British Gull - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
23:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

British Gull

User Tag List

Old 11th May 2018, 15:14
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1973

re lifeboat

Sorry if my original post gave a wrong impression, there was nothing wrong with the lifeboat after it had been launched, it was just, as I recall sitting in it, one end of the lifeboat davit released quicker, or had more slack in it than the other, I know not why, and the lifeboat began descending at an angle, with much shouting of protest from those of us in it. Further to the other information I can now recall the rapidly melting ice cream being offered when we got on board Comet, out of big tubs if I recall correctly.
Old 13th May 2018, 10:07

this thread started with a ''birdie'' offering to tow an 'IT steam tanker''.
Having only once sailed on a 'IT' as an engineer there were many faults on the layout of the em genny, ford air compressor, and the emergency start compressor- not in the concept but in their reliability.
The fault we had on the ''IT'' was boiler water consumption/daily, and its replacement, and then all the pipework and associated stop vavles for all those salt water services required. The six 'IT' were reputedly built as a repayment debt 6 ships for the price of 5.
There were in 1967 when I sailed on my 'IT' clapped out, and in our case endless Swedish boiler fitters on board renewing the two Foster Wheeler ESD Type 2/3? tubes in the furnace spaces.
It was a voyage to remember -- the auxiliary diesel genny failed we were black ship for 11 days of Bombay, made steam, by hand, and in the daylight, and the use of spare navigational lamps[oil] of torches. [the galleies both white and indian had oil fired ranges, and used the er forges for that extra meal. WAter for the sani system had to have the header tank topped up by hand- buckets on a rope down to the oggin, and then tipped into the tank.- Fresh water was a problem for all hands for washing, buckets from the domestic tanks, and those that wanted more sea water and the seawater soap?? The necessary repairs to both boilers Tube plugging was done by hand. The plant was cannibalised using the one of the steam steam generators as an evapourator, { the existing sea water/fresh water/ potable water evaporators had a major defect, and kept priming we could not produce water, unless it had a taste of salt. AS engineers we all had to pull together and limp back to Bahrain for help. This was in the days before the drydocks in the middle east.
The tanker had a checkerd history of failure, before and after I joined her, and a trip was not taken lightly in an 'IT' unless one wished for experience???
It was and is a shaggy dog story, except for those who shared the experience. WE had one shot at raising steam/starting the t/a's and[ the reserve boiler water we had was just 40 tonnes], and power Memories are now grey, misty and clouded, but the events at the time were a nightmare. One had to know ones ships.
WE were all part of the story, and I was thankful we all arrived in Bahrain knackered but alive.
Old 16th May 2018, 21:35

My location
Sailed with Bob Hoffman when he was a Lecky, great guy it was on the Crusader I believe.. he was dating Carol then. Bob bought an African Grey when we were on the African coast. He would play an endless tape on a tape recorder that said "Whistle, hello carol Whistle. Dumb bird never said a word so bob through the cage with the bird in it as we went up the English Channel heading for Grain... good times.
Old 17th May 2018, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBP View Post
Sailed with Bob Hoffman when he was a Lecky, great guy it was on the Crusader I believe.. he was dating Carol then. Bob bought an African Grey when we were on the African coast. He would play an endless tape on a tape recorder that said "Whistle, hello carol Whistle. Dumb bird never said a word so bob through the cage with the bird in it as we went up the English Channel heading for Grain... good times.
I sailed with Bob on the Crusader when he was 2/E and I was Leckie.

I joined on new years day 1971 in Falmouth. Being from Scotland, I was "Suitably lubricated" when I got on board. There was no Leckie on board when I joined, and it was quite some time later that Bob told me that me predecessor had been sacked for always being pi$$ed, and when I joined, Bob thought he'd got another pi$$head. What else did he expect on new years day, FFS?

Took me 3 months to get everything back together that my predecessor had pulled apart before he went for a beer or 20!

Good ship, though.
Old 17th May 2018, 16:10
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmirvine View Post
I sailed with Bob on the Crusader when he was 2/E and I was Leckie.

I joined on new years day 1971 in Falmouth. Being from Scotland, I was "Suitably lubricated" when I got on board. There was no Leckie on board when I joined, and it was quite some time later that Bob told me that me predecessor had been sacked for always being pi$$ed, and when I joined, Bob thought he'd got another pi$$head. What else did he expect on new years day, FFS?

Took me 3 months to get everything back together that my predecessor had pulled apart before he went for a beer or 20!

Good ship, though.
Jim,

Actually you are listed at Ass Eng on the Crusader. Your predecessor had a 10 year history with BP 62/71.

Eric Wheeldon was 3E at the time, I havn't been in touch with him for a long time. His son was ex BP EC and sailing as 2E 2006

Graham
Old 21st May 2018, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
Jim,

Actually you are listed at Ass Eng on the Crusader. Your predecessor had a 10 year history with BP 62/71.

Eric Wheeldon was 3E at the time, I havn't been in touch with him for a long time. His son was ex BP EC and sailing as 2E 2006

Graham
If you signed on as Ass Eng instead of Leckie, the sea tine counted towards your seconds ticket. Didn't make the slightest difference to the actual job, but if I'd stayed a bit longer, I might have gone for my tickets.

As it turned out, the oil crisis of 74/75 changed things. Ships were being laid up, and guys were getting paid off. I was lucky in that BP just happened to be desperate to get Leckie's for the Forties field, and as I lived near Dundee at the time, I jumped at the chance of a transfer.

The name Eric Wheeldon rings a bell, but I can't put a face to it at all. The memory must be failing I'm afraid.

Funny that I can remember the Chief's face, but not his name! I remember he lived near Aberdeen, and I bumped into him in the street in Stonehaven when I was on my next leave.

Strange how the memory works.

Jim