Arcadia The First 21 Years - Page 6 - Ships Nostalgia
07:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Arcadia The First 21 Years

User Tag List

Old 23rd October 2014, 23:58

ss Arcadia - Cruises 1967, 1968 and 1969

Hi, I am a philatelist and am trying to get the itinerary of the ss Arcadia's voyages for the years 1967-69. I am trying to construct a display of Norfolk Island stamps on Paquebot covers posted from the various ports visited during this time. Any assistance that I can get re dates and ports visited during this time frame will be greatly appreciated.
Old 24th October 2014, 08:06
Super Moderator

On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard starstamp.

During 1967 to 1969 as other years, she would have been plying 'line voyages' from the UK to Australia and New Zealand, although she spent several weeks cruising from Sydney between 'line voyages' which would have included Norfolk Island. At the time, she would have been first class and tourist, but in the early 1970s when she became a full time cruise ship, she was one class. Sadly, I do not have the itinerary's for the years you mention, but until 1969 her 'line voyages' began from Tilbury making her first 'line voyage' from Southampton in November 1969 via South Africa arrving in Sydney on 18th December 1969. She then cruised from Sydney until March 1970 returning on another 'line voyage' again via South Africa. If I find anything of interest between 1967 and 69 from information I still have, I will let you know.
Old 8th January 2015, 04:26

Hey! This text was great! Im in a middle of something, actually looking for my half-brothers father. He was working on a ship named Arcadia, the ship was in Poland something around 1974-1975. This guy named something like Georgos (last name papulakis my mom thinks) left with the boat without knowing he has a son on the way. Now 40 years later my brother and his father stil don't know each other... So we looking for him in every possible way. Is this maybe the ship? Could you possibly know any Georgos papulakis?

My brother (and the rest of the family) will be forever thankful if you wanted to answer.

Thank you so much, and thank you for great text

Best regards,
Paulina

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 8th January 2015 at 07:44..
Old 8th January 2015, 08:00
Super Moderator

Hi Paulina

Firstly. welcome aboard. I have deleted your e-mail address in line with site policy for your own security to prevent you receiving unsolicited e-mails. Members can contact you via the sites Private Message system where you can disclose your e-mail address if you so wish.

Arcadia has never been to Poland, at least certainly not 1974/75. We were based in Sydney, Australia then. We did an Australian Woman's Weekly world cruise in 1975 doing a couple of Med cruises from Southampton before the homeward bound including to Amsterdam, but not Poland. Your half-brothers father's name does ring a bell, so I will look up old copies of the ships crew newspaper to see if I can find his name. If he joined Arcadia in 1974 he would have flown either to the west coast of the USA or Sydney. I flew out to Sydney in October 1974 when there was a crew change to begin her cruises from Sydney.

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 8th January 2015 at 08:04..
Old 9th January 2015, 02:08

Thank you so much!!! This means world to us! The question is still there - if it was not this Arcadia I wonder what other ship could be named the same. I tried to found some kind of list over ships with that name but it's hard. We don't know when Georgios joined, we just know that in '75 he was working on a ship named Arcadia or Arkadia, and that it probably was a Greek ship. I truly hope you maybe see his name somewhere in your copies so we can be sure that we spelling it right! And maybe get some more info.

Thank you so much!!!
Old 9th January 2015, 04:30
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Paulina
Could it be this one.....
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...rkadia/cat/520 ?
Go to the picture gallery of this site to see more pictures of this ship, and perhaps get some details about her.
Good hunting, and welcome aboard
Old 9th January 2015, 08:03
Super Moderator

Paulina

I have started to look through copies of Arcadus, but so far not found Georgios, but that does not mean he was not on board. It is possible that he joined her in Southampton in 1975. We arrived on 21st March 1975 from Sydney on the outward leg of the Australian Woman's Weekly world cruise, which was to have been Himalaya until we took over her cruises from October 1974 based in Sydney. When Arcadia arrived back in Southampton, it was the first time for a few years. I joined her in 1973 based on the west coast of the USA. She left Southampton in May after three cruises for the homeward cruise to Sydney. Therefore, if Geogios joined us before those dates he would have flown to join us. You mentioned 1974, so he would have certainly flown. some crew members flew to the USA to take her down to Sydney, then flew back on the same aircraft that took the main crew to Sydney after leave including myself.

The Greek liner Arkadia can be ruled out because she arrived in Valencia, Spain for scrapping on 8th December 1966. She had been laid at Falmouth, Cornwall. Her final voyage was Bremerhaven, Amsterdam, London, Le Havre, Quebec in August 1966 before being laid up. It is possible of course that Georgios could have joined her in 1965, but not 1975. And as far as I know, Arkadia with a k did not go to Poland either.

