Capt Thomas S Horn, OBE of the Sydney Star - Ships Nostalgia
05:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Capt Thomas S Horn, OBE of the Sydney Star

User Tag List

Old 29th January 2013, 18:49

Capt Thomas S Horn, OBE of the Sydney Star

Dear all

Captain Horn received the OBE at the end of 1941 for getting the Sydney Star to Malta after she'd been torpedoed. You would think wouldn't you that somewhere in the archives of the Imperial War Museum, the National Maritime Museum or the National Archives at Kew there'd be a photograph of him. Well if there is I have so far failed to locate it. Kew doesn't even seem to have his seaman's pouch. So I thought I'd ask on here.

I should add that I don't have personal connections with him - although I have had email correspondence with a second cousin who has been researching the family tree. I just admire the man for his grit. Two other members of the ships company also received decorations for their outstanding services - Mr G. Haig, Chief Engineer, OBE and Mr J.H.A. Mackie, the Chief Officer MBE.

Thanks

Caroline
Old 29th January 2013, 20:55
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Hello Caroline,

Firstly not all seamen's pouches survive, approx 95,000 were destroyed prior to 1988. Usually the pouch would have an ID mugshot photo but that would be the only place you will find one in the various records available. There is no surviving pouch for your man.

The full list of decorations for 'SYDNEY STAR' reads as follows:

London Gazette 16 December 1941 - For services when the ship was torpedoed and damaged during Operation Substance - a convoy from Gibraltar to Malta in July 1941.

Haig, George - Chief Engineer - OBE(Civ)
Horn, Thomas Sydney - Captain - OBE(Civ)
Mackie, James Hunter Andrew - Chief Officer - MBE(Civ)
Knights, John Arthur Bamford W/50 - Leading Seaman RANR - Commendation
Roberts, John Wakeling W/303 - Able Seaman RANR - Commendation
Robinson, Anthony Jesse - Gunner - Commendation

Ungazetted award by Lloyd's

Haig, George - Chief Engineer - Lloyd's War Medal for Bravery at Sea
Horn, Thomas Sydney - Captain - Lloyd's War Medal for Bravery at Sea
Mackie, James Hunter Andrew - Chief Officer - Lloyd's War Medal for Bravery at Sea

London Gazette 4 June 1943 - Birthday Honours List 1943
Bones, Frank - Carpenter - BEM(CiV)

There is a medal file for Captain Horn from WW1 and WW2 downloadable for £3.36 each held respectively in BT 351 and BT 395.

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”

Last edited by Hugh MacLean; 29th January 2013 at 21:58..
Old 29th March 2014, 14:56

I have just discovered that GEORGE HAIG , was my grandmothers brother. ill be doing some digging into him real soon. Caroline I have just ordered your book. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineD View Post
Dear all

Captain Horn received the OBE at the end of 1941 for getting the Sydney Star to Malta after she'd been torpedoed. You would think wouldn't you that somewhere in the archives of the Imperial War Museum, the National Maritime Museum or the National Archives at Kew there'd be a photograph of him. Well if there is I have so far failed to locate it. Kew doesn't even seem to have his seaman's pouch. So I thought I'd ask on here.

I should add that I don't have personal connections with him - although I have had email correspondence with a second cousin who has been researching the family tree. I just admire the man for his grit. Two other members of the ships company also received decorations for their outstanding services - Mr G. Haig, Chief Engineer, OBE and Mr J.H.A. Mackie, the Chief Officer MBE.

Thanks

Caroline
Old 2nd May 2014, 17:22

Hello Phillip
I look forward to hearing the results of your research. George Haig certainly deserved his OBE. I don't envy him being down in the engine room trying to keep the Sydney Star going after she'd been hit. I'm assuming you have a copy of Richard Woodman's Malta Convoys but just in case you haven't here is what he writes on p202

"Horn was not ignored, however, nor were his key staff, Chief Engineer Haig in particular. With her pumps running continuously and quite unable to stem, let alone reverse the inflow of water, they had also to keep the main engines and boilers running."

Hugh - I was sure I had thanked you for posting the details of the awards to the rest of the crew. Perhaps I did it by PM but it was good to see them get the credit they deserved.

Thanks to the power of the internet two of Thomas Horn's relatives have been in touch and have sent photographs of him.