Anybody out there from CP ships - Page 11 - Ships Nostalgia
11:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Anybody out there from CP ships

User Tag List

Old 8th August 2019, 17:23

"I Have Seen The Flying Dutchman" by George W. Fraser details his experiences in the CSU/SIU struggle
Old 8th August 2019, 19:18

Thanks, Old Engine. VPL doesn't have it on their shelves, but I've ordered it from Amazon.

Last edited by mary75; 8th August 2019 at 22:53..
Old 22nd August 2019, 18:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1977 - 1984

CP Female Officers

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
Hi Chris, nice to see a name I remember from CP, I think we sailed together on the Fort Hamilton in about 1984, you were 3/O and I was C/E Henry Robson with my wife Gloria.
I stayed with CP until made redundant in 88, remained at sea until 2014 when I retired.
Maddie Haris married Byron Gudgeon and joined the WA Mather in 83 I think, Byron relieved me in Fujaira and I signed off with John Simcox, that was his first trip master.
Tracey Edwards was another female cadet I sailed with once as cadet and once as 3/O.
There was another one who's name I forget who left and joined the police, she had married a 2/O and CP messed them about never getting on leave together.
Thanks for making my memory work
Hi Henry,

Nice to hear from you. I remember you and Gloria, but it was MV WA Mather we sailed together on in 1983. I also remember Hugh Hutchinson 3/E and his wife Gaye, C/O Chris Ireland, and 4/E Harry ? from that trip. I joined in Hamburg and paid off in Zamboanga, Philippines.
I was the 3/O who married the 2/O ( Mike Heffer) and left to join the police. CP were not very helpful to say the least, hence I decided on a career change. We divorced in 2003, and I last heard Mike was working and living in Brazil on oil rig supply vessels.
I spent 30 years with Dorset Police, retiring in 2014.
I now live in North Ayrshire, Scotland.

I sailed with Maddie and Byron Gudgeon on one of the product tankers, possibly the Fort Coulonge in 1982.

Chris
Old 22nd August 2019, 22:36
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2014

Hi Chris, looks like my memory was not working as well as i thought but when you mentioned Hugh and Gaye I remember them and Chris Ireland
Pleased to hear you had a good career in the police.
Old 18th September 2019, 12:10

Russ,

Your first montage includes me, Bruce Nicholls. I was deck cadet. I remember that the mate was allergic to alcohol. That was a first...particularly on CP Ships. I took redundancy in 1986. Worked in cargo inspection for a few years then in the trading dept at BP. Retired two years ago. Now living in Wales.
Old 17th October 2019, 22:49

Anybody used to know a Eugene Wakefield, engineer on CP Ships?
Old 25th October 2019, 16:21

Hi there, I am acting on behalf of CP and I am trying to locate an ex-CP seafarer who was at sea during the period from 1978 to 1989 in order to assist me in relation to a legal claim. If you are able to assist, please provide me with your contact details. Many thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 15:02

Byron & Maddie Gudgeon lived in Monmouth Gwent until 2015 with Sons Brendan & Daniel.
Byron served for 22 years on Stolt Tankers, believed last living in Newport.
Old 29th October 2019, 18:13

Many thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 16:49
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 2002

Thumbs up CP Ships

Sailed on many CP ships, First being the Port Hawkesbury, then Port Quebec,Fort calgary,CP Voyaguer, CP Trader, Lord Strathcona,RA Emerson, WA Mather, Fort Carleton,Fort Frontenac,Fort Dufferin,Canmar Venture,Fort Providence all as Radio Officer/Electronics. All good experience. Great bunch people. Happy days!!
David Atkinson.
Old 20th December 2019, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD BRITTLEBANK View Post
Greetings Everyone - Richard Brittlebank here - CP seagoing engineer 1976-86. I've been on Ships Nostalgia before but always seem to have trouble logging in, so pleasantly surprised this time!! I realise this is an old thread but I've had Thevendran Ponnambalam contact me over the Christmas - one of CP's Sri Lankan officers, whom I sailed with (and his missus Olwyn) on the 'Fort Coulonge' I think it was. He was maybe 3/E & I was 2/E. He lives in Australia and has recently retired from a career with Qantas.