I will carry on looking for his name, and contact a couple of former crew members who may remember him. If you have further information it would be helpful.
Old 10th January 2015, 23:11

Thank you so much for helping! If the ship was not in Poland 1975 then it cannot be the one I'm looking for. My mom and my half brothers father were in a relationship for 7 months while the boat was in Poland 1975.... Can't find him, nothing on internet, google, Facebook and nothing on the ship as wel! We will go to a Greek consulate, maybe they can help! Appreciate your help!!!
Best regards!
Old 10th January 2015, 23:53

My location
Paulina, I think it would have been quite unlikely that it would have been a British ship in Poland for Seven Months.
Ding! Just had an Idea.... Could it have been one of the smaller Cunard Line ships that were converted and sold to the USSR (CCCP) Two of the four went East. Not sure which ones. Sylvania, Saxonia, Franconia and another one Carmania I think. Note, the names all end in IA, were British and around that time I think. Just a thought......
Old 11th January 2015, 11:36

I talked to my mum because it was strange that I can't find any info. The ship was named exactly EL ARKADIA and was in Gdynia for repairing for 7 months.... Now I have to dig in to that. Really hard to find information :/
Old 11th January 2015, 11:38

And the ship was Greek! So this forum isn't about the boat I'm looking for, I'm aware of that now, need to start from zero again
Old 11th January 2015, 12:12

My location
EL at the front of the name indicates an Arabic ship Perhaps?
Old 11th January 2015, 12:25
Super Moderator

Paulina

Why not ask the same question in Ship Research by starting a new thread here https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=353

Now that you know the name of the ship, more members may respond. Good luck
Old 11th January 2015, 22:35

Really?!? Arabic... Gosh this is crazy, it was definitywny greek crew but the ship i don't know. My mum says it was definitely Greek crew because she was with them at some crew-partys... How hard could it be to find a ship!

Yes I'll start with the forum, that's the last chance we actually have! Thank you both for helping!!! Means a lot!
Old 4th September 2015, 20:30

Hello to everyone on this thread

I recently came upon this thread while reading Michael Ondaatje's book, The Cat's Table. In March 1974, I had joined the Arcadia in Los Angeles on a cruise to Sydney, Australia. One of the ports of call on that voyage was Hong Kong. During the three days in port, a few of us boarded another P&O ship also docked in Hong Kong. I couldn't remember if the other ship had been the Oriana, or the Canberra. Searching for that answer led me to this thread.
In 1974, I was a twenty-nine year old bachelor, looking for a new life and an escape from Canadian winters. Australia had always been a country of fascination to me since my father had been the bandmaster for a number of years on Cunard ships as the Georgic, Orion, Britannic, Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth. He had plied the Southampton to Australia route many times and had a fondness for Australia.
Setting out on this journey, little did I know that I would meet my future wife on board. We both ended up living in Melbourne for four years and married on our return trip to Canada in 1978. After business careers in Waterloo, Ontario, we retired in 1996 and eventually settled in central Mexico. Because of the significance of that voyage, I still have some of the menus, wine list, and cruise log.
I've enjoyed reading other postings on this sight.
Old 21st September 2015, 19:37
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1967 - 1979

That would probably be Capt D' Oyley Green
Old 21st September 2015, 20:39

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
EL at the front of the name indicates an Arabic ship Perhaps?
Or Spanish/Portuguese language of course. Which perhaps is more likely.
Old 21st September 2015, 22:29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianatpar View Post
I recently came upon this thread while reading Michael Ondaatje's book, The Cat's Table. In March 1974, I had joined the Arcadia in Los Angeles on a cruise to Sydney, Australia. One of the ports of call on that voyage was Hong Kong. During the three days in port, a few of us boarded another P&O ship also docked in Hong Kong. I couldn't remember if the other ship had been the Oriana, or the Canberra. Searching for that answer led me to this thread.
In 1974, I was a twenty-nine year old bachelor, looking for a new life and an escape from Canadian winters. Australia had always been a country of fascination to me since my father had been the bandmaster for a number of years on Cunard ships as the Georgic, Orion, Britannic, Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth. He had plied the Southampton to Australia route many times and had a fondness for Australia.
Setting out on this journey, little did I know that I would meet my future wife on board. We both ended up living in Melbourne for four years and married on our return trip to Canada in 1978. After business careers in Waterloo, Ontario, we retired in 1996 and eventually settled in central Mexico. Because of the significance of that voyage, I still have some of the menus, wine list, and cruise log.
I've enjoyed reading other postings on this sight.

The ship in Hong Kong with Arcadia was Oronsay. The cruise was the Cherry Blossom Circle Pacific cruise leaving Los Angeles on 14th March 1974. Oronsay was on a cruise from Sydney. We saw her briefly in Yokohama arriving as she was leaving. We followed her to Hong Kong.
Old 12th June 2016, 08:52
Department: Engineering
Active: 1939 - Present

Thumbs up Arcadia.

Hi, I was on the Arc when she ran aground in Honolulu in the 1960s,
sealed in the engine room recording telegraph signals. A bit sweaty.
Enjoyed reading, your work.