user

My location
I use Zone Alarm all the time. In fact I've just started using their anti-virus package as well.
It will always try to persuade you to use it as the firewall which is why you keep getting the Windows firewall turned off.
It's never a good idea, as Bob says, to run two firewalls. If you enable Zone Alrarm it will automatically turn off Windows firewall. The reason you're getting asked about it every time is because the Windows one is set to always ask if you want to change the default. You have to find a way to stop it asking.
I've used Zone Alarm Pro for years with no problems although it can be a bit pedantic at times.
Kris
Old 30th December 2008, 04:44
Active: 1965 - 1973

Windows firewall has a dubious (by some) reputation and most of those 'in the know' will advise you to turn off Windows firewall and use the one that comes with your anti-virus software. That's what I do but...horses for courses.
Old 30th December 2008, 12:08
user

My location
Windows firewall, apparently, doesn't stop outgoing connections or something such from your computer. So if you have a trojan or some sort of worm it won't stop it communicating outward with it's master.
This is not relevant if you have a good antivirus.
Windows Vista firewall is a bit better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Firewall
Kris
Old 31st December 2008, 00:02
Organisation: Coastguard
Active: 2001 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
CED, every now and then you should run the "Check Files Sections"its part of the three tools you can use,the other two being Disk Frag and Clean Disk. It will make you machine run a little faster.
John
Thanks John
I disk frag and disk clean on a regular basis
Cheers
CED