Blue Funnel Crew Lists - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
04:04

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Blue Funnel Crew Lists

User Tag List

Old 26th December 2008, 22:17

My location
This has nothing to do with the subject in hand.
Unless you have something to contribute to the original query please refrain from needless comment.
Old 26th December 2008, 22:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1990

sorry Hugh didnt realise this thread was going to turn into something personal by other members as I have recommended you to somebody else from Eriskay in the past who you did very well for and she is very grateful and so am i for all your help.
Old 26th December 2008, 22:41
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldonaich View Post
...Hugh ... I have recommended you to somebody else from Eriskay in the past who you did very well for and she is very grateful and so am I for all your help.

Hugh and Muldonaich,
Gentlemen, thank you for your good contributions and in keeping the spirit of SN alive, it is appreciated.

Mark
Old 26th December 2008, 23:10
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1967

My location
For Hugh MacLean :

Much obliged for your Post No. 27 earlier this evening, that is all very clear and most helpful and should enable me to progress a piece of family history that I am researching presently. Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble, Hugh.

Angus Mac Kinnon
Old 26th December 2008, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
Hugh and Muldonaich,
Gentlemen, thank you for your good contributions and in keeping the spirit of SN alive, it is appreciated.

Mark
thank you tonga kev.
Old 26th December 2008, 23:38
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Gentlemen, thank you all for your comments - much appreciated.
Angus if you get stuck make a post or drop me a PM. I will help if I can.
Regards
Paid it in full”
Old 27th December 2008, 00:35
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1964 - 1974

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
am i the only observer of s.n. who suspects the use of multiple identities by member(s)?
Calm down guys!!
I think that what sparkie2182 is alluding to Ocean Seadog

And just to keep this post relevant.
While on the Blue Funnel shore-gang, I stored just about every 'Bluie' afloat but never, ever, stored a Glen boat, so it's safe to assume that they were separately managed entities within Ocean Fleets.
But what would I know, I'm only an ex-steward!!!

Regards Phil
Old 27th December 2008, 01:52

was only trying to help fellow christians as i always do whats your ex rating got to do with it why would a man like bill davies lower himself to do such a thing if he has it does not say much for sn to have people like him on this site please anwer steve i think you need to thanks kev.
Old 27th December 2008, 08:59

Personally I don't have the slightest doubt that Ocean Seadog is a shabby, gutless troll, but which other shabby gutless troll he is in fact a clone of I don't know, although I have my own ideas. His postings do have the same smell about them as those of some of the other "come for a short while, do a bit of trolling and then vanish" school of trolls. There have been a few. Names that is, possibly only one uber-troll.
Old 27th December 2008, 09:13
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjidog View Post
Chris,

There are many sites that allow that kind of thing and if you have tried them you will find that they are not nice places to spend your time. That is why the Mods intervene - quite honestly we would prefer not to have to as we have more interesting ways of spending our time. We are not going to let SN degenerate into a place for slanging matches and refighting old battles.
I was only joking!
Happy New Year
Chris
Old 29th December 2008, 17:46

Tom.
Bob Vart Junior sailed his final voyage with Blue Funnel on the Centaur before marrying an Australian Lass. His Father Bob came on board the Centaur in Singapore and sent some furniture down to Perth W.A. aboard her for them. Think that this was about 1968 but all a long time ago.
Best Regards, Steve.
Old 30th December 2008, 02:17

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Seadog View Post
Tom,
Forget about reading books and listen to those who have the experience and and seniority to know. To all intents and purposes they were run as one and the same.
Ocean Seadog, I'd suggest you get in touch with Bill Davies, another member on this site, who co-incidentally, is another expert on the Blue Funnel and Glen Lines.
I'm quite sure he could resolve the Glen Line/Blue Flue issue for us once and for all.
Like you, he has the superior knowledge and the seniority to know these things.
In fact, it's quite uncanny the way that when I read your posts I keep thinking I'm reading Bills posts.
Funny how the mind starts to play tricks when you hit 60!!
Silly me!!

Regards Phil
Old 30th December 2008, 03:27
Discredited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saul
In fact, it's quite uncanny the way that when I read your posts I keep thinking I'm reading Bills posts.
Funny how the mind starts to play tricks when you hit 60!!
Silly me!!
EXACTLY !!
Old 30th December 2008, 10:34

Phil,
Shire Line (all named after Welsh Shires) had been bought up by Glen Line of London. Alfred Holt and Co. then bought up Glen Line. BF continued to run out of Liverpool while Glen Line ran out of London. The reason for keeping the companies seperated was that each outfit gave the owners and extra say in the Conference and were therefore allocated extra trade routes-a bit similar to the Airline industry of today.
Alfred Holt and company also owned Elder Dempster Lines- and under this name also retained Guinnea Gulf Line, Burma Black Star and possibly others as 'sleeping companies'. Alfred Holt and Co. ran Blue Funnel itself under various holding company names- Ocean Steamship Co., China Mutual Steamship Co., China Steam Navigation Co. etc. All Buisness ploys.
Hope that this has started another can of worms- maybe someone can add more to this.
Regards Steve

Last edited by steve2; 30th December 2008 at 10:48.. Reason: doubled up last message
Old 30th December 2008, 14:32

R651400
My last post was intended to assist an ongoing discussion between Phil and Ocean Seadog, not to get too serious or pedantic. For me this thead is now closed.
Steve
Old 30th December 2008, 22:13

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
Phil,
Shire Line (all named after Welsh Shires) had been bought up by Glen Line of London. Alfred Holt and Co. then bought up Glen Line. BF continued to run out of Liverpool while Glen Line ran out of London. The reason for keeping the companies seperated was that each outfit gave the owners and extra say in the Conference and were therefore allocated extra trade routes-a bit similar to the Airline industry of today.
Alfred Holt and company also owned Elder Dempster Lines- and under this name also retained Guinnea Gulf Line, Burma Black Star and possibly others as 'sleeping companies'. Alfred Holt and Co. ran Blue Funnel itself under various holding company names- Ocean Steamship Co., China Mutual Steamship Co., China Steam Navigation Co. etc. All Buisness ploys.
Hope that this has started another can of worms- maybe someone can add more to this.
Regards Steve
Thanks for that Steve.
Each piece of info. adds to the jig-saw puzzle that was Ocean fleets.

Regards Phil
Old 31st December 2008, 14:38

Holts acquired Glen Line in 1935 at a bargain price due to the collapse of Royal Mail Group. Glen & Shire Lines were allowed to keep their identity because of the benefits derived from the conference system andaccess to the east coast, they kept some of their agents out east. eg Bousteads & Jardine Matheson. Richard Holt became Chairman of Glen Line but kept two of Glens Managers on.After that Holts ordered new ships for Glen designed by Harry Flett and were responsible for manning. Glen Line had British Officers and Chinese crew ie: Stewards, Petty Officers Ab's,greasers etc.

My father's first ship as a Midshipman was on the Glenbeg which he joined in 1940 at Birkenhead and he continued to alternate on Glen ships and Bluey's until he became master in 1962 after that he only comanded Blue Funnel Ships. From his point of view Blue Funnel & Glen where one and the same and its plane to see that ultimate control was exercised from India Buildings but Glen had some autonomy at operational level in London. So both sides of this "discussion" can claim to be right.

Regards

Mike Squires
Old 3rd January 2009, 16:50
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1978 - 2001

My location
Steve2,
Thanks for the info on Bob Vart (senior and Junior), I understand that Bob Divorced the Australian Lass he married (Helen?) a few years ago, he now lives in Hong Kong and works as a Marine insurance agent.
Thanks to everyone else who contribulted information about BF and Glen Lines too...fascinating.
All the best
Tom
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:10
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjidog View Post
I agree 100% - the bickering (and the imflammatory posts that usually precede it) does no good to the reputation or credibility of the posters and will just put people off using the site. Friendly banter is one thing - a lot of these posts are not friendly banter.

If you think your present or past company is better than the rest - good for you - there is nothing wrong with loyalty - just don't keep going on about it (BTW this is a general comment and not directed at Blue Flue people!).

If you see a post like that please ignore it and help us avoid Groundhog Day.
I had the good luck to sail as A.B. in the Blue Funnel line on 4 of their ships which as i have said before was just one of our great shipping companys along with many more which were their equal in every way and some of those i was also lucky enough to have sailed in ,as you will see in my details ,when i think back to Shaw Savill to me i see another great company i was the last man to steer the Athenic into the breakers at kaoshiung , then i think of the tramp the Worthy Down [ Manns of London ] only 2 ships in the company but for me a ship that i would love to see sailing around the world once more even though she put me ashore in Shanghai but that to was part of the wonderful way of life that we lived in those days , yes Blue Funnel was special but no more so than all the others that are long gone .
I just feel so privalidged to have had the chance to have spent 12 years of my youth at sea and in some of the finest ships ever to have sailed the sea,s .
Old 5th January 2009, 21:47
Active: 1966 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
I had the good luck to sail as A.B. in the Blue Funnel line on 4 of their ships which as i have said before was just one of our great shipping companys along with many more which were their equal in every way and some of those i was also lucky enough to have sailed in ,as you will see in my details ,when i think back to Shaw Savill to me i see another great company i was the last man to steer the Athenic into the breakers at kaoshiung , then i think of the tramp the Worthy Down [ Manns of London ] only 2 ships in the company but for me a ship that i would love to see sailing around the world once more even though she put me ashore in Shanghai but that to was part of the wonderful way of life that we lived in those days , yes Blue Funnel was special but no more so than all the others that are long gone .
I just feel so privalidged to have had the chance to have spent 12 years of my youth at sea and in some of the finest ships ever to have sailed the sea,s .
Good post!

Michael Squires.

On my first trip Blue Funnel Clytoneus your dad was the "old man" He signed my steering certificate after 10 hours on the wheel. Great days.

BW

J
Old 14th January 2009, 03:11

Smile hahaha

first time here, just like seaman, get a few beers down us and we want to take on the world, and i thought it would b us old ones, hahaha,
the blues, and the glens where dif comapnies, but we all came under the ocean steam ship comp, and i dont no if it true, but if a merchant company had more that a certain amount of ships they had to buy a ship of war, that is why they kept changing the funnels, so i was told, guys put the gloves away, hahaha
Old 14th January 2009, 08:29

My location
Michael, Did you ever ask your old man if he remembered being pitched out of his bunk all those years ago in the Southern Ocean in the old coal burning ELPENOR? Hugh.
Old 9th March 2009, 23:23

I've just come across this thread, so forgive me for resurrecting it! To support Ocean Seadog, I was an engineer cadet in Blue Funnel and coasted on the Flintshire before finishing my training. The main difference was that Blue Funnel tended to ship out of Liverpool/Birkenhead; Glen Line shipped out of London.
Old 4th June 2009, 22:22

Laomedon crew list, 1962/63

Here are two Lifeboat stations 'Crew Lists' from Blue Funnel. mv Laomedon 1962/63 and mv Asphalion 1964. I was mates with Dougie Gray the E/O on Asphalion. I wonder where he is now.
Any more Blue Funnel lifeboat lists out there ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Laeomedon crew list voy 28005.jpg (101.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Asphalion Lifeboat list001.jpg (90.9 KB, 93 views)
Old 7th June 2009, 14:16

Dolius,
Interesting that the Lampy on Laomedon 62/63 is shown elsewhere on one of BF threads as Bosun of another ship around the same time. Knowing George Birch only by his good reputation I have no way of knowing whether the man in the photograph was in fact George Birch. I did have my doubts as he looked a little young to be a China boat Bosun
John/Pat/Alec....any ideas??

Bill