Dave Beedie e-mailed me a couple of years ago re.the regular reunions he organizes per:

Hello Richard
I’m not sure if you remember me but I worked in the Fleet Personnel Dept with those old reprobates Bob Balneaves and Graham Simmons. Kelvin McIldoon gave your contact details to me so I thought I’d be in touch to see if you wanted to go to any of our CP reunions. If you live in the South I meet up with Robin Ebsworth, Ken Edwards, Robbie Banks, Captain Peter Grant and a few other CP guys in a pub in Southampton a couple of times a year and you are very welcome to join us and talk about the “good old Days”. We also have two reunions in London each year in May and October when more people attend. Apart from Bob and Graham, other regulars at these reunions are Dave Evans, Phil Jeavons, Lawrie Steadman and Marshall Christie. You may remember some of those names ? The next reunion will be on Friday 13th May at the Ship and Shovell Pub, 1-3 Craven passage, Charing Cross, London WC2N 5PH from 1230 if you fancy wiping out an afternoon !
Best wishes
Dave

Most of the people on his list are ex.shoreside wallahs but at the one reunion I've been to so far, I met up with Dave Evans, my C/E when I was 1st. trip 2nd.which was lovely. Dave Beedie sent a photo - per attached - of the attendees at one that I didn't go to.

AI used to be able to get on Marshall Christie's ex. CP'ers website but that seems to have 'died'.

All the best for 2019.

RICHARD
Hi Richard,

Rob McLaren here, I think we sailed together on the ID Sinclair, back in the day - Gadget!!

Be good if we all could meet up still. Used to go to the Liverpool meeting that Marshall Christie arranged. Went with Mick O'Toole, Guy Rayson and Ian McCluskie. Met Laurie Steadman and quite a few others.

I am currently scanning in some slides from my CP days, Ascension Island and the like.

Good to see people are still around.

Still travel a lot so happy to meet somewhere & chew the fat.

Rob McLaren
Old 20th December 2019, 13:54

Hi Scrivo, I think I sailed with you on your first trip at Purser?

All the best mate, hope you are well.
Old 20th December 2019, 17:20
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - Present

Hi Dave, I relieved you on Port Quebec in Hamburg. Am still recovering from our night at the Zillertal! Have you still got the photo? I have mine somewhere.
All the best
Bill
Old 24th January 2020, 16:06

Hey Tunatown are you still here

Geoff Bray
Old 25th January 2020, 05:55

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Bray View Post
Hey Tunatown are you still here

Geoff Bray
I sure am.
Old 9th June 2020, 12:10

Lord Strathcona

My Dad Jim Dempsey a Scotsman was 2nd engineer on Lard Strathcona early 70's if anyone war onboard around that time you might have known him. He also sailed on Pacific Logger.
Old 27th July 2020, 09:00

Ch.Eng ER HENRY passed away

Good morning
I have to pass on the sad news that my very good friend Evan Henry ex Ch.Eng with CP Ships passed away on Saturday morning.He was suffering from Asbestos related Lung Cancer.
best rgds
Roger Smith -ex Master CP ships
Old 28th July 2020, 12:16

Hi guys.
My father was the late John William Hume who was the master mariner for Canadian Pacific. Known as the Geordie Skipper.
He was captain in the 80s of the Fort Coulonge, Fort Rouge, Fort Kipp, Fort Toronto (commandeered to be a fresh water carrier in the Falklands War), Fort Rouge, WA Mather, Fort Toronto, Fort Macleod sadly the last one he captained.
I'd love to hear anything about him if you know him!!!!
Best,
Garry