Karanja - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
06:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Karanja

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Old 22nd June 2014, 17:28
Robert Bush Robert Bush is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 165
Mike,
I have wonderful memories of the Seychelles. Went down from Bombay and back on the K boats in the mid 50s for six month leave. Stayed at the Pirates Arms in Victoria, a corrugated iron structure, managed by an English woman who spoke Creole. She tried to protect the chastity of her maids. with mixed results.

Praslin is a more beautiful island and there I stayed with a French planter. Prince Phillip called at Victoria in the Britannia without the Queen. Shore leave was allowed and I was on the dock with half the island when she left. Phillip's parting words were "Tie a knot in it Sharky." Loud laughter and cheers from all except the not very popular Commissioner who was heard to ask an aide, "What on earth does he mean.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 24th June 2014, 03:20
John Briggs's Avatar
John Briggs John Briggs is offline  
Forever a Seaman
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
My location
Posts: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Ferry View Post
Can somebody tell me something about Rajula, was she a sister ship?
Rajula was built at Barclay Curle, Glasgow in 1926 and broken up in Bombay in 1974 - an extremely long working life. Her sister ship was Rohna which was lost in the Second World War.

Karanja was built in 1948 by Alexander Stephen and Sons at their Govan yard. Her only sister ship was Kampala where I served as third mate in 1961/62.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]JB
Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11th November 2014, 05:47
steamship steamship is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
Wonderful Seychelles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bush View Post
Mike,
I have wonderful memories of the Seychelles. Went down from Bombay and back on the K boats in the mid 50s for six month leave. Stayed at the Pirates Arms in Victoria, a corrugated iron structure, managed by an English woman who spoke Creole. She tried to protect the chastity of her maids. with mixed results.

Praslin is a more beautiful island and there I stayed with a French planter. Prince Phillip called at Victoria in the Britannia without the Queen. Shore leave was allowed and I was on the dock with half the island when she left. Phillip's parting words were "Tie a knot in it Sharky." Loud laughter and cheers from all except the not very popular Commissioner who was heard to ask an aide, "What on earth does he mean.
My brother K C Smith was chief with the BI for a long time. I went out to do a job for the defense force in 2001 to Victoria. The pirate arms was still there and I ate some great tuna steaks there. I came home with one of those coco de mer shells which caused me quite a problem in Portland OR airport. I think KC was on the Kampala and Karanja. He passed away I Scotland dec. 27 2013
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11th November 2014, 06:02
steamship steamship is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
Rajula

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Briggs View Post
Rajula was built at Barclay Curle, Glasgow in 1926 and broken up in Bombay in 1974 - an extremely long working life. Her sister ship was Rohna which was lost in the Second World War.

Karanja was built in 1948 by Alexander Stephen and Sons at their Govan yard. Her only sister ship was Kampala where I served as third mate in 1961/62.
Wasn't the Rajula the last BI boat working the coast of India. I beleive
She was also one of the last steam recips. I worked on some steam recipe at Barclay Curles Drydock when I was serving my time. You might have known some of my brothers John M Smith. Kenneth C Smith and Alexander M Smith. K C Passed the bar Dec. 27 2014. I never did go to the BI I sailed with Houlders for a while and then went to the oilfeilds when the MN fell apart. The last BI ship I saw was the Suffolk in Aquaba and she was on her way to be scrapped.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11th November 2014, 21:39
Mike Butt Mike Butt is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
SEYCHELLES / Karanja

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
My brother K C Smith was chief with the BI for a long time. I went out to do a job for the defense force in 2001 to Victoria. The pirate arms was still there and I ate some great tuna steaks there. I came home with one of those coco de mer shells which caused me quite a problem in Portland OR airport. I think KC was on the Kampala and Karanja. He passed away I Scotland dec. 27 2013
Hi thanks for this info! small world ! Pirates arms is still there, but the SEYCHELLES culture & tradition has faded fast, with Arab & Asian Influences prevalent , DO you have any FILM of SEYCHELLES at all please?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 14th February 2015, 13:10
zaibsday zaibsday is offline  
Member
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1968 - Present
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1
I was born on Karanja on 24 November 1968. Is there anyone on this site who was on board the ship at that time?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 15th February 2015, 05:00
ernhelenbarrett ernhelenbarrett is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
My location
Posts: 344
I believe the Rajula had the honour of being the largest carrier of passengers in her day, she was on the India/Malaya/Singapore run when I was with B.I, although most of her passengers were of the "Deck" variety. Believe the most hated B.I ship was the Amra on the Karachi/Chittagong run with only a stop for
bunkers at Colombo, also the only B.I. jazz to sink in drydock whilst undergoing
repairs in Kowloon Dock.
Ern Barrett
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 18th June 2019, 18:00
Mike Butt Mike Butt is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Hi Does anyone have FILM or Photos Of Seychelles Please ?
I collect film footage of these islands and have the largest collection in the world, always seeking more. I have Film of the airport being built by Costains
and Film onboard The Karanja, 1970, plus lots more . Please can anyone assist
Thanks. [email protected]
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off




Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.