?Important Questions? - Ships Nostalgia
02:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

?Important Questions?

User Tag List

Old 28th June 2009, 09:10

?Important Questions?

In the good old days when Shell had millions of ships, captains with real character/reputation and large crews, I remember when first joining any illustrious Shell Tanker my first few questions were:-
"Who is the old man and what's he like?"...."How long has he got in?"
"What's the chow like?"....
"What are the orders?"...
I would then have a look down the muster list to see if I recognised any names I had sailed with before. Funny how the results of those cursory investigations could set the tone for a trip.
Once those formalities were over it was then it was down to business and countdown to pay-off.
Old 28th June 2009, 10:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1987

How true! A pretty good barometer on how the trip will be - if you're lucky enough to get a great old man, good chow and lots of good comrades you've sailed with before then life's gonna be a peach. Of course it goes the other way - an old man joins with you that you'd rather not be with, slow steaming to the gulf with lousy chow.
Old 28th June 2009, 12:20

My location
When the Cheng.....Mate....Ch Steward ...... sends telegrams demanding to be relieved after being told a certain Master is about to join..........

not a good omen.
Old 29th June 2009, 06:35
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1964 - 2001

I agree with all your comments. As the ships agent I used to witness these remarks particularly on Asprella when we heard Jimmy Brit was joining, a shudder went down the spine of the ship.He did about three to four voyages on her to Curacao/Guayanilla from Stanlow and then when his replacement came Captain George Bennison, a much more liked skipper there was calm again. Captain Bennison left and Captain Ron Kerley came equally a very easy going chap who it was a privilege to work with.
Old 29th June 2009, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEITH SEVILLE View Post
I agree with all your comments. As the ships agent I used to witness these remarks particularly on Asprella when we heard Jimmy Brit was joining, a shudder went down the spine of the ship.He did about three to four voyages on her to Curacao/Guayanilla from Stanlow and then when his replacement came Captain George Bennison, a much more liked skipper there was calm again. Captain Bennison left and Captain Ron Kerley came equally a very easy going chap who it was a privilege to work with.
Keith,
In your capacity as ship's agent for Shell in Liverpool, do you remember a pair of brothers who were appropriated pilots for Shell?
I think their name was Meggeson.
I assume you worked for Bahr Behrend who I recall were Shells agents on Merseyside.

Best regards,
Pat
Old 29th June 2009, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
I assume you worked for Bahr Behrend who I recall were Shells agents on Merseyside.

Best regards,
Pat
I thought Brinnings were the Shell agents in that area or was that just for Stanlow?
Old 29th June 2009, 09:48

You see, this is the problem with memory. I was sure it was Bahr Behrend, then someone mention Brinings, and now I'm sure it was Brinings.
Cheers,
Pat
Old 29th June 2009, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
You see, this is the problem with memory. I was sure it was Bahr Behrend, then someone mention Brinings, and now I'm sure it was Brinings.
Cheers,
Pat
I didn't remember it, a good memory is not my forte either.

I found it scribbled in our old address book from when my wife used to visit the Halia at Stanlow and Eastham. (Sad isn't it I still have an address book from 1985 in amongst my possessions)
Old 29th June 2009, 11:56
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1964 - 2001

Pat

Brinings were the agents for the Shell owned or Time Chartered Vessels both at Tranmere,Eastham,Stanlow and Ince for a great many years.
Eventually our firm was taken over by OBC Shipping who remain as the Shell Agents, sadly that was the time after about 2 years when I was made redundant i.e. 2001.
The pilots you referred to are John Megginson and I think his brother was called Charles Megginson. John was the senior pilot for Shell and is still alive, living near Chester.

Best Regards
Keith