Summer herring season Lerwick 1984 - Ships Nostalgia
17:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Summer herring season Lerwick 1984

User Tag List

Old 21st October 2017, 18:51

Summer herring season Lerwick 1984

Trying to figure out from Lerwick port records what vessels were involved in the summer herring season 1984. The pursers are easy to find but the smaller boats are difficult (for me!) to know if whitefish or herring and wondered if anyone on here could help. I have Dayspring Fr306, Ocean Crest Fr217, Accord Fr262, Replenish Bf382, Uberous Fr50, Modulus Fr272, Radiant Way Fr234, Maureen June Pd363, Scottish Maid Bf317 and Spes Melior Pd397. These all shown as arrivals during the herring season but the harbour records don’t note whether on whitefish or herring. Finally if any of these were fishing herring would it be by trawling / pair trawling. Thanks John

Last edited by johnvoe; 22nd October 2017 at 16:31..
Old 1st December 2017, 23:24

Spes Melior was whitefish (Maureen June probably too, though it did go pelagic early in its career), could have been either seine net or pair probably former.

Radiant Way and Replenish were pursers and would have been at the herring.

Dayspring and Ocean Crest were a pair as were Uberous and Modulous, Scottish Maid was part of a pair, these were more than likely at the herring though they went to white fish.

Accord could have been at either as it had tanks and went to the pelagic early in its career too.
Old 2nd December 2017, 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvoe View Post
Trying to figure out from Lerwick port records what vessels were involved in the summer herring season 1984. The pursers are easy to find but the smaller boats are difficult (for me!) to know if whitefish or herring and wondered if anyone on here could help. I have Dayspring Fr306, Ocean Crest Fr217, Accord Fr262, Replenish Bf382, Uberous Fr50, Modulus Fr272, Radiant Way Fr234, Maureen June Pd363, Scottish Maid Bf317 and Spes Melior Pd397. These all shown as arrivals during the herring season but the harbour records donít note whether on whitefish or herring. Finally if any of these were fishing herring would it be by trawling / pair trawling. Thanks John
As an aside, have you read Tommy Ralstons "My Captains"? a fabulous descriptive record of West Coast herring fishing.
Old 2nd December 2017, 06:16

Thanks Porthendry and Nav, information much appreciated. I haven’t been on the site for a while so only found your messages this morning.
